Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents letting their children smoke

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

token101 wrote: »
    Ah you're right, I see it now. Instead of banning them from smoking around the house, cutting off money, grounding them until they stop and just generally making life as difficult as possible for them, just accept it sure, that's the answer. Big deal? Cancer's no big deal sure. What a top class parenting attitude. What about when they do something else that'll f*** up their lives? Like quitting school or some other braindead teenage idea? Will they just accept that too? Sure they've been told haven't they?

Yeah, but you gotta choose your battles!! Been parenting for some 30 years cumulatively now and have an adult daughter who doesn't smoke, rarely drinks and conducts herself with decorum, virtually independant of me these days, and one of 16 who is currently smoking now, I don't like it, don't fund it, but.....I'd much rather keep the lines of communication open at this crucial time in her social development than force her into deceiving me about her activities!! If I lose the plot over a crafty fag or a lager shandy.....why would she confide in me about the big stuff. I'm guessing if you have kids, they're young..........report back when you've been through the teenage stage once!!

You remind me of myself when my two were small:p Supermom wasn't in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭batistuta9

token101 wrote: »
    Ah you're right, I see it now. Instead of banning them from smoking around the house, cutting off money, grounding them until they stop and just generally making life as difficult as possible for them, just accept it sure, that's the answer. Big deal? Cancer's no big deal sure. What a top class parenting attitude. What about when they do something else that'll f*** up their lives? Like quitting school or some other braindead teenage idea? Will they just accept that too? Sure they've been told haven't they?

you don't get it do you.

you could do all the things you mention even more, even beat the shít out of them if that's what you want to do but it'll still not going to stop them smoking if they really want to

and since your such an expert in parenting, how could you over look the fact that a lot of time the more strictly you try to enforce something on a child the more they'll rebel & do it anyway, maybe even worse things just to spite you

i'm not saying cancer isn't a big deal but not everyone who smoke will get cancer & not everyone who smokes will smoke for years either.

i'm saying if the worst thing they do growing up is smoke, then big deal.
    if you think the worst a teenager can do is smoke then you can't see the wood for the trees

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

No one should be allowed to smoke.. anything.. ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

ur mentor wrote: »
    No one should be allowed to smoke.. anything.. ever...

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/526748_363323203712837_132141133497713_1116970_1767396292_n.jpg

Nobody should be allowed drink coke ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

MY sister in-laws son started smoking at 12, she did everything she could to stop it, didnt work he still smoked, he would never light up in the house but as soon as he was out he would light up. She gave up when he awas 16 but he never smoked in the house but would leave his ciggies around the house. He is now in his 20's and still smokes he has a top degree at trinity college and is finishing his masters in University of London, and has been accepted to do a PHD there too, starting later this year.

So what if he smokes he didnt turn out too bad now did he!
    Why would smoking affect anyone's ability to get a degree or do a masters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Don't think many parents would allow a 14 year old smoke in front of them but if they smoke themselves it's hard to say you shouldn't smoke to your kid.

I started smoking around 14 but not in front of my parents. I was - and still am - the only one who smokes in the family. They didn't catch me smoking until I was 16 - and then you could buy smokes at 16. They weren't happy but probably knew they couldn't do much about it. They stopped giving me pocket money when they found out but I started a part time job round then so it wasn't a big deal. I never smoked around them until I was 18 while I was still at home before going to college.

When I'm home now I still don't really smoke in front of them - go outside to have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

What I would like if cigarettes were treated the same way as alcohol with regards to minors.

Both are illegal for an under 18 year old to buy. Guards will stop someone under 18 drinking but not someone smoking.

I have a 12 year old sister who's smoking with over a year and my mothers attitude is "You can't stop her. If she wants to do it she will".

She is a smoke since 11 she doesn't care about health risks ( I can hear her coughing till all hours ) just about looking cool. I'm 20 , I tried cigarettes and they tasted horrible so I stopped.

But people don't seem to care about how it affects the young people and it's bad parenting if a parent willingly buys or allows the child to smoke.

Advertisement