Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This is the session I had been dreading for weeks, especially after missing last weeks build up session (2 x 1 mile + 1 x 1k) due to tight hamstrings, meaning I had only ran 1 mile at 5 k pace (the rest being 1k's and lower). Met up with Woddle and we jogged up to Marlay where we met Sharktale and Claralara. After measuring an approximate 1 mile loop I went off and did the first mile with Claralara to show her the route (the others were doing 4 x 1 mile @ 10k pace). After that i got into my 5k pace miles. The first felt fine, the only problem was there were loads of families out doing a sponsored walk so flat out miles were a bit dangerous... lot's of dodging and weaving and jumping onto the grass. The second went fine too if a little Harder and the third was really tough, though I got caught up in deep congestion. For some reason the Garmin didn't bleep on the third lap until at least 20 metres further than the other two (I had autolap to 1 mile) so I'm blaming the slower time on Garmin Fail.

Anyway laps went (Time-(Av HR, Max HR) ): 6:03(173, 183), 6:04 (172, 183), 6:08 (170, 184).
    Rests were 4 minutes between Miles.
    Pretty happy overall, consistent enough HR's which shows consistent enough effort. Hopefully with a bit of taper next week and a downhill course I'll be to put these 3 miles together in Donore.

Total for the day: 8.5 miles.

WTD 4 runs 24.5 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|17/19|145.3
    Total|109/133|1036.9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Nice running there big man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

There's a sub 19 for Donore methinks. I'll be hard put to follow you around the course if you keep this up.

chinguetti wrote: »
    There's a sub 19 for Donore methinks. I'll be hard put to follow you around the course if you keep this up.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Will you stop with your bullsh*t. We're all onto you now you know. :D

• Advertisement

I'm serious. At those times, you're looking at hitting 18 mins or so in a race situation on that type of course if the weather is decent.

I was all out in Leixlip for my time and more interested in the Cork Half than Donore as i've done my sub 19 after 18 months of trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

18:xx looks likely alright, you could add 13 or 14 seconds to each of those 3 miles, string them together and still come in sub 19:00.

outforarun wrote: »
    18:xx looks likely alright, you could add 13 or 14 seconds to each of those 3 miles, string them together and still come in sub 19:00.

Unfortunately not. 6.07/mile is the average pace required for a sub 19 min 5k (assuming the course is bang on). 5k is 3.11 miles, not 3 miles.
    I really need to be looking at holding close to 6 min pace, given racing line variations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Sub 18, this is getting out of hand. Foot bite of more than yet can chew:-)

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Sub 18, this is getting out of hand. Foot bite of more than yet can chew:-)

Who mentioned sub 18? that kind of target would have to wait more than a year. I'd be more than delighted with 18:59

Recovery
    Going out tonight so got a sneaky 5k in while the dinner was in the oven.

3.1 miles @8.55 pace.

Feel a cold coming on :mad:

WTD 5 runs 27.6 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|18/20|148.4
    Total|110/134|1040

• Advertisement

No real cold in the end, I just took an anti histamine last night and felt much better. It must be just the pollen in the air.
    Got out for another quick/easy run after work this afternoon.
    4.2 miles @ 8:30 pace. Really hope the wind is not like this tomorrow. Looking forward to tomorrow's pacing now. It'll be nice to get out of my 9 min/mile comfort zone for these pacing gigs for the first time.

WTD 6 runs 31.8 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|19/21|152.6
    Total|111/135|1044.2

13.1 miles in 1'44'31 (7'58 pace).
    I paced this Half Marathon with Oisin 11178 this morning. I have to say I really enjoyed it. I thought it would be much tougher especially given last nights bottle of wine, but it was actually a breeze. Great Craic all the way around the course and for once I actually proved a useful pacer as we had a nice group with us all the way around. I even dropped back with about half a mile to go to enourage two ladies who had dropped back from the pack to a sprint finish.

I am feeling like I must be in pretty decent shape at the moment...

Weklt total: 7 runs 44.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|20/22|165.7
    Total|112/136|1057.3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

menoscemo wrote: »
    Unfortunately not. 6.07/mile is the average pace required for a sub 19 min 5k (assuming the course is bang on). 5k is 3.11 miles, not 3 miles.
    I really need to be looking at holding close to 6 min pace, given racing line variations.

Oops. 6:07 looks a whole lot more difficult. Big difference 0.11 of a mile.

This is the first run of the mini taper week for the 5k race on saturday. It will also be the only speed session.

