Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DELL Inspiron laptop not booting up

• 21-11-2008 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

My sisters laptop running XP has suddenly for some reason been unable to boot up. When attempting to boot the machine I get the blue screen and UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error.
    From searching other posts the recommendation seems to be to boot using the XP CD and run the repair operation.
    I've tried booting from this CD but after the various drivers are loaded etc. I then get another blue screen and the following error:

pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000

I'm unable to start Windows in safe mode or from the last known good configuration.

Does anyone know a way to get around this or does the hard drive need to be replaced?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Someone better in knowledge will correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like that the format structure of your hard-drive has become so faulty that it needs to be totally reformatted completely. Possibly down to the level of removing the partition structure and re-creating it again completely.

Getting error messages about it being unmountable is a partition format error (if my memory serves me right).
    The pci.sys error means that the file is not loadable to a memory destination for some reason.
    The hard-drive might be ok. A re-format (full, not quick format) of the drive and attempting a correct full install again will help to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 market_garden

Thanks Biggins. Do you know how I can reformat the hard drive without being able to boot up from the XP CD?

Advertisement