Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paypal - Limerick or Dundalk

• 23-11-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭

I think this warrants its own thread!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2011/1123/1224307994912.html
    PayPal to create 1,000 jobs in Dundalk or Limerick

GLOBAL ONLINE payments giant PayPal is the firm behind the plan to create around 1,000 jobs in either Dundalk or Limerick.

The company is assessing available office buildings in both centres before deciding where to locate the new enterprise.

PayPal has ruled out the former Quinn Direct office block in Navan because of the absence of a large skilled workforce in the town and its proximity to Blanchardstown where the company and its parent eBay already employ around 1,600 people.

PayPal is the global leader in online payment solutions. It was founded in 1998 and has 123 million customers in 103 markets worldwide.

Its Blanchardstown office, which serves as the European headquarters, will not be affected by the opening of a further office in either Dundalk or Limerick. The company has several options for buildings in both centres. The final decision is expected to be determined by the availability of a skilled workforce to roll out the new operation.

The buildings being considered in Limerick include the former Dell plant at Raheen which once housed 1,900 workers.

Politicians from all parties are continuing to canvass for the PayPal call centre to be located in their constituencies. Though Limerick has been designated a priority region for investment, the IDA has only managed to secure 300 new jobs for the area over the past year.

Meanwhile, Hewlett-Packard is shortly to decide whether to locate a new office block of 9,290sq m (100,000sq ft) on part of its site at Ballybrit in Galway or on the opposite side of the racecourse in the IDA park at Parkmore where two other software companies, SAP and Fidelity, are also based.

HP plans to lease the building from one of a number of developers pitching to design and build it. The American company has designated its Galway software centre as a global centre of competency for cloud computing. Its property adviser is Paddy Conlon of CBRE

If Noonan gets this for Limerick he will always be loved in this city.

Come on limerick!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

****...please be limerick please be limerick please be limerick...

and i already have a job....i just want my city back to life again...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

****...please be limerick please be limerick please be limerick...

and i already have a job....i just want my city back to life again...

I hope it's limerick too, something like this is badly need for the area

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Limerick + midwest region could fill these jobs in a week, pay pal could be up and running before christmas.
    Everyone who comes to limerick says what a friendly place it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Let it be Limerick - job would only be across the road - no petrol costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

5 minutes from me. Would the fact i have an account help me in the interview in any way? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Hopefully Michael Noonan can exert a bit of influence for his home city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

Limerick really really needs this.

Would be unreal for the county and city.

Come on Noonan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Come on Noonan! Get it down here for once! If you don't I sware I will.. Show you my half naked body ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Love Paypal have used it right since the beginning great service and would love it to come to Limerick...heres hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Why not send the Limerick TDs for Fine Gael/Labour an email and let them know what they have to do!

Michael Noonan
    minister@finance.gov.ie

Jan O'Sullivan
    jan.osullivan@oireachtas.ie

Kieran O'Donnell
    kieran.odonnell@oireachtas.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Paypal = multilingual call centre = hot foreign women.......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Come on Noonan! Get it down here for once! If you don't I sware I will.. Show you my half naked body ;)

Make sure you buy and use a weight bench and some weights before you carry out that threat.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

all I want for Christmas is ................ P A Y P A L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Willie O Dea would still go down as the city's greatest ever politician tho. Why?

He got my neighbour a new toilet seat, and got a leak in tom's shed fixed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

in limerick - you could be stabbed

in dundalk - you could be knee-capped

decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

philstar wrote: »
    in limerick - you could be stabbed

in dundalk - you could be knee-capped

decisions decisions

:rolleyes:
    Why bother post crap like that?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you have a problem with a post, report it, don't quote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Clareman wrote: »
    If you have a problem with a post, report it, don't quote it.

Fair enough. Stuff like that just gets a bit old.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Fingers crossed, desperately what Limerick needs to boost the local economy. The place has been stuck in a depression since the Dell shut down. Come on Noonan, we need this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed, desperately what Limerick needs to boost the local economy. The place has been stuck in a depression since the Dell shut down. Come on Noonan, we need this!

Correct, the spend from these employees would benefit pubs/shops/restaurants, and further down the road cars/housing/schools etc. This is what Limerick has lacked for the last 15 years, and we have to listen to FF politicians blaming the regions woes on the crescent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

no support for dundalk then? limerick probably will get it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Scram wrote: »
    no support for dundalk then? limerick probably will get it

Well I'm sure that if this wasn't in the Limerick section of boards you would get some support for Dundalk. However I think Limerick needs this more than anywhere else in Ireland, the city Is so quiet now and seems to have nothing going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

with ul, lit, the roads, the airport it must have a great chance!!

Next year paypal sponsoring munster

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

betonit wrote: »
    with ul, lit, the roads, the airport it must have a great chance!!

Next year paypal sponsoring munster

Dundalk has the advantage of being much closer to their head office/centre of excellence which is based in Blanchardstown where they already have over 1,000 staff. Plus it is not that far from Dublin airport and has motorways by it.

I don't see UL or LIT as any kind of draw to Paypal to be honest, no more than the likes of Trinity, UCD etc could be argued as advantages for any site nearish to Dublin.

I am just hoping that there is some political pressure applied or some financial incentives offered to the company to get them to Limerick. Big challenge for the likes of Michael Noonan to try and sway his colleagues in government to help Limerick. Pressure needs to be applied to the IDA etc to get something substantial like Paypal to take up in Limerick.

Although no doubt if they come we will see Willie O'Dea and Jimmy "I knew all along about it but could not say" Long come out and try to claim some kind of involvement.

I am pretty sure that Long was hinting at that when he made his usual "I know something but cannot say" comment at the turning on of the lights last night.

He came out with a similar comment after the Opera Centre was turned over to the city council/regen programme, and said something very similar a few weeks before that again when there were various claims of high level developers "just about" to buy the Opera centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ashgal

I live in Limerick (have done so for 11 years), but I'm from Dundalk....hmmm where do my allegions lie??? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

+1 for Dundalk - they've suffered a fair bit of job losses in the recent past with Xerox and Littelfuse among others having closed. Plus like some of the posters say, they're nearer to Dublin, the airport etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

According to last week's Leader, a high profile meeting is to take place later today! Let's hope it goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Passed EMF3 today and there are a few heads walking around. Chimneys are puffing out a little bit of smoke too. Haven't seen that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

+1 for Dundalk - they've suffered a fair bit of job losses in the recent past with Xerox and Littelfuse among others having closed. Plus like some of the posters say, they're nearer to Dublin, the airport etc.

If only limerick was near an airport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

If only limerick was near an airport.

That operated flights to somewhere!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement