Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meteor Port Blocking

• 26-05-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭

I rang Meteor yesterday evening to (finally) make an official complaint about their port blocking of Android phones.

They informed me that it is a known problem; which they have the capability to fix. They are unwilling to open the ports for security reasons.

I am currently not able to use: Wapedia, WaveSecure, My Tracks, My Maps or Sports Tracker properly due to this problem. Two of these apps are subscription based, so that is an immediate problem.

I actually like Meteors Service, but this is really making me angry. Apps are what makes Android great, so this is spoiling the whole experience. I am seriously thinking of seeking a refund from them & moving network - I have been trying to get this situation resolved since buying the phone in November & was given the impression it was a fault on the network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I've noticed I can't log in to Photobucket, only over wifi. I tried to post on the Meteor forum but my thread was never published.

One for CT I think. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭neonman

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I rang Meteor yesterday evening to (finally) make an official complaint about their port blocking of Android phones.

They informed me that it is a known problem; which they have the capability to fix. They are unwilling to open the ports for security reasons.

I am currently not able to use: Wapedia, WaveSecure, My Tracks, My Maps or Sports Tracker properly due to this problem. Two of these apps are subscription based, so that is an immediate problem.

I actually like Meteors Service, but this is really making me angry. Apps are what makes Android great, so this is spoiling the whole experience. I am seriously thinking of seeking a refund from them & moving network - I have been trying to get this situation resolved since buying the phone in November & was given the impression it was a fault on the network.

I just downloaded Wapedia to see if I had the same problem and I get connected fine to the application and can browse around it fine? I've a Hero (rooted and on 2.1) on the Meteor network.

Just tried that here too, seems ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Unusual - I've been through the mill with the developer & they were convinced it was a port issue. Well strike Wapedia off the list then...

Can you confirm if you are using the latest update of Wapedia - the problem started for me after the last update a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Wapedia release 1.7.3 ok here on nexus with meteor pay as u go sim

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Unusual - I've been through the mill with the developer & they were convinced it was a port issue. Well strike Wapedia off the list then...

Can you confirm if you are using the latest update of Wapedia - the problem started for me after the last update a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, 1.7.3 here too.

What version of Android are you running?

Can you access via wifi?

JustinOval wrote: »
    Yes, 1.7.3 here too.

What version of Android are you running?

Can you access via wifi?

Running 1.5 unrooted. Not using wifi as I pay for unlimited data & have connection issues with my home wifi/android...

But if you can't access via wifi either that will rule out a port blocking issue.

JustinOval wrote: »
    But if you can't access via wifi either that will rule out a port blocking issue.
    This has gone completely off topic...

I didn't say I can't access the apps via wi-fi. I said I don't...

Just as a test, how can you be sure it is a port blocking problem when we have confirmed working apps with the same provider?

I suspect it could be a 1.5 incompatibility issue, the wifi test will help prove this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

It might be a good idea for you to post your 3g settings (what apn your using, proxy information, etc). I'm not a meteor user but those that are might spot a problem in your settings.
    Also its possible that you have a proxy in the 3G settings, as far as I know you don't need one on the meteor network on any apn, so if its the case try removing it as this would cause exactly the type of problem you are having. Additionally you may be able to use different apns depending on you plan, which don't have the same port restrictions.

Finally if you can't fix it and plan on switching networks then if you travel at all, I would recomend using vodafone due to the fact that they don't charge you anything extra for data roaming on the live apn (which tbh sounds like an oversight to me, hopefully one they won't fix any time soon) which is definetly not port blocked (although the default setting used a proxy, which put annoying banners on webpages, this doesn't have to be used). If your problem persists then maybe its a problem with the version of android your running and I might suggest upgrading to a newer version (assuming one is available, it will probably require you root your phone).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I haven't had any connection problems with Meteor. data.mymeteor.ie is my APN... the network in general is pretty spotty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

I have My Tracks working no problem on my Legend. There is a known issue with Meteor Port Blocking but I think the fact that you're not running 2.1 might be an issue in itself cause I know I certainly couldn't access certain apps on the Market until I upgraded my software

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Capt. Insano

I have a similar problem on my iPhone,
    it is a Factory Unlocked iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.0.1 on Meteor

my apn settings are:
    APN: data.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: meteor

I use a RSS reader call Reeder which is brilliant but it will only sync over wifi. I think it must be down to port-blocking as I have sync over 3G enabled and it does work for my friends on other networks.

Could anyone else confirm this problem for me?

I have been unable to find out what port it is that Reeder uses but I think it must be 8080 as I have read that is a blocked port by Meteor. Could anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I have a similar problem on my iPhone,
    it is a Factory Unlocked iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.0.1 on Meteor

my apn settings are:
    APN: data.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: meteor

I use a RSS reader call Reeder which is brilliant but it will only sync over wifi. I think it must be down to port-blocking as I have sync over 3G enabled and it does work for my friends on other networks.

Could anyone else confirm this problem for me?

I have been unable to find out what port it is that Reeder uses but I think it must be 8080 as I have read that is a blocked port by Meteor. Could anyone confirm?

I had the same problem. Was working, then it stopped. Tried to get a resolution but no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Playsatan

Im having the same problem with dropbox. I cant access any of my dropbox folder on the 3G but its fine on wifi.

Advertisement