Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up Skilling / Career Progression Ideas

• 02-07-2014 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some input regarding routes for personal up skilling. As a background I have an M.Eng in Electronic and Computers, with a good background in Linux, App development etc from my college days. Always been an IT enthusiast. However, I'd love to have some professional accreditation especially in server systems, cloud systems and mobile deployments. Cisco Certifications have been on my radar for a while.

Any input welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What area are you looking to get into? I'm guessing operations/sys admin/SRE kinda thing? If you're just interested in certifications, Cisco, Linux/A/Network+, LPI, Puppet are always useful things to have on a CV, but experience is always king so pet projects can be more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thank you feylya. Its just to have a good grounding in the various parts of enterprise systems and cloud. I understand them, and have plenty of projects and reading, its just nice to have some form of back up as a certificate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

ironclaw wrote: »
    Thank you feylya. Its just to have a good grounding in the various parts of enterprise systems and cloud. I understand them, and have plenty of projects and reading, its just nice to have some form of back up as a certificate etc.

Take into consideration virtualization solutions like VMWare, HyperV, Citrix.
    Get familiar yourself with AWS cloud, Rackspace cloud. Scripting in Powershell and bash would be great to have. Are you looking for a job or just want to learn more stuff?

Take a look on pluralsight.com, lynda.com there are plenty tutorials/courses. All you need is time to learn everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks sebphoto. Its for personal upskilling as I already work and have an avid interest in the IT world.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

By the way I hope that you mastered vi/vim editor :) Emacs is also very popular in some places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

ironclaw wrote: »
    Cisco Certifications have been on my radar for a while.

Any input welcome!

Avoid Cisco Certification. It's going to be massively oversubscribed in the next 5 years when Meraki (which Cisco have bought) takes out their medium to small business business. That means any idiot with a browser can completely configure a relatively sophisticated LAN & WAN leaving IOS knowledge for Large Enterprise/Telco. Most IT Management I know are clearing out expensive Cisco certified staff over the next 5 years as the skillset it no longer necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

micosoft wrote: »
    Avoid Cisco Certification. It's going to be massively oversubscribed in the next 5 years when Meraki (which Cisco have bought) takes out their medium to small business business. That means any idiot with a browser can completely configure a relatively sophisticated LAN & WAN leaving IOS knowledge for Large Enterprise/Telco. Most IT Management I know are clearing out expensive Cisco certified staff over the next 5 years as the skillset it no longer necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

i suppose you could always break it down into individual modules for yourself...

Cisco for the compute..

Cisco For the networking..

EMC for the storage..

VMware for the virtualization...

So we would be talking Cisco UCS, Cisco nexus + mds switches.
    EMC VNXe, VNX, Symmetrics (VMAX), Extreme I/O, Data Domain etc, fundamentals of each are available as free elearning courses on emc's education website.

Then onto visualization. VMware is the way things are going now the VCP-DCV is the norm for entry level i guess but there is tons of vides and stuff online about it.

Advertisement