Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Look what I 'done'

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Leslie91 wrote: »
    What is it with this use of the word 'done'?. Is it being taught in schools these days or what?. I must hear 3 or 4 people a day say 'that's what we done, I done it etc etc.

WTF, why can't people get this right and stop talking like poorly educated morons?.

I think you've punctuated enough there. The question mark serves to punctuate the end of your sentence. No need for the full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Are you saying the Oxford English Dictionary isn't a standard?
    Its a standard, of sorts, for British English. Webster is another, this time for US English. How can people not know there are different dialects of English?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

CiaranC wrote: »
    Its a standard, of sorts, for British English. Webster is another, this time for US English. How can people not know there are different dialects of English?

If 'I done' and 'I did' come from 2 different dialects and yet 'I did' is the one that appears in 'standards' docs/books and is probably the only one that would pass a proof read test for advertising (see Nike example earlier) then I'm happy the 'dialect' I use/speak has me using 'I did'.

And imho this is what our kids should be encouraged to use be they talking or writing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

There is no Standard or even "standard". Common usage dictates what is "right", being understood and being able to communicate effectively is paramount.

If I am writing an essay or talking to friends, for example, then what is "right" or at least acceptable will change. It is more about formality than there being any sort of accepted broad "standard" English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Leslie91 wrote: »
    If 'I done' and 'I did' come from 2 different dialects and yet 'I did' is the one that appears in 'standards' docs/books and is probably the only one that would pass a proof read test for advertising (see Nike example earlier) then I'm happy the 'dialect' I use/speak has me using 'I did'.
    For most of us here in Ireland some part of our speech would not pass such a test. For example your "has me using" is just as divergent as "I done".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Janey_Mac

There is no Standard or even "standard". Common usage dictates what is "right", being understood and being able to communicate effectively is paramount.

If I am writing an essay or talking to friends, for example, then what is "right" or at least acceptable will change. It is more about formality than there being any sort of accepted broad "standard" English.

I'm inclined to disagree somewhat; the language used in your essay would be similar to that found in a serious newspaper, which would be similar to that used by a newsreader or someone giving a formal speech. Those would usually all be examples (all probably with exceptions to be found, but we're talking broadly here) of the "standard" dialect in whatever country you were in.

And of course, this "standard" is not fixed and immutable, no more than any dialect is; it's the standard only in that time and that place.

Would you be adverse to the term "privileged dialect" instead of "standard dialect"? After all, the "standard" dialect in any given area is just the one that happened to end up being spoken by a prestige group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Janey_Mac wrote: »
    Would you be adverse to the term "privileged dialect" instead of "standard dialect"? After all, the "standard" dialect in any given area is just the one that happened to end up being spoken by a prestige group.

Kind of as I said this is more "formality" than any sort of standard. It is standard in the sense of being standard (common formal usage) not in being an actual standard (a spec of sorts or something like with French or even Irish).

My gripe with people saying that something is not "standard" or "proper" English in day to day usage (informal speech or on this forum for example) is that there is absolutely no such thing as that "standard"/"Proper" English. The importance is being understood and communicating ideas.

Basically talking about formal instances is a whole other ballgame and obviously is held to higher standards (but that being more about formality, not any sort of actual standard/spec)

Advertisement