Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ragweek thread time

• 21-02-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Ah..it's that time of year for the annual boards Galway City forum NUIG ragweek thread. Baton down the hatches!

I live in the city centre and it's been fine so far, not that would go out this week in the evening for a drink or walk after dark.

I think last year NUIG had expelled someone by Tuesday - something to do with setting fire to their house in Corrib Village?

I'd say it's pretty mad down there at this time of the year :) I think it's all unofficial this year, just promoted by the bars/clubs/off licenses

Anyone seen any mad stuff so far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I was out last night with the girlfriend and Dominic Street was decent enough. Busier than it normally would be on a Monday night but well behaved enough.

I hear Eyre Square was mental though.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Hear there was 15 arrests (on Galway bay FM and galwaynews.ie) last night (Monday) a a small fire outside Supermacs Eyre Square.

Went through town tonight, which is "Donegal Night" and town seemed very busy, not insane, but plenty of hammered young ones!

Brother told me he saw a group of p*ssed students abusing a busker down town, that would only have been at about 8pm.

I'm all for people having the craic and a good time with a few drinks but when they start interfering with other people, privacy and property it annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i thought both NUIG and GMIT had banned/ended RAG week?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

k.
    I think last year NUIG had expelled someone by Tuesday - something to do with setting fire to their house in Corrib Village?
    I don't think NUIG has expelled anyone in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Bazzy

skelliser wrote: »
    i thought both NUIG and GMIT had banned/ended RAG week?

They did ban them but there now calling it a "social week"

It was donegal day yesterday was doing a job in town between 12 and 2 ish and i'd never seen as many donegal jerseys in my life ! even at croker

There was a few pissed one lad roaring nothing too major but that was early in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Walked through Eyre Square at 6pm yesterday evening and most were well behaved and just hiding from the rain.

One thing I was shocked by is in the Centra across from the Red Square, There was a chap in front of me in the queue who was literally unable to stand he was so drunk...but he managed to order a bottle of bucky from behind the counter without any problem.

Do the same laws about serving drunk people in pubs apply to Shops ?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Walked through Eyre Square at 6pm yesterday evening and most were well behaved and just hiding from the rain.

One thing I was shocked by is in the Centra across from the Red Square, There was a chap in front of me in the queue who was literally unable to stand he was so drunk...but he managed to order a bottle of bucky from behind the counter without any problem.

For serving a person who is drunk and/or a drunk person on your premises is against the law in a licensed premises, and technically, an off-licence is a licensed premises. But Responsible Service of Alcohol is not a mandatory course for people who will be serving alcohol here in Ireland, unlike, for example, Canada, where if one gets drunk and breaks a window down the road from where one drank, the individual who served one the alcohol which drove one to be out of your own control, is held responsible. It needs to come into force, at least for the sake of educating those in the Service Industry about the dangers etc (I am in the service Industry and have received this RSA training before, only due to where I used to work and the college course I am doing).

Apparently this is mentioned in the new report for the drugs and alcohol misuse legislation thing.

NUIG and GMIT management and SU have nothing to do with 'RAG' week anymore, these events were solely organised but pubs/clubs and people on social networking sites. However I know GMIT do have a number of 'events' on over the next 2 weeks.......which are for charity......

Also, "Social Week" was to the best of my knowledge, plucked out of the air by a Councillor, not one Facebook page, Twitter page, or club/pub advertisement have I see "Social Week" advertised on it. Cp's are calling it Party Week, and I'm sure there's plenty of other names for it too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dunnnnnygaaaaahwl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

2 H'official patrol cars and 1 H'official Paddy Wagon outside of the Hole in the Wall on Eyre Street at 6pm yesterday evening - They were spilling out onto the street (literally)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Normally hate rag week and students But somehow ended up pulling a young one last night. Anyway we ended up at her place in hazel park. There was a mad party on in the house. One of her friends had already shagged 3 lads at the party and there was still a few more for her to work her way through:eek: I must Be getting old cos i was shocked:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Tugboats wrote: »
    Normally hate rag week and students But somehow ended up pulling a young one last night. Anyway we ended up at her place in hazel park. There was a mad party on in the house. One of her friends had already shagged 3 lads at the party and there was still a few more for her to work her way through:eek: I must Be getting old cos i was shocked:o

What number hazel park?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

yeehaw wrote: »
    What number hazel park?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

no really

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Anyone seen any mad stuff so far?

