Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Okay :) What do you do the week before it, take it easy?
    I think on thursday I should do another 20-30 min slow one or should I go shorter again and some sprints? And then friday I'll just swim and that should sort me for saturday...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think on thursday I should do another 20-30 min slow one or should I go shorter again and some sprints? And then friday I'll just swim and that should sort me for saturday...

What I did for my first race was on the Thursday I did a “light” run as I was running 10 K, the group that I run with did a 5 K run, and the same when we did an 8 K race.
    So maybe not a full 5K but maybe 3 or so
    I was advised to drink plenty of water on the day of the race, and to have pasta for my lunch, both races were in the evening.
    Maybe have a look at

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/cardio/6-tips-for-running-a-5k-race.html
    http://beta.active.com/articles/running/8-tips-for-your-first-race
    http://beta.active.com/articles/running/10-race-day-tips-to-remember

and one bit of advice, stay towards the back at the start, as it can be a bit rough at times but after a few hundred meters it thins out a bit

Best of luck with your race

• Registered Users Posts: 13,205 ✭✭✭✭fits

Had physio today (sciatica issues) I'm in bits after it :( It didnt even feel like he was going hard on me at the time. He's said its problem with L5 and also sacroiliac joint.

Couldn't even contemplate running now and not tomorrow either.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

I usually take it easy before a race so for a Saturday race so I wouldn't run on Thursday or Friday or just do a light run on Thursday. I like having fresh legs for a race and it usually helps me go a little further or faster. As someone else said, theres lots of distractions and usually a good atmosphere during the races so it helps it go faster. Try to stick to your usual pace at the start and speed up after the first couple of kms if you feel good. Everyone takes off so fast for the first mile its easy to get carried away but on the same note don't get stuck behind the walkers cos then you have to weave in and out and use up your energy!

I got an email about an early bird rate on the run in the dark today, think there is 4 euro off to Saturday if you are signing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

fits wrote: »
    Had physio today (sciatica issues) I'm in bits after it :( It didnt even feel like he was going hard on me at the time. He's said its problem with L5 and also sacroiliac joint.

Couldn't even contemplate running now and not tomorrow either.

I had problems with this a few years back, it's well up there with some of the worst pain I've ever had, the kind of pain that makes you cry like a kid :o The joint was weak, so dropped down out of place.

The physio was great and strengthened it back into place after a few sessions, and gave me exercises to do anytime it started niggling. Thankfully it hasn't given an ounce of trouble since.

Stick with the physio and keep the chin up, it'll get fixed and you'll be back running when your body is ready for it :)

• Advertisement

Ouch that sounds bad :(

Up to now I thought it was just the lumbar spine that was at issue. This SI thing is a new one but explains the bit of bilateral pain I have I guess.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Did Week 6 Day 3 today, 22 minutes of running :eek: and I managed it :cool: (only barely but still did it).

The legs were hanging off me, lol. So delighted with myself, woohoo! I'm afraid to look at the Week 7 runs just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Week 4 started yesterday. Actually wasn't bad going. The 3 min runs are a lot easier in comparison to the 5 mins runs! Could really feel it in my calves during the 5 mins runs. Bloody running app gave trouble again so I'll just get rid of it and download a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Last year I finished C2 5K then winter hit and I just stopped running. Bad bad idea. I started again this summer but have been lazy about it, running a load of easy runs - I needed the bit of exercise but didn't want to work too hard.

That mentality is over I'm pushing myself again and am at W6D2 with the aim to hit W8 and keep running!

I was wondering if any one has any reccomendations (running groups, signing up for races) to keep it up over the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dortilolma wrote: »
    Last year I finished C2 5K then winter hit and I just stopped running. Bad bad idea. I started again this summer but have been lazy about it, running a load of easy runs - I needed the bit of exercise but didn't want to work too hard.

That mentality is over I'm pushing myself again and am at W6D2 with the aim to hit W8 and keep running!

