Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'll let you know the next time I stay off the drink for a day :p

Will that be a calendar day or any 24 hour period in a row;)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I wasn't able for speed work on Tuesday so this was always going to my only speed session of the week. met up with Woddle at his house and jogged up to Marlay Park to the 1k loop by the house.
    The plan was 5 x 1k loops @ goal 5k pace with 2-3 minutes rest. Goal pace is 3:48 per lap.

The splits were:
    3:38
    3:42 (171 av, 182 max)
    3:43 (171 av, 180 max)
    3:45 (171 av, 182 max)

Really pleased with this. Despite the usual desires to quit after 3, it was actually more comfortable, faster and a lower HR than the 6 x 800's last week. I can already see the benefits of a few speed sessions.

Total for the day: 6.4 miles

WTD: 4 Runs 41.6 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|21/28|145.5
    Total|96/118|886.9
    I must have arrived about 5 minutes after you finished but my session was a lot less impressive. I know I would not have been able to match that last night.
    Looks like the speed sessions are working well for you.
    Are you going to try and take out a 10k PB before you switch over to a marathon program?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Tonight the splits (max HR) were: 79 (170), 83 (176), 82 (180), 81 (179), 81 (179), 82 (178), 80 (179).
    Not only were the intervals much faster, the Max HR is quite a bit lower. I had to hold myself back on the first two as I was going close to 5 min/mile pace for the first 250m. All the Av paces are faster than 5:30. The last rep has actually the fastest/mile pace (5:16) despite being a bit slower than the first- I had to run a bit wider to pass a few people.

That's nice running there chief, you made it sound easy so I'm concerned you're not pushing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Well I managed to keep up with him for the first three before I got bloody hit by a brik wall in the fourth... lost a good 2/3 seconds and the rest I would reckon after that.....

Twas a good session though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

mithril wrote: »
    I
    Are you going to try and take out a 10k PB before you switch over to a marathon program?

Yes, I am going to take your advice and concentrate on the Dunshaughlin 10k (end of June) after the Donore 5k (end of May). That will leave me 13 weeks to Berlin so I'll be looking at the 12 week P&D programme.

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    That's nice running there chief, you made it sound easy so I'm concerned you're not pushing yourself.

I am supposed to do these reps at 1 mile pace, I am basing that on waht mcmillan gives as equivalent 1 mile pace (5:30) for my 5k goal time (18:59).

They were tough enough. As RK what I looked like after the last rep ;)

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Well I managed to keep up with him for the first three before I got bloody hit by a brik wall in the fourth... lost a good 2/3 seconds and the rest I would reckon after that.....

Twas a good session though!

You've proved you are very speedy. As I suspected from the speeed of your easy runs, the goals you have on your log are way below your standard.

5.1 miles@ 9 min/miles. Av HR for these runs has come way down in the last few weeks. Tonight it was a year low 134.

WTD: 3 runs 12.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|4/4|38.7
    Total|101/124|930.3

I am supposed to do these reps at 1 mile pace, I am basing that on waht mcmillan gives as equivalent 1 mile pace (5:30) for my 5k goal time (18:59).

They were tough enough. Ask RK what I looked like after the last rep ;)

18:59? Has the ultra and all the long runs not upset your speed?

mrslow wrote: »
    18:59? Has the ultra and all the long runs not upset your speed?

We'll see. I know it's a lofty goal but I'll give it a lash trying. I may as well put it down here too, I am targetting sub 40 in the Dunshaughlin 10k :eek:

• Advertisement

We'll see. I know it's a lofty goal but I'll give it a lash trying. I may as well put it down here too, I am targetting sub 40 in the Dunshaughlin 10k :eek:

You should be well able for sub 40, I reckon sub 44 is within my grasp but with Cork a few weeks before I don't think I'll be back to full strength.

Met up with Woddle again tonight and jogged up to Marlay Park where we met Sharktale and later Mithril The plan was 1 Mile at 5k pace (6:07) followed by 3 x 1k at the same pace (3:48/km.)

Last week I did 5 x1k with the below Results.
    3:38
    3:42 (171 av, 182 max)
    3:43 (171 av, 180 max)

Tonight I Ran:
    Mile: 6:04 (171 av, 180 max) followed by 1ks at:
    3:44 (169 av, 178 max)
    3:46 (171 av, 180 max)
    3:45 (171 av, 180 max).

Really happy tonight as I felt much stronger than last week, generally running through the line rather than stopping dead on it as I was doing last week. The Max HR's are also a bit lower which shows that there is possibly more in the tank.

Next week this session will be 2 x 1 mile followed by one or two 1k reps.

Total for the day:

7 miles

WTD: 4 runs 19.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|5/5|45.7
    Total|102/125|937.3

7.5 miles in Tymon with Aimman this evening. Pace 8:34, Av HR: 139. HR has really dropped recently. This is actually in the recovery zone :eek: I have never ran so fast and far in the recovery HR zone, which shows I am definately coming on leaps and bounds. Starting to feel a bit more confident about my goals for the year in general. The trick for the rest of the year will be to get the perfect combination of long miles and Speedwork, as the speedwork seems to be really brining me on recently.

