Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

William Street 20 illuminated cones what a waste

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

It's to enhance the way city's streets look which is part of a larger project.In my opinion they look fantastic.

Stop being so negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

There's more to government spending than just social welfare and health etc and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

I think there lovely and they really brighten up the street and when the roadworks are over with the street will be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Quote from CrazyChick18:
    I think there lovely and they really brighten up the street and when the roadworks are over with the street will be nice.

Agreed. They give Wm. Street a nice sort of cosmopolitan smart look.
    Well worth spending some money on anything that visually enhances the city centre IMHO.

John.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

A classic style street light or something like that maybe,they look tacky and the graphics are poor
    OFten seen as negative here im not im a realist and imo think they are a waste

• Advertisement

Why do all our newly done streets have to have so many bloody signs,bollards,barriers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

They're a fantastic addition, but I must agree that the current graphic is pathetic.

Plenty of scope for public art in the form of local history, environmental art or festival art.

More of these, not less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mrsfraw

bigpink wrote: »
    Why do all our newly done streets have to have so many bloody signs,bollards,barriers
    I have to agree. I drove up William Street/ upper William street the other night and said the same thing to my husband. It would have been better to update the ancient electricity poles which really take the look off the street first before adding in yet more poles into the equation. The sheer amount of cabling, poles and road sign poles etc is all of it really necessary as is? It looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I dont like them at all. I think they look cheap and tacky.

The first thing I thought was that
    they just looked like something where before long places will pay
    to advertise and you would walk up the street and just see Advertisements on poles.

I'd of liked to have seen something non-modern looking.
    1237540486Ht3LIwN.jpg

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

http://www.limerick.ie/living/whatsnew/williamstreetwelcomesnewilluminatedfeatures/name,46570,en.html

Id love to see the cost of these,what a waste.Im shur the comtract was for someones relative or somrthing and to keep the "graphics" updated

It was reported that these were bought in the UK.
    So, even though we are in the throes of a massive recession Limerick city council couldn't buy local (or at least from an Irish supplier).

source; limerick Post 7th Jan, page 6.

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    It was reported that these were bought in the UK.
    So, even though we are in the throes of a massive recession Limerick city council couldn't buy local (or at least from an Irish supplier).

source; limerick Post 7th Jan, page 6.

:eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

3 tenders from Limerick Company's were submitted for the Cones
    and it still went to a British Company :mad:
    Fer fup sake.

~B

I buy where I get the best deal. I expect the city council to do the same as theyre spending my money and yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I think they look fab and definitely could use more of these

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

painting over cracks!
    Take a good look at the actual shop fronts and buildings beyond the street paving!

ninty9er wrote: »
    I buy where I get the best deal. I expect the city council to do the same as theyre spending my money and yours.

Without knowing the figures for the Tenders ( there might well have been only €50 between the lowest Limerick tender and the UK one), the City Council may well have cut off their nose to spite their face here.
    The money paid out in this instance went straight to the UK, whereas a local firm would be paying Rates, local taxes, etc.

Apart from all that, the bloody street still isn't even finished.....it still needs at least one more layer of Tarmac, and they are still digging up the side streets (High St. and Wickham St.) making access and departure from William St. awkward as well as causing traffic build ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Without knowing the figures for the Tenders ( there might well have been only €50 between the lowest Limerick tender and the UK one), the City Council may well have cut off their nose to spite their face here.
    The money paid out in this instance went straight to the UK, whereas a local firm would be paying Rates, local taxes, etc.

Apart from all that, the bloody street still isn't even finished.....it still needs at least one more layer of Tarmac, and they are still digging up the side streets (High St. and Wickham St.) making access and departure from William St. awkward as well as causing traffic build ups.

The idea was that they'd down tools in the lead up to Christmas and left it in it's current state so that there was not work going on during Christmas, basically. I'd imagine they'll resume work this week or whatever.

High street badly needs to be done too. About time.

It was originally reported that the work would be finished by October....then when October came and went it was reported that the work would be finished by Christmas.
    Luckily for them they didn't say which Christmas they were thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

bullets wrote: »
    3 tenders from Limerick Company's were submitted for the Cones
    and it still went to a British Company :mad:
    Fer fup sake.

~B

maybe the british company was owned by an Irishman!... also someone very close to the head of the county council in Limerick??? you know how it works, corruption everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Have to agree with Bullets I'd far prefer to see classic old style lamp posts here. The cones do brighten up the street but I think something less commercial looking should have been installed. Why are they on Sarsfield Street too though ? I thought Wm Street only commenced after the traffic lights.

• Advertisement

Different state agencies have different tender procedures. They don't all base it on cost alone.

Irish companies moan about all the forms and no guarantee of getting the contract, yet fail to see that this is exactly the same position as overseas companies. Plenty of opportunities all over Europe for Irish companies, but I suppose they couldn't be bothered putting in the effort. Typical attitude. Sure they're local, give it to em, who cares what it costs.

We don't live in a city where money grows on trees, even if a local company got the contract, there's no guarantee they'd employ local people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

A classic style street light or something like that maybe,they look tacky and the graphics are poor
    OFten seen as negative here im not im a realist and imo think they are a waste

I for one think they look great.

And bigpink, I'd have said you're completely negative here until I saw your Opera centre thread there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

painting over cracks!
    Take a good look at the actual shop fronts and buildings beyond the street paving!

I see your point, however the "Broken Window Theory" shows that if the council clean up and enhance an area, business`and residents will follow. It also works conversely.

http://www.economist.com/node/12630201?story_id=12630201

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ninty9er wrote: »

€40,000 for a basic WordPress website ? Commissioning Barak Obama's crowd for no other reason than - and I quote a party member of yours - "we could do with a bit of Obama" ? (Even though to my knowledge he didn't come with the site)

You obviously don't have the same mindset as your party! Why are you still a member ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    €40,000 for a basic WordPress website ? Commissioning Barak Obama's crowd for no other reason than - and I quote a party member of yours - "we could do with a bit of Obama" ? (Even though to my knowledge he didn't come with the site)

You obviously don't have the same mindset as your party! Why are you still a member ?

Ever thought that HE was the one that didn't have the same mindset as the party, or that these decisions are taken by civil servants:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The only thing I have noticed on the new look William St. is the disgusting amount of chewing gum covering the new footpaths and the red sections of the road. Unbelievable amount of it and anyone that spits chewing gum on the street is a knuckle dragging imbecile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

RonMexico wrote: »
    The only thing I have noticed on the new look William St. is the disgusting amount of chewing gum covering the new footpaths and the red sections of the road. Unbelievable amount of it and anyone that spits chewing gum on the street is a knuckle dragging imbecile.

Surely you've seen the type that walks up and down that street? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

AFAIK it's illegal under EU law to favor an Irish company over a foreign one. If the Irish company can't compete that's their problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

SugarHigh wrote: »

AFAIK it's illegal under EU law to favor an Irish company over a foreign one. If the Irish company can't compete that's their problem.

If an Irish company can't compete it's probably due to ridiculous rent policies and a completely f**ked-up economy where the aim seems to be to make it as awkward as possible for SMEs to become MLEs.......let's all fawn over the fickle multinationals and UK chains instead, and then panic when they threaten to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

The cones look awful and they are not going to stand up to the test of time at all. They remind me of the cone wrappers you get chips in in England.

Really - they ruined the castle and now they've ruined a newly refurbished main street. Who the hell makes the creative decisions in Limerick?? They really don't know how to enhance an area and they really, really have no clue how to choose a design that will age well.

Advertisement