Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Priest snatches baby and puts up for adoption

• 06-04-2012 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Reading this story brought a tear to my eye. Shocking how much power the church had back in the day. I hope the people involved sue the asses off the church.

http://www.braypeople.ie/news/priest-snatched-my-baby-but-i-never-stopped-searching-3065210.html

[/QUOTE]A DAUGHTER and her father have been reunited 38 years after she was forcibly removed by the church from his home in Dublin.

Christy Cox and his daughter Wendy (Suzanne) Parle were torn apart from one another when Wendy was just three months old.

The pair spent decades trying to track one another down only to find out that they lived a mere 45-minute drive away from one another across the Wicklow Gap, with Wendy residing in Rathdrum and Christy in Dunlavin.

Wendy was placed up for adoption as a baby, without Christy's permission, after a priest called around to his family home in Crumlin and demanded the child be handed over.

Now the father and daughter have 38 years of catching up to do.
    [/QUOTE]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Nothing new here, they have been doing its for decades in Australia.

See here: http://annfreespirit.over-blog.com/categorie-12149837.html
    Sydney - Information is now emerging regarding the forceable removal of new born chldren from their mothers by Catholic hospitals in the 1950s, 60s and 70s. The Catholic Health Service has issued an apology...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

After 38 years it's got to be strange. Ireland's not that big so I'm surprised ot took that long if they were actually looking for each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭LorraineMcFly

smash wrote: »
    After 38 years it's got to be strange. Ireland's not that big so I'm surprised ot took that long if they were actually looking for each other.
    You should look over in the adoption forum and see how many people are faced with blank walls when trying to locate people. Searching for years. If no records exist, names change or birthcerts are tampered with its nigh on impossible. I myself never knew my father. He is not on my birth cert. I have no details except his surname, and first name i know but unsure of spelling, so I will never find him. Dont know any details about where he lived his age etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

lovely story, but I have a feeling this is gona turn into one of those incest relationships where they fall in loe and have theyre own kids after meeting for the first time in adult life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

When my mother was pregnant out of wedlock the local priest told her to put the baby up for adoption too. Luckily she didn't listen and I have a great older sister.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    lovely story, but I have a feeling this is gona turn into one of those incest relationships where they fall in loe and have theyre own kids after meeting for the first time in adult life.
    If thats really the first thing you thought of you have some serious issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

My Grandmother was TOLD to have kids, populate the country and then had to be "churched" back into the Church after child birth.....

Why I oughta !

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    When my mother was pregnant out of wedlock the local priest told her to put the baby up for adoption too. Luckily she didn't listen and I have a great older sister.
    Mine too. My mom was pregnant and single in the 70's. The parish priest told my grandparents to put her in the Magdelene home. My grandad ran him out the gate.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Nothing has changed since then though - if a mother today consents under pressure from anyone - priest, parents, social services or whoever to give up her child, the unmarried father has no rights or say in it whatsoever. As far as I know anyway, without a long, expensive fight involving the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Church is now reaping the benefits of all of the crap that it's been guilty of, and it's a great shame that the politicians who allowed them the power to get away with it are long since dead and can't be touched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I contacted our local parish priest and he told us if the mother wants to take her then there is nothing we could do.' Christy attempted to reason with Wendy's mother but the priest she had arrived with prevented her from talking alone to the child's father.

Remarkable how this story suddenly morphs in the middle from a "priest snatches baby from father" story to a "mother took her child from its father" story. Essentially, the mother arrived with the priest as muscle. Still, that doesn't make for a catchy headline though.

And by snipping it down, as you've just done OP, you mangle the story completely.

Remarkable how this story suddenly morphs in the middle from a "priest snatches baby from father" story to a "mother took her child from its father" story. Still, that doesn't make for a catchy headline though.

And by snipping it down, as you've just done OP, you mangle the story completely.
    I didnt snip the story down, a moderator did .
    It looks like the mother abandoned her child to the father for 3 months, and then came back into the frame after a priest got involved to say the child should be adopted.
    So in my opinion the child was more the fathers as he was the main caregiver , so the child was snatched from the father.

I didnt snip the story down, a moderator did .

Apologies Ms McFly.

Mod - shoddy editing imho.

It looks like the mother abandoned her child to the father for 3 months, and then came back into the frame after a priest got involved to say the child should be adopted.
    So in my opinion the child was more the fathers as he was the main caregiver , so the child was snatched from the father.

Yeah, that's what it looks like. Fathers rights have always been, and continue to be woefully inadequate and riiculously poorly enforced in this country. Unfortunetly, in the eyes of the law, I suspect that child was "hers"....i don;t think much has changed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Hard to believe it was still going on in the seventies. I remember one of our neighbour's, girls got herself pregnant in the late seventies. There was no question of adoption, the child was simply taken on another baby by the parents. They had eight kids already. Hardly a scandal and the local priests didn't interfere. They were actually returned missionary priests so probably a bit more liberal and worldly wise. Plus it was Dublin not some claustrophobic small town.

Back in the thirties my Mother and her sister were put in an orphanage by the church and by extension the State, when their Mother died. This despite the fact that her Father was there and numerous extended family including grandparents.

They were treating roughly but not as bad as others because their Father paid for their keep. Money is everything to the church. Every year she got a pair of shoes but it was always given to a more needy girl, which rather defeats the purpose.

I'm more angry about what happened to her than she is. Those were times she went through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

xflyer wrote: »
    . I remember one of our neighbour's, girls got herself pregnant in the late seventies.

all on her own?

Hard to believe it was still going on in the seventies. I remember one of our neighbour's, girls got herself pregnant in the late seventies. There was no question of adoption, the child was simply taken on another baby by the parents. They had eight kids already. Hardly a scandal and the local priests didn't interfere. They were actually returned missionary priests so probably a bit more liberal and worldly wise. Plus it was Dublin not some claustrophobic small town.

So what your saying is, nothing happened.....that family carried on as before....
    Back in the thirties my Mother and her sister were put in an orphanage by the church and by extension the State
    their Father paid for their keep

Forgive me, but this story seems more complex than they "were put in and orphanage by the church"

Advertisement