WTD: 5 runs 26.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|6/6|53.2
    Total|103/126|944.8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

How is the bet for conn going?
    Is it still me you fran and brian or did brian back out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Brian wants a get out clause

.. chicken

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There was no point ever including Brian in it. He barely has the balls to finish a marathon, never mind an ultra.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    How is the bet for conn going?
    Is it still me you fran and brian or did brian back out?

Brain looks to be backing out, but is leaving a bit of extra money for me and Fran to fight over.

You were never in th bet Frank ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Brain looks to be backing out, but is leaving a bit of extra money for me and Fran to fight over.

You were never in th bet Frank ;)

Frank bought Brian's share of the bet :D. It was a takeover bid.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Aimman wrote: »

**** just got real. :pac:

Aimman wrote: »

Yes, why yes I did :d

• Advertisement

Yeah, but the other two bettor have to agree to the bet.
    Brain was easy money.
    Frank is not.

Oisin, you're not in :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Davis Big Limo

Feck off you hustler, lashing out 20 milers for the craic.

You bit off more than you can chew involving fran in this bet niall:D
    Once he does the long runs i think your in trouble:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd read about it and I'd seen the pictures on the mars refuel website, but I never believed it to be true, until now.

Mars in a sports bottle! Heaven. They also had the one litre cartons. :D Next time you're up North, bring an empty car...

IMG_0269.jpg

Nice positioning besides the Grapes and apple ;)

What's the idea behind the sports cap? Is it so you can take it while on the run?

Met up with Shels, Mr Slow, Raycun and a sober (for once) Claralara at 9 am this morning. The plans were varied but in generally everyone was doing a 9:30 pace for at least 10. Mr Slow was thinking 17, but I reminded hm digger did 20 yesterday and the seed was planted. Nice easy run at first, we picked up Chinguetti (fresh from running 18:28 in leixlip yesterday) and vaggabond and Ray trotted off home. We decided to be cruel and take the group up Knockmaroon hill but everyone seemed to take it grand despite the protests before, so after 10, I decided to push clarlalara to an 8 minute mile (for her last one) as practise for her 50 min 10k goal. she struggled at first into the wind but managed a sprint finish to make goal time.

Myself, Chinguetti, mr slow vaggabond and shels then headed out for a last loop, shels left us at 14. We were already at 17 miles as we approached the bottom of the Kyber hill and since the seed had been planted mrslow decided he would be doing 20 so the two of us left Chinguetti and vaggabond and took the long route back to the cars. I got back at 19.5 miles and decided to call it a day, leaving mrslow to frantically do laps of the car park to make up the last 0.5miles :pac:. The post run cokes and ice creams went down a treat :D

Summary:
    19.5 miles @9'08 av pace. (HR 143).

weekly total: 6 runs 46.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|7/8|72.7
    Total|104/128|964.3

Met up with Shels, Mr Slow, Raycun and a sober (for once) Claralara at 9 am this morning. The plans were varied but in generally everyone was doing a 9:30 pace for at least 10. Mr Slow was thinking 17, but I reminded hm digger did 20 yesterday and the seed was planted. Nice easy run at first, we picked up Chinguetti (fresh from running 18:28 in leixlip yesterday) and vaggabond and Ray trotted off home. We decided to be cruel and take the group up Knockmaroon hill but everyone seemed to take it grand despite the protests before, so after 10, I decided to push clarlalara to an 8 minute mile (for her last one) as practise for her 50 min 10k goal. she struggled at first into the wind but managed a sprint finish to make goal time.

Myself, Chinguetti, mr slow vaggabond and shels then headed out for a last loop, shels left us at 14. We were already at 17 miles as we approached the bottom of the Kyber hill and since the seed had been planted mrslow decided he would be doing 20 so the two of us left Chinguetti and vaggabond and took the long route back to the cars. I got back at 19.5 miles and decided to call it a day, leaving mrslow to frantically do laps of the car park to make up the last 0.5miles :pac:. The post run cokes and ice creams went down a treat :D

Summary:
    19.5 miles @9'08 av pace. (HR 143).

weekly total: 6 runs 46.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|7/8|72.7
    Total|104/128|964.3
    18.28 very nice

18.28 very nice

Yes indeed. Maybe you should try one of these short races sometime, you might surprise yourself ;).

I keep telling chinguetti to get his own log so he can report his own feats, but alas we have to do that for him.

Forgot to mention, I wore the Saucony Kinvaras for the whole run today. I had the lunarglides in the car to switch over if necessary but the need did not arise. Really happy with them. They might become my new shoe of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I keep telling chinguetti to get his own log so he can report his own feats, but alas we have to do that for him.

Why should i have a training log? According to you i don't train enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

When are you going to test your legs with the short stuff yourself? You seem to be enjoying the training, if enjoy is the right word for intervals and the likes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement