Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master of the High Court ?

• 12-05-2011 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

As many here will have heard the comments about mortgage debt made by the Master of the High Court yesterday I was wondering just what exactly the position of Master is - what does he do ? Is he a Judge or a Barrister or a Civil Servant ? Is this the same position as Taxing Master ?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Delancey wrote: »
    As many here will have heard the comments about mortgage debt made by the Master of the High Court yesterday I was wondering just what exactly the position of Master is - what does he do ? Is he a Judge or a Barrister or a Civil Servant ? Is this the same position as Taxing Master ?

Kinda all three. He's a senior counsel and a public servant who performs a judicial role. It is similar in status, but different in role.

P.S. judges are also public servants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Master Honahan carefully checks the proofs before giving any financial organisation a judgement.

The late and legendary Pat Lindsay S.C. was also a Master of the High Court. If you had a client from the West under pressure from a bank - a year's adjournment? no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Thanks for the replies . Is he also the Taxing Master who adjudicates on disputed legal bills or is that another person ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No. That is a different person.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I absolutely love the Master. He can be a bit aggressive at times, but he keeps practitioners on their toes and he's a bit of a laugh.

He's called himself the paperwork checker of the High Court before which I found amusing. Didn't hear what he said yesterday yet... we got texts saying RTE were filming him around there but I was on circuit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement