Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* Applied Maths * predictions / discussion / aftermath (1 thread only please)

• 17-06-2011 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

. . .the last subject for a lot of people, and argubly the best. . .if the 30% A rate is anything to go by. . .

Anyone got any tips, ect., past exam questions they suspect will come up?. . .I'll tip the partial fractions 1990 Hl Q10 (a) as the model for a hard question. . .came up in a Maths pre, and would be a nice trick to throw into the test. . .

What Grade do you expect in Applied Maths? 26 votes

A1
    0% 0 votes
    A2
    42% 11 votes
    B1
    3% 1 vote
    Lower B
    3% 1 vote
    C
    19% 5 votes
    D
    11% 3 votes
    Fail
    3% 1 vote
    Let's not worry about it and concentrate on preparing for the exam ...
    15% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Kedo93

My teach keeps suggesting that a bouncing question in projectiles might come up this year. Hasn't been up since 2001 I think. Also it's possible that we might get a question with two bodies moving towards eachother in linear motion, can't remember when that last came up but it's been a while :p

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Anyone reckon theres a chance of topic crossovers, like 2002 Q4, where they put SHM in the connected question. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 epicwinning

I read the 2007 Chief Examiner's Report and that heavily implied that people weren't learning Q6, Q8 and Q9 so there may be a bit of that. On the other hand, they might make those 3 easier to reward those who attempt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

Applied Maths is my last exam (obviously!), and I'm honestly not gonna study for it until after Chemistry! I probably should, since it's my worst subject (failed the Christmas and the Pre), but, for me, Chemistry's much more important!!
    Our Pre was shocking though, our teacher couldn't even get some of the answers!
    Out of the 6 in our class, the highest was like 46% (but she's, arguably, a robot though), next was me with 39% (Gutted btw :( Almost passed.. ), then the rest were low 30's, high 20's!
    I was thinking of doing Pass, but I'm probably not gonna count it anyway, so I'll stick with HL!
    Here's hoping it all comes together before Friday!! The aforementioned 'high grade rate' is reassuring!!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I read the 2007 Chief Examiner's Report and that heavily implied that people weren't learning Q6, Q8 and Q9 so there may be a bit of that. On the other hand, they might make those 3 easier to reward those who attempt it.

8 and 9 are arguably the easiest questions on the paper, after 10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 krisityfer

Anyone have any quick tips on deciding where to take your moments about on Q7? Always seem to pick the wrong place, and end up with reams of useless equations. I usually try to either eliminate unnecessary variables (reactions etc) or just eliminate as many as possible, but I always seem to fudge it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 larkin1993

Normally I find its best to take the point with the most forces going through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 krisityfer

Yeah, that's probably the best option, just I always seem to differ from the marking scheme's choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

:O The poll results all have 11 in them...!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

haven't looked at it yet..? hoping two days will be enough? still have physics, accounting, Spanish and chemistry to get through so it's the least of my worries:( screwed for accounting.

and yet, I can't get off facebook or boards? <_<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

luciemc wrote: »
    haven't looked at it yet..? hoping two days will be enough? still have physics, accounting, Spanish and chemistry to get through so it's the least of my worries:( screwed for accounting.

and yet, I can't get off facebook or boards? <_<

Haven't looked at it either!
    But, seriously you've got 5 subjects left, and some people have been done since Tuesday! That must suck :O
    I've only got 3 left, 3 of my worst, but the ones I really need to do well in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

Phareon wrote: »
    Haven't looked at it either!
    But, seriously you've got 5 subjects left, and some people have been done since Tuesday! That must suck :O
    I've only got 3 left, 3 of my worst, but the ones I really need to do well in :P

haha yeh, I don't know anyone with a worse timetable! I'll be counting at least four out of the five i have left:( and I need As in three of them for my course. banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

:O The poll results all have 11 in them...!

Thats because the poll was annulled. . .a moderator must have deemed it inappropriate, or something like that. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mr. Maths

Advice from the chief examiner's mouth people, the best option is not to pick what questions you're gonna do until you're actually in the exam. That way you can avoid any scaldy questions if they come up and just do the easiest ones :) It does take more prep though is the only thing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thats because the poll was annulled. . .a moderator must have deemed it inappropriate, or something like that. . .
    Inappropriate ... depending on how you understand the word, that's probably a bit strong.

