Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you like to leave the Catholic Church?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

I'm not bothered. I don't consider being splashed with water a binding contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Witchie wrote: »
    I insist in Hospitals etc that they put me down as no religion but have had to fight with many nurses to ensure they do. Thankfully in recent years they are starting to listen to me.

I had a fairly long argument with a nurse because my mother told them I was catholic and I said I wasn't. The nurse thought "but your mother knows what's best for you" would change my mind.

My uncle also had to call hospital security to remove a priest that tried to visit him a week before he died.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Crea wrote: »
    TBH I don't believe in fundatmental parts of the religion like transubstantiation and that Mary was born without sin so i'd prefer to opt out. I think that's a good enough reason.

Mary wasn't born.
    GarIT wrote: »
    My uncle also had to call hospital security to remove a priest that tried to visit him a week before he died.

Thats the priests motto, Get them when they are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Stopped going to mass when I was 13/14 (other than Christmas which would done purely as a traditional thing and I haven't even done that in a while). Don't need a letter from anyone to tell me that I've left. I've left in my own head and that's what matters to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Knowing my luck, the day after telling them I've quit, they'll be handing out free Beemers. I'll hedge my bets for a little while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

i dont see how its a big deal its only religion the church never really asks for anything so i might as wel stay just to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Mary wasn't born.

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

i dont see how its a big deal its only religion the church never really asks for anything so i might as wel stay just to be safe

what do you think the vatican was built from? well wishes and prayers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

marty1985 wrote: »
    What do you mean?

She's not real....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

krudler wrote: »
    what do you think the vatican was built from? well wishes and prayers?

the vatician was there before the catholic church
    the church does ask for donations and i wont defend them because I'm not that religious but you dont have to give anything in return for membership you dont even have to go. (how would you actually leave besides just not calling your selve a catholic )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

the church does ask for donations and i wont defend them because I'm not that religious but you dont have to give anything in return for membership you dont even have to go.

you get nothing in return for giving them your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

smash wrote: »

Do you not still get Spiritual healing and the ocassional newsletter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

MugMugs wrote: »
    Do you not still get Spiritual healing and the ocassional newsletter?

Spiritual healing.... you crack me up man. You probably have to pay for the newsletter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ProfessorWeeto

The Poll stands at:

Yes I would like to leave the Catholic Church - 75.65%
    No I would not like to leave the Catholic Church - 13.91%
    I have never been a member of the Catholic Church 10.43%

Why am I not suprised to see "Yes I would like to leave the Catholic Church" topping the polls at 75%? Would I actually be wrong to think the 'anti chruch' athiests we see on here voted in option 1, even tho they arent apart of the church :rolleyes: .. can't pass up an opportunity to try and make Ireland seem more people are favoring no religion these days (sure, there was a big debate by them about the census last week :rolleyes:)

What do you mean?

Mary’s birth, which is not contained in Scripture, but the sanctity of which is attested by the words of the angel Gabriel.

It would take many centuries, though, for the Catholic Church to recognize the Immaculate Conception as a doctrine, and many more before Pope Pius IX, on December 8, 1854, would declare it a dogma.

There is no biblical support or scriptural basis for the Immaculate Conception of Mary doctrine.

The first mention of this is in the 6th century, the feast spread to Rome in the seventh century, and the west much later.

Mary’s birth, which is not contained in Scripture, but the sanctity of which is attested by the words of the angel Gabriel.

It would take many centuries, though, for the Catholic Church to recognize the Immaculate Conception as a doctrine, and many more before Pope Pius IX, on December 8, 1854, would declare it a dogma.

There is no biblical support or scriptural basis for the Immaculate Conception of Mary doctrine.

You said she wasn't born. The Immaculate Conception refers to the dogma that she was born without original sin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

The Poll stands at:

Why am I not suprised to see "Yes I would like to leave the Catholic Church" topping the polls at 75%? Would I actually be wrong to think the 'anti chruch' athiests we see on here voted in option 1, even tho they arent apart of the church :rolleyes: .. can't pass up an opportunity to try and make Ireland seem more people are favoring no religion these days (sure, there was a big debate by them about the census last week :rolleyes:)

I believe a lot of people were probably put down as catholic by their family in the Census.

