Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training sessions for Cross Country

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

For someone who was only in the team to 'make up the numbers' - you ran very well! You overtook me coming towards the end of the second lap and could see you taking out a load of girls as we went over the dips. Was catching a Raheny girl coming up to the finish but just missed her. Not sure it that was you or another girl?
    Collapsed on the ground afterwards otherwise I'd have attempted to introduce myself. ;)

Sorry we didn't meet! What club are you with? For identification purposes, there were five of us on the Raheny team and I was our third finisher - we had a young, fast runner who was quite far forward, then another younger girl with a long, blonde pony tail who was 2nd, then me, 2 places behind her, then my friend Mary, short blonde hair, and then another blond, ponytailed runner. actually, I suppose a quicker identification would have been to say that I was the brunette on the team :-)

How did you find it? I think maybe I didn't warm up enough (by the way, thanks to the Clonliffe women for taking me on their warm up lap when I arrived to late to do it with my own team!) or something because I found the pace so fast in the first km, and I was really far back. Settled into it then when we started the long laps and started to move through the field a bit. Really enjoyed the course, it was my first cross country in the Phoenix Park. How did you find it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I only knew it was you because you were in a Raheny singlet and everyone was shouting Helen at you so I'll let you away with not knowing who I am ;) I'm with Donore. Have no idea what colour hair the Raheny runner ahead of me had...there was a sportsworld runner there and one more - didn't know there was a Raheny until someone asked me after if I'd caught her!

Really enjoyed it. Had a brutal season last year and raced well today. Could've done with another lap though ;) good to start off on home ground this year!

I only knew it was you because you were in a Raheny singlet and everyone was shouting Helen at you so I'll let you away with not knowing who I am ;) I'm with Donore. Have no idea what colour hair the Raheny runner ahead of me had...there was a sportsworld runner there and one more - didn't know there was a Raheny until someone asked me after if I'd caught her!

Really enjoyed it. Had a brutal season last year and raced well today. Could've done with another lap though ;) good to start off on home ground this year!

We'll have to look at the results to see if we were neck & neck! I think Donore did pretty well. Did you come second? And your men won?? Well done!

Yes, a lot of people were shouting at me! There was great support.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 meathrunner

pistol_75 wrote: »
    A nice course to make your cross country debut :eek:

Presume you were having a laugh at me😳 It is a difficult hilly😡 course but guess what, I loved it! Well I swore to myself when I was starting second lap NEVER AGAIN but by time I crossed finish line & caught my breath I had put my name down for Athboy next Sunday!! it's definitely different to road running but a good challenge. Think was 4th FO40 so missed out on medal but was happy I did my best on the day.

Anyone know what Athboy course is like?

Well done to everyone who ran at the Dublin Novice today and a big thanks to Donore Harriers for organising it, and to all the supporters. I actually think I would just stop and walk if it wasn't for all the cheering! As I said upthread, thanks to Clonliffe for taking me under their wing for the warm up, and to my Donore & Sportsworld friends who cheered me on despite me being from a rival club. Thanks so much to Raheny for all the support too.
    Looking forward to more cross country this season now, now that last year's ankle woes are behind me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well that was a baptism of fire! How'd we all get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

pconn062 wrote: »
    Well that was a baptism of fire! How'd we all get on?

Managed 2nd today. Got absolutely soaked and the wind was enough to knock a house! Good ole XC weather. At least there was no mud!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    We'll have to look at the results to see if we were neck & neck! I think Donore did pretty well. Did you come second? And your men won?? Well done!

Yes, a lot of people were shouting at me! There was great support.

Yep we had individual gold, team silver and the boys won team gold...didn't stick around for the results so no idea where I actually placed. Not sure I want to either. :D

Yep we had individual gold, team silver and the boys won team gold...didn't stick around for the results so no idea where I actually placed. Not sure I want to either. :D

Brilliant!! Well done. I think I know one of your men's team ... Emmett? Well done to you all. Don't know where I placed either, but it think I spotted you in a photo and it was my friend Mary you were chasing - I think it's you - Raheny, Donore and Sportsworld in a group. The pics are up on. Raheny Shamrock AC Fit for Life Facebook page if you want to see if you can spot yourself!

Thats myself. She must have surged ahead there, looks like she's overtaking and the girls finished a couple of seconds ahead of me. I was totally oblivious to what was going on around me so she could very well have been running beside me the whole way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭D33

Sorry folks for hijacking thread but would anyone have a link to the cross-country calendar over the winter or is there anywhere central where there's a list?

Thinking of togging for a few and much handier having an idea of when and where they're on without having to resort to hrs of googling..

D33 wrote: »
    Sorry folks for hijacking thread but would anyone have a link to the cross-country calendar over the winter or is there anywhere central where there's a list?

Thinking of togging for a few and much handier having an idea of when and where they're on without having to resort to hrs of googling..

Check out the first post in this thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057284035

I see next Sundays cross country running in Meath is intermediate, can anyone tell me what this means? Worried it might be out of my league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I see next Sundays cross country running in Meath is intermediate, can anyone tell me what this means? Worried it might be out of my league.