I was wondering if any one has any reccomendations (running groups, signing up for races) to keep it up over the winter?

I would like to keep it up too but I'm not sure if I will be able to with the dark evenings setting in! I've only started running in the last 2 months - hopefully ill have a bit of motivation to keep going after the mini marathon next month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Just came across this on the Amazon Kindle store - it's an ebook for running for beginners and it's free today and tomorrow.

Running Tips: Ready to Run!

I haven't read it yet so I can't vouch for it but it's FREE! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Dortilolma wrote: »

You could move onto the Five to 10k App, also sign yourself up for a few runs, have a look through RunIreland for events in your area.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A lot of athletics clubs have a Fit4Life group - could be worth having a look to see if your local club has one?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    You could move onto the Five to 10k App, also sign yourself up for a few runs, have a look through RunIreland for events in your area.

I was thinking about the five to 10K app though I'm not quite comfortable with 5K yet is it worth starting if 30 minutes is still a bit of a hassel?

Thanks for the runireland site - I've bookmarked it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I knew running outside was harder but jayz today was a disaster
    tempted to do some short sprints before swim tomorrow to make up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Started W7D1 two nights ago. I was running fine, but 10 minutes in I could feel the muscle in my left calf become stiff and tight. Not painful but at the same time it was causing a bit of discomfort so I stopped. Was doing fine other than that. Going to have a few days rest before I go out again. I work in a school so got advice from both PE teachers today on stretches and ways to sort out the problem. :D

Gosh we're all having problems!

Went to the swim/sauna last night, and beginning to feel normal enough again. Might go back to W6R1 again tomorrow and do that on the good surface and see how it goes.

I've just bought a bicycle... maybe that will be the way forward, but I do like running. Two more physio appointments next week!

Glad the swimming helps, fits :) just did some now and sauna, feel weak as a kitten :p

Well it turns out the the struggle I had on the runs at the start of the week weren't just down to being lazy :pac: I woke yesterday morning covered in a rash from head to toe due to a delayed allergic reaction to antibiotics I just finished!

Anyway I'm hoping the rash clears up and my energy returns by tomorrow morning...I'll be gutted if I don't make the GPR :(

To everyone else going ..enjoy :)

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    Well it turns out the the struggle I had on the runs at the start of the week weren't just down to being lazy :pac: I woke yesterday morning covered in a rash from head to toe due to a delayed allergic reaction to antibiotics I just finished!

Anyway I'm hoping the rash clears up and my energy returns by tomorrow morning...I'll be gutted if I don't make the GPR :(

To everyone else going ..enjoy :)

Worst comes to worst you can stroll it! :)
    Hope you feel better!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks bluewolf, hopefully.

Just wanted to add this link for anyone living in Dublin who's interested..

"We are a group of recreational runners that get together for social runs around Dublin".

Aww, it would be a shame for you to miss it Candy_Girl. Hope you feel up to it tomorrow! :)

Glad the swimming helps, fits :) just did some now and sauna, feel weak as a kitten :p

It really helps me. So relaxing. Its a winter swimming club by a lake. Went there the first time when it was -22 one evening.. Some shock to the system to get into a frozen lake at that temperature! You can't exactly run back into the sauna either with all the iice!

Nervous and excited for the GPR!!

Good luck to everyone else doing it. :)

Good luck! Am hanging around here! Mum is off starting the 10k :)

Good luck everyone, cant wait to hear the reports.

Omg I survived
    did walk a few mins esp at the hill, but was faster than walkers and think it was under 40 which was all I wanted! Afk throwing up and dying :p

Well done!!!

Guy in head to toe pink spiderman suit was hilarious

how'd ye get on ladies, didn't see anyone

• Advertisement

Well done bluey, and fair play to your mum!

The hill nearly killed me, I was going pretty fast until then! But I made it! Then I started my sprint to the finish line a bit early and thought I would die, lol.

Not sure of my time because I didn't start my watch on time but I did under 32 mins anyway, yay!! Really happy. :)

Advertisement