Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky hacked emails in 'public interest'

• 06-04-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

A Murdoch-headed media outlet did something underhanded? I, for one, am shocked, OP. :eek:

But they did it for the right reason. I thought laws were made to be broken.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

As long as people buy it, they will keep at it. At bottom,the Murdoch empire doesnt care about ethics, the law, its employees, etc. NOTW closure was a sham, b/c their market share remains the same anyway, as they knew it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

By the same logic that pie in the face was in the public interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I wonder if the "public interest" thing will work on everything now...

Guy stands up in court:
    "I beat him up alright your honour, but I did it in the public interest... he's a right bollix"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

No surprises. It would make you wonder does it stop here or is this still the tip of the iceberg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Aquila wrote: »
    Anyone genuinely surprised?

Nope, I'm sure the Sun on Sunday is a flop, the public turned up their noses at the NotW replacement. Yeah, right.

The main beneficiary of the NotW closure in Ireland was the Mirror.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

The exception proves the rule.

So anything that is right is wrong.
    Anything that is right is wrong. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Any more news about this report?

How the fcuk do you hack into an email account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Freddie59 wrote: »

Probably planting spyware to gain sensitive details. "Hack" seems to be tagged to everything these days so non-technical people can get their head around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

When did reporters learn how to hack?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The only reason Sky would hack emails is to get stories to boost its profits.

Public interest, me left one. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Freddie59 wrote: »

You don't need to hack it. The weakest link is always the user. People are fools

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hacking private email of people "suspected of crime" is just a lame excuse for invading privacy.
    In my opinion it;s in the public interest to hack Murdochs mail, does that mean it's ok?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's in the public interest then maybe,

but the judge would have to consider Sky's coverage of other hackers, if at any state sky has portrayed them as negative then of course they have just destroyed that defence as you can't have it both ways.

Even if it is in the public interest you must still be accountable, and that means those who hacked and those who authorised it and those who benefited from it in any way must be held accountable, and not just when caught. By not volunteering the information before it was requested they have lost that defence too.

So far they haven't a leg to stand on as it was done illegally

the acid test then not whether it was in the public interest but that even if it was, could the story, not pieces of the story, have appeared without it ?

Oh and these tests would have to apply to each and every case.

However, the parent organisation has already paid out millions because of fishing for stories that were not and could not be in the public interest , so jail them all :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Anyone genuinely surprised?

Thats nothing (well not really!).

For those that missed other quiet news, a Sky company was found to have hacked into a ITV rival repeatedly to effect their ability to operate!

This to me is just as serious, if not more so.
    Its (or should be) industrial sabotage!

See: http://www.digitalspy.ie/tech/news/a373442/news-corps-nds-accused-of-itv-digital-hack.html
    “Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation is facing more questions over past wrongdoings after a BBC Panorama investigation alleged that one of its subsidiaries sabotaged the ITV Digital service.
    NDS stands accused of hacking the smartcards used by ITV Digital – the service first launched in 1998 as On Digital, a rival to the part News Corp-owned Sky. ”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Biggins wrote: »
    Thats nothing (well not really!).

For those that missed other quiet news, a Sky company was found to have hacked into a ITV rival repeatedly to effect their ability to operate!

This to me is just as serious, if not more so.
    Its (or should be) industrial sabotage!

See: http://www.digitalspy.ie/tech/news/a373442/news-corps-nds-accused-of-itv-digital-hack.html

Holy shit! It's like the plot of some ridiculous, crappy B-movie (and the name "News Corp" more than fits that theory--is that not the lamest name for a media company ever?!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Any more news about this report?
    Sky News admits 'canoe man' John Darwin email hack
    BBC News - ‎Apr 5, 2012‎
    Sky News has said it illegally hacked emails belonging to members of the public on two separate occasions. The broadcaster said it hacked emails from John Darwin, who faked his own death in a canoe, and his wife Anne. A spokesman for Sky News said ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17628600

Leave sky news alone! They work entirely in the public interest and as part of the Murdoch empire are above the law.

• Advertisement
Advertisement