Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Google hangout replaces gTalk

• 17-05-2013 12:04pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm glad Google have finally tried to catch up with Facebook messenger. I've used it a little and its good, but still not quite there yet I think. Not sure if its a known bug but the keyboard goes haywire for me on my HCT One X when trying to use it, I have to switch to pc.

Funny the way the emoticons try to copy WhatsApp but they are not as good.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Zascar wrote: »
    What do you guys think?

Very much a rushed release. A big step backwards as it currently stands. I can't see my gtalk contacts list now, all I have is a mish mash of g+ contacts, a lot of whom I don't interact with over talk. I can no longer see if contacts are online, busy or offline which is a ridiculous omission. They should have waited until it was ready for release instead of releasing it in its current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

I dont have a front facing camera on my phone and its installed and working fine. Seems there are problems with it at the minute for example on my Dads S3 its coming up as if its installed but when I click open it goes to Gtalk.

IMessage is the only feature I would like to have from the IOS platform. Seems to be such a simple idea, but yet no joy on Android.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

/ponies
    /pitchforks
    /shyydino

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Ye im using Android, im sure they will remove that requirement as it doesn't make too much sense.

Add in Imessage like chat to Hangouts and I think it would be a clear winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Looks like it is now available for both the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.
    I've installed via the browser based play store and will have a play when at home later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

/ponies
    /pitchforks
    /shyydino

:pac:

they dont seem to work for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Trying to add contact's keep getting invalid email address messages :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

still think its poor,video calls not appearing to ring,just a 'missed call' notification about 20mins later

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

A320 wrote: »
    still think its poor,video calls not appearing to ring,just a 'missed call' notification about 20mins later

Yea..this is happening to me as well..I'm using a tablet if that's any use.good thing is you can uninstall and it goes back to gtalk

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

gtalk had the same problem,this was also tested in the same room on 2 different android phones on same wifi network,still didnt work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

A320 wrote: »

First day I had hassle but I assumed it was everyone trying to use it and was overloaded, its working fine on my end, even over crappy 3g...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Am I being retarded or have they got rid of the list of online contacts? It's pretty much useless without this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Iirc people where saying a contact is brighter if online and slightly greyed out if offline.

I think they want you to view it like Viber, Whatsapp, and SMS. That basically people are online all of the time and always contactable.

I feared that's what they were going for. I use Viber, Whatsapp and SMS to contact people when I actually need something from them. Have always used google talk (and previously MSN messenger many years ago) to just talk shít with whoever happened to be online. I dunno, I kind of see it as a less formal communication tool. You send messages to be people and if they don't reply no big deal. If i wanted someone to answer something important for me I'd never ask them over google chat.

Also looking at the app again, there definitely doesn't seem to be a way of seeing somebody's status. A lot of people are constantly signed in somewhere but may not actually be there. I'm currently in Australia so seeing a list of people that are online isn't anywhere near as useful as people who are actually available.

Advertisement