Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you like to leave the Catholic Church?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

marty1985 wrote: »
    krudler wrote: »
    er, no, the catholic church has set rules to abide by to be really considered a catholic, people picking and choosing what beliefs suit them makes them a christian, not a catholic, but people in this country seem to be unable to tell the difference between being born a catholic and being a practicing one.

Sorry krudler, people are still free to choose their own religious identity. In fact, they just did recently in a big census.

The reality is that a lot of people identify in the census as Catholic, and they have their reasons for doing so. We can all make unwarranted assumptions about what those reasons are, and then complain because the presumed reasons do not meet their own criteria but be honest, it’s not a line of argument that people find very compelling.
    They're cultural Catholics which is not the same as a practicing catholic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No. I dont intend leaving the catholic church. However i am not of the same opinion all the time as the pope, that is an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

They're nominal Catholics, yes. Nobody, not even the Pope, would assume they are all practicing. It's not the purpose of the census to find out how well they practice their faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    love these Boards.ie polls... They never ever reflect reality.

Just the reality of the opinions of boards users, a demographic all of our own.

I'd be interested to see how many votes are from recently registered, low post count, "single-issue" accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

No intention of leaving really. Although I'm very al a carte in my approach to Catholicism. Went at Christmas with my Dad and got really p1ssed off that they changed the words in the prayers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Not Calling you a Hun, just sick of Catholics calling non Catholics that mostly Celtic fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

krudler wrote: »
    you get shot out of a cannon off the cliffs of Moher.

I like the sound of that!! :D

Bring on the Moher i say

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Odats wrote: »
    No intention of leaving really. Although I'm very al a carte in my approach to Catholicism. Went at Christmas with my Dad and got really p1ssed off that they changed the words in the prayers.

I don't like the bit where you have to shake hands with the people around you, especially as most of them are gobsh1tes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Nah I'm alright.

I want to keep my free pass into heaven thank you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Cork24 wrote: »
    Not Calling you a Hun, just sick of Catholics calling non Catholics that mostly Celtic fans.

Is 'hun' not only used as a derogatory slur to Rangers fans? I wasn't aware of its use in the broader social sphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Is 'hun' not only used as a derogatory slur to Rangers fans? I wasn't aware of its use in the broader social sphere.

Would be mostly used up the north i would imagine as a reference to protestants but then they call catholics taigs which is just as bad.

Advertisement