I learned a lesson from the 10x 200's I did a fortnight ago when I did them all too fast (31-34 range) and ended up with tight hamstrings all week as a result. Tonight i decided to take them at the prescribed pace (37.5sec/rep), and even ended up taking the first few too carefully. After doing 5 easy I decided to give the last one a proper lash:

28 (27.98)

Recovery was 200m jog between reps (just for Brian :pac:). Afterwards I ran a few laps with digger and clara lara at her 400 pace since my session was finished so quick. Then we all did a nice extended cool down

Total: 6.4 miles

WTD 1 run 6.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|21/24|172.1
    Total|113/138|1063.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Finally entered Donore... Have you recieved confirmation of your spot in the Masters yet?! ;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

claralara wrote: »
    Have you recieved confirmation of your spot in the Masters yet?! ;)

Old grey Menopause, he ain't what he used to be :pac:

Old grey Menopause, he ain't what he used to be :pac:

Must be true, he's stopped wanting to go to Ryan's after races. Tis a sad, sad day for humanity (wipes tear from eye)

claralara wrote: »
    Finally entered Donore... Have you recieved confirmation of your spot in the Masters yet?! ;)

Not Funny :D

I gave it to Digger but they came back to tell me he is too old for the masters :pac:

Must be true, he's stopped wanting to go to Ryan's after races. Tis a sad, sad day for humanity (wipes tear from eye)

Listen lads, if there's the demand you can still go to Ryans after like. i can come in for about 2-2.30pm. Why doesn't someone else bother their arse organising things for a change...:rolleyes:

Listen lads, if there's the demand you can still go to Ryans after like. i can come in for about 2-2.30pm. Why doesn't someone else bother their arse organising things for a change...:rolleyes:

Oooh! Toys, pram etc etc? :confused:

The standing arrangement was Ryan's sir, you're just F'n with it, that is all!:D

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    Oooh! Toys, pram etc etc? :confused:

The standing arrangement was Ryan's sir, you're just F'n with it, that is all!:D

If everyone wants to go to Ryans then go for it....I just want to be in town for the match later as my friends are doing the same (RK and digger say that suits them better too) why don't those who want to go to Ryans after the race do so? You soft lads light drinkers will probably head on home long before the football anyway so we can head on into town after. As I said, if you are going to ryans I can probably get home and showered and back in for 2-2.30pm.

If everyone wants to go to Ryans then go for it....I just want to be in town for the match later as my friends are doing the same (RK and digger say that suits them better too) why don't those who want to go to Ryans after the race do so? You soft lads light drinkers will probably head on home long before the football anyway so we can head on into town after. As I said, if you are going to ryans I can probably get home and showered and back in for 2-2.30pm.

Everybody thank Meno now for his benevolence! :P

Everybody thank Meno now for his benevolence! :P

Yes, I think of myself as a benevolent dictator :pac:

Seriously though, I am sure Brian will be up for a few in Ryans after the race. I would have no objections to going to Ryans, but I am planning on making a night of it so i don't want to be stinking and carryin my gear around with me all night...I could get a shower and a change in the Donore Clubhouse i suppose, but would some kind person offer to hang onto my gear bag for the night? If that person were doing a run in the park the next day, they could give it back to me then...Hmmmm

5.5 miles @ 9.02 pace. Heart rate nice and low (134) but the legs felt quite tired and a bit sore. There'll be just easy runs the rest of the week before Donore. I'll probably just jog around Maraly tomorrow while the b0ys are doing mile reps.

WTD 2 runs 11.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|22/25|177.6
    Total|114/139|1069.2

I gave it to Digger but they came back to tell me he is too old for the masters :pac:

That's uncalled for Meno, show a bit of respect for the man who refused a bus pass in favour of his bicycle.

Yes, I think of myself as a benevolent dick

FYP;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That's uncalled for Meno, show a bit of respect for the man who refused a bus pass in favour of his bicycle.

Well, you can't take the saddle off a bus seat and have fun....:eek:

10.6 miles @ 8:46 av. Went down with Woddle shark tale and the boys to Marlay. They were doing 6x 1 mile reps, but Gerard65 and I went off for a few easy miles. I then ended up roping myself into one of Woddles reps. We were doing 7:15 pace which felt fine, but I found myself about 25 seconds behind the group in front so went off chasing them for the last .4 mile and ended up doing 5:40 pace for the rest of the mile to catch them. Felt the legs really tight after that so just did the rest of the miles easy. I really need to learn some discipline- the legs feel very stiff and heavy now. Hopefully the wind has died down by saturday.

WTD 3 runs 22.5 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|23/26|188.2
    Total|115/140|1079.8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

10.6 miles @ 8:46 av. Went down with Woddle shark tale and the boys to Marlay. They were doing 6x 1 mile reps, but Gerard65 and I went off for a few easy miles. I then ended up roping myself into one of Woddles reps. We were doing 7:15 pace which felt fine, but I found myself about 25 seconds behind the group in front so went off chasing them for the last .4 mile and ended up doing 5:40 pace for the rest of the mile to catch them. Felt the legs really tight after that so just did the rest of the miles easy. I really need to learn some discipline- the legs feel very stiff and heavy now. Hopefully the wind has died down by saturday.

Lunatic. :rolleyes: I can smell a 19:16 rising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Davis Big Limo

Meno i would have thought doing that many miles on Thursday 2 days before your 5k to be counter productive, no:confused: Best of luck the weekend and have a good craic at it, i can see a low 19:xx and maybe a bit more if the conditions turn right for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement