Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

forwarding ports for remote accesss??

Options
  • 19-09-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

hey lads wondering if someone could help m out here, i recently set up plex on my laptop but it says it can not see me from outside my network ive tried forwarding the port for plex (32400) on my linksys ea4500 router but im not sure ive done it right, when im forwarding the port should the ip be my computer ip? this is really getting to me if anyone could help id really appreciate it, i know for some this is basic networking but im not great in this area and id like to get better!!

thanks in advance.....

also not sure if this is important but i am using upc thompson medem and my linksys is connected through the thompson...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you might need to disable the firewall etc. on the thompson and just make sure it is functioning as a modem and not a router.

if it has an option for "DMZ" you can put the WAN IP address (i.e. the one assigned to it by the thompson) of your linksys into it and it will not block any traffic to that IP address, which might make life a bit easier for you.

follow this guide on your linksys to walk you through configuring port forwarding for plex: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Cisco/Linksys-EA4500/Plex_Media_Server.htm

there's also a thing on portforward.com to allow you to check to see if the right port(s) are open too, which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ufc pro

thanks for the reply my friend, i was doing a bit of reading on the plex forums and they mentioned about having a modem and a router running and double nat issues, but it said that would only be an issue if the modem and the router had the same ip which ive checked and they dont so im not sure if thats an issue, i have seen dmz in the router roiuter settings but have no idea what it does, ive also checked the link that plex gives to see if my ports are opened and it says they are not, i also downloaded port forward utllities which checks the ports but its strange that one has a totally different ip as in not 192.168.*.* its 89.100.178.*** which from what ive read is my external ip, i did not open ports to this ip i opened the ports to the internal (local) ip, its a bit comlicated to be honest but interesting at the same time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What you want:

Thompson --DMZ--->Linksys---Portfwd--->PC Running plex

Important: The PC needs a static local IP address for this to keep working and not need regular reconfiguration.

Advertisement