Didn't see it myself, but Mr justMary saw people queuing to get into the Hole in the Wall (Galway's most aptly named pub :p ) mid afternoon yesterday. That's just nuts.

City centre streets have had lots of yelling all night and broken glass in the morning - more than normal, but less than Rag week last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

JustMary wrote: »
    Didn't see it myself, but Mr justMary saw people queuing to get into the Hole in the Wall (Galway's most aptly named pub :p ) mid afternoon yesterday. That's just nuts.

City centre streets have had lots of yelling all night and broken glass in the morning - more than normal, but less than Rag week last year.

The place was wedged at 12! Apparently big crowd in there shortly after 10 am madness! Donegal Tuesday was on and the amount of people around the place in Donegal GAA jerseys was insane. I heard that the hole in the wall had to close at 6 can anyone confirm this?

Mr justMary reports that the gardi visited Hole in the Wall three times between 10pm and midnight tonight.

He think they've invented a new competition among themselves: how many students can you fit in a cell. Apparently it's a variation on the telephone box game, except that 'cos cells are higher, the students can be stacked further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

In that they are stupid and ignored? Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Anyway we ended up at her place in hazel park. One of her friends had already shagged 3 lads at the party and there was still a few more for her to work her way through:eek:

Hazel Park - The new hole in the wall :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

In all seriousness..

Is this a joke or not? I need to know for science.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Students go to the whole in the wall during the afternoon shocker.

FFs I went there more than a few times in the afternoon when I had my first stint in NUIG more than 10 years ago - rag week or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mangled

cgpg5 wrote: »
    The place was wedged at 12! Apparently big crowd in there shortly after 10 am madness! Donegal Tuesday was on and the amount of people around the place in Donegal GAA jerseys was insane. I heard that the hole in the wall had to close at 6 can anyone confirm this?

yeah it closed to "re-stock". opened up again shortly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

antoobrien wrote: »

FFs I went there more than a few times in the afternoon when I had my first stint in NUIG more than 10 years ago - rag week or not.

I think the whole "nuts" part of the story is having to queue up to go in there in the afternoon. Not the fact that they are in the Hole in the Wall.

antoobrien wrote: »

FFS right back at ya .. did you queue to get into that particular pub? Would any sane person do so?

I know what I think, YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

FFS right back at ya .. did you queue to get into that particular pub? Would any sane person do so?

Because when you are in college it one of the best pubs for the craic. It might not be the nicest pub, but its great craic.

You need to lighten up a bit, stop being so grumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

probably wouldn't have done, the bouncers would have recognized me from going to various pubs in the woodquay area with buddies from a hurling team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Soo...how about some Supermacs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Shlippery wrote: »

Soo...how about some Supermacs?

He seems to be hanging from the roof for some of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I'm dizzy after watching that............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I knew prior to watching that video to expect several knacker buzzcuts but that exceeded my lofty expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Here is a link to the GTI Gazette which tells of the carrying on around Supermacs.

http://www.gtigazette.com/?p=4812
    Last night as hundreds left the nightclubs of Galway City, they were greeted with the chanting of a few hundred more, as Galway’s “Unofficial” RAG Week had its busiest night so far.
    With a near dozen members of the Gardaí Síochána looking on, Supermacs, located in Eyre Square turned from a fast food outlet to an all-out riot. At approximately 3:00am the chanting and jumping began inside Supermacs, as hundreds pushed from the outside and people were left with little space to breath inside. With several people taking to the tops of tables, the makeshift choir began to perform, leaping up and down as Gardaí were left helpless, not able to cope with the excess students in the building.
    The Seekers anthem of “We Shall Not Be Moved” resonated throughout the heart of Galway. As the hundreds occupied Supermacs from the inside, outside a couple of hundred more backed up the happenings inside. With the chants shifting to “The Huns are Going Bust”, appropriate due to the current financial issues within Rangers FC and then finally “Ooh Ah Up the Ra” before things became destructive.
    Using craft and creativity, ceiling panels became the victim as several revellers began to remove them from above. In the end, Eyre Square was occupied with a large crowd until the early hours of Thursday morning.
    This was the first major incident of anti-social behaviour during “Unofficial” RAG Week, which many believe has simply lit a fire under the students of the city. The number of arrests last night won’t be released by Mill Street, however one would assume it was into double digits.
    Here’s a video – Unofficial RAG Week 2012

Bloody hell.............That's some amount of a crowd in the linked video at the end of the text!!!

Advertisement