Likely just to raise stress levels when people would be far better off just getting a bit of study done, yes.

I'm not a great fan of the constant preoccupation with numbers and comparing them ... I wrote " " pages, I reckon I got an " " in that, I think I have clocked up " " points.

It's understandable of course, but a lot of the time, it just puts yourself (or others) under additional stress ... especially during the actual exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Those are seriously impressive poll results..

GlKKR.png

If only this was my 111th post...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

. .
    Anyone got any tips, ect., past exam questions they suspect will come up?. . .I'll tip the partial fractions 1990 Hl Q10 (a) as the model for a hard question. . .came up in a Maths pre, and would be a nice trick to throw into the test. . .

My ap maths teacher mentioned this q just yday. She said dont worry if we cant do it it was on the maths course back then and its not any more so it cant come up!:)

Anyone reckon theres a chance of topic crossovers, like 2002 Q4, where they put SHM in the connected question. . .

Also not allowed do this any more! Its widley excepted now by the SEC that everyone studies Qs 1-5 so there can be slight mixes with respect to these, eg es in projectiles ect. And teachers chose after that eg we do 7,9,10 not the others! There was uproar in 2002 and they wont be doing it again!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

._. wrote: »
    Those are seriously impressive poll results..

GlKKR.png

If only this was my 111th post...

well actually when i read that post you had 11^2 posts :o weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Also not allowed do this any more! Its widley excepted now by the SEC that everyone studies Qs 1-5 so there can be slight mixes with respect to these, eg es in projectiles ect. And teachers chose after that eg we do 7,9,10 not the others! There was uproar in 2002 and they wont be doing it again!:)

They more than likely will mess with at least 1, if not more, of the base 6 questions that most people cover (1-5, 10). They may mix 1 and 5, they might mix 3 and 5, you cant say what they'll do before the exam =]

• Advertisement

magicianz wrote: »
    well actually when i read that post you had 11^2 posts :o weird...

Mind = Blown

magicianz wrote: »
    They more than likely will mess with at least 1, if not more, of the base 6 questions that most people cover (1-5, 10). They may mix 1 and 5, they might mix 3 and 5, you cant say what they'll do before the exam =]

I never said they wouldnt mess with any just that they cant mess with Qs 1-5 by putting in parts of Qs 6 and up. I said that yes they can mess with 5 and 3 but they won't repeat the 2002 mess up. :)

Back in 90-something they threw SHM in with Hydrostatics
    And in the mock paper I had last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Stretch101

Watch question 2 and 5 as they are the questions that they can twist to make it deliberately difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 deiseguuy93

Question 2 is definitely the easiest one in the paper for me! and as long as they ask your basic derivations without complications i should hopefully be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

krisityfer wrote: »
    Anyone have any quick tips on deciding where to take your moments about on Q7? Always seem to pick the wrong place, and end up with reams of useless equations. I usually try to either eliminate unnecessary variables (reactions etc) or just eliminate as many as possible, but I always seem to fudge it up.

Or if there are strange things, like i remember in a question a plank was sticking out of a wall, you wana try cancel out that reaction cos u don't know squat other than it exists.

If two are leaning against each other, and your taking it as seperate planks, you have your 'x' and 'y' reactions at the top/where they meet (whatever you call them), you generally want to take moments about there as those are 'known unknowns', as our distinguished political class would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 lufc1993

topic crossovers are a sure bet statics are gonna come up in about 3 questions this is info from about 3 seminars ive been at and the institute

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

lufc1993 wrote: »
    topic crossovers are a sure bet statics are gonna come up in about 3 questions this is info from about 3 seminars ive been at and the institute
    Yeeess
    Statics is one of my best questions. (As long as you don't mean hydro statics..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ALPALP

lufc1993 wrote: »
    Yea i heard that aswell - im just looking to get d1-c3 so think im just gonna study statics and hlm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 deiseguuy93

krisityfer wrote: »
    do your force diagrams first and then pick a point where you can have easy horizontal distances! that or go for the part that seems to have the most going on. Or go for the far left/right

Advertisement