I don't believe 84% of Irish people are practicing Catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

smash wrote: »

That's your opinion yes but I imagine those with faith get quite a lot out of attending religious services.

The Poll stands at:

isnt that the problem? if people werent part of the church as they wanted we wouldnt be having this discussion.

the 84% statistic is bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

In Germany you've got to pay a church tax if you put down your religion as Catholic/Protestant etc. So I left it blank. They won't be getting any of my money.

Anyway I think the full moon is coming up. Got to go get a goat for the Feast of Blood...

woodoo wrote: »
    I believe a lot of people were probably put down as catholic by their family in the Census.

Sure, who would believe that?

But the census makes no attempt to measure people who are properly practising Catholics. Nor should it; it is no concern of the state's how well DEFTLEFTHAND practices his Catholicism or you practice your skepticism.

The state is interested in knowing how people see themselves in religious terms; not in making assumptions or devising rules about how people ought to see themselves in religious terms, and then trying to skew the census question to get people to answer in those terms.

This seems to be a big problem for atheists, but fair minded people are getting tired of pointing out that's only a "problem" in so far as you don't like the way people choose to characterise themselves. And I'm afraid that's your problem, not theirs. You're just going to have to live with it. Catholics, it should be noted, are human beings; they have dignity; they have autonomy. They get to control and determine their own religious identity according to criteria which seem proper to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

who would believe that?

But the census makes no attempt to measure people who are properly practising Catholics. Nor should it; it is no concern of the state's how well DEFTLEFTHAND practices his Catholicism or you practice your skepticism.

The state is interested in knowing how people see themselves in religious terms; not in making assumptions or devising rules about how people ought to see themselves in religious terms, and then trying to skew the census question to get people to answer in those terms.

This seems to be a big problem for atheists, but fair minded people are getting tired of pointing out that's only a "problem" in so far as you don't like the way people choose to characterise themselves. And I'm afraid that's your problem, not theirs. You're just going to have to live with it. Catholics, it should be noted, are human beings; they have dignity; they have autonomy. They get to control and determine their own religious identity according to criteria which seem proper to them.

I'm not atheist, i am agnostic. I don't damn people for believing in God. Believing in God doesn't belong to the catholic church.

I just find the Catholic Church's teachings on many things to be dodgy.

I'm not atheist, i am agnostic. I don't damn people for believing in God. Believing in God doesn't belong to the catholic church.

I just find the Catholic Church's teachings on many things to be dodgy.

OK, cool. Please consider my post not directed at you personally.

92% of primary schools are controlled by RCC.

This is the issue we have with the census.

I couldn't care less what fairy stories you believe in. You are not a catholic unless you follow their rules exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

someone post a clip of the simpsons leader episode where they get up to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The other 16% post on After Hours and skew any related polls to give the impression that 99% of the entire population are atheists.

The 84% can't use keyboards because their hands are stuck together, and they couldn't reach them anyway because they're always kneeling down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Kess73 wrote: »
    If you don't believe in it you've left it. It's not as if we're branded or something.

You would still be listed as being part of it in the official figures, and I think that those figures have a bearing on funding etc the church can get in Ireland. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on that than I can either confirm or debunk that.

The only figure that would count in this case would be the census figures, which is an entirely different discussion. The Catholic Church would be able to say how many baptisms took place in a given year, but otherwise they would have no clear numbers and would also rely on the census. If you don't consider yourself a Catholic and didn't declare yourself a Catholic in the census, then you aren't one.

• Advertisement

Sure, who would believe that?

er, no, the catholic church has set rules to abide by to be really considered a catholic, people picking and choosing what beliefs suit them makes them a christian, not a catholic, but people in this country seem to be unable to tell the difference between being born a catholic and being a practicing one.

Advertisement