At the club level, you have Novice, Intermediate and Senior level. If you win a medal in the Novice (Individual Gold/Silver/Bronze or Team Gold) then you can no longer compete at that level the next year. If you then win a medal at Intermediate, you can only compete at Senior level. If you haven't won any medals, then you can enter all 3 races if you so wish. Not sure of the standard in Meath but in Dublin, the standard tends to be fairly high for Novice and Intermediate but there's not a whole lot of difference between the two. There's a good spread so you wouldn't be amiss in either of the races as long as you do a bit of running.

Also, you have to be a member of a club to run in these races and in general club teams are entered by the coach and the cost is covered by the club.

Thanks for your help with this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

(I think) I enjoyed yesterday but still have no idea on what the best xc strategy is - probably different for each individual.

In the Dublin men’s novice, John Frazer tore up the received xc wisdom of "go out hard and hang on" by coming through after the first lap and winning by some distance in the end.

Anyone know what the Leinster novice/masters course in Avondale will be? Is there a standard course there? Might try to get out to it before the race.

Sacksian wrote: »
    (I think) I enjoyed yesterday but still have no idea on what the best xc strategy is - probably different for each individual.

In the Dublin men’s novice, John Frazer tore up the received xc wisdom of "go out hard and hang on" by coming through after the first lap and winning by some distance in the end.

Anyone know what the Leinster novice/masters course in Avondale will be? Is there a standard course there? Might try to get out to it before the race.

Word from a girl at the club is that the Avondale course is very challenging. She does a lot of cross country so I wouldn't take that description too lightly.

I went for the easy first lap too just like John. Couldn't believe it when I saw him only slightly ahead of me at the first bend. Given my currently level of fitness, I think it was the optimal strategy. Going for the race myself fit approach and will be out in the BHAA race at the weekend again. More for the after spread than anything. It was something else last year.

Just saw that the National Novice is in Santry. Looks like we won't be straying too far from the capital this winter.

What's the BHAA course? Is it just around the rugby pitches? Considered heading out myself...

What's the BHAA course? Is it just around the rugby pitches? Considered heading out myself...

It's a 1 mile loop going around 2 sets of pitches. There is a sharp change of level between the two sets of pitches that can knock the stuffing out off you but its completely flat otherwise. It was one of my favourites last year. I'd definitely recommend.

Teachers-Combined-flyer.png

We have our intermediate cross country this weekend, any else the same. One week apart from the novice is not ideal, would love another weeks training. Logistically it would work out well too, as we have three weeks to senior then after this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

pconn062 wrote: »
    We have our intermediate cross country this weekend, any else the same. One week apart from the novice is not ideal, would love another weeks training. Logistically it would work out well too, as we have three weeks to senior then after this weekend.

Dublin seems completely out of sync ( I assume because it counts as our provincials also) Seniors is 6 weeks away with Intermediates another 8 so plenty of time to get down to work for us

ecoli wrote: »
    Dublin seems completely out of sync ( I assume because it counts as our provincials also) Seniors is 6 weeks away with Intermediates another 8 so plenty of time to get down to work for us

Senior before the intermediate? That's a bit strange, but overall that's a much better setup that we have here in Louth. 2 big races like this in two weekends is too much and then the senior race falls every year the week after the marathon, meaning anyone doing DCM is pretty much a write off for the senior race. Would love for them to be stretched out a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Is it to coordinate with the Leinster races?

RayCun wrote: »
    Is it to coordinate with the Leinster races?

Could be but it's still not ideal. The Leinster novice falls the week before our senior race, so effectively if you did out three county races and the Leinster novice you are running 4 races in 5 weekends.

Sacksian wrote: »

This is Avondale
    http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/237966068

Lost one of our small group here guys, a real shame. Anyway, how are we all getting on? Anyone running the Gerry Farnan this weekend? (or whatever it's called now!). Ran our intermediate x-country at the weekend with a bad dose and chesty cough. Started really slow at the back as I wasn't sure if I could run at all and just worked my way up towards the end, finishing strong, 8k in 29:56. Nice feeling passing people at the end of a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Ran the Kildare intermediate XC 6k on Sunday. Was surprisingly warm. The course wasn't as bad as the Novices the previous week but had a couple of transitions that were a little tricky thanks to some rocks. Finished in 26:35 for 18th out of 26. Wasn't particularly happy with the time but was happy with my position relative to lads from the club finishing in the places ahead of me. I'm not sure whats next up, the senior race isn't on till the end of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

why only 6k for the intermediate? was novices shorter or same distance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Have the intermediate this week. With the novice in the legs And 3 decent sessions since I should be in decent enough shape. It's an 8k so a bit longer than I like but I had a good run in it last year and enjoyed it so let's hope this year is the same :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

RayCun wrote: »
    why only 6k for the intermediate? was novices shorter or same distance?

For some reason the novices and masters were only 3k, the intermediate 6k and the senior race 10k.

Advertisement