Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deposit on Bike

Options
  • 14-05-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

Hi
    On Thursday i visited a man selling a bike, bike was in good nick and i decided i'd like to take it, so put a deposit down and both signed paper to say i'll pay the final amount and put a signature on it,
    he just rang me now and told me he sold it to someone else for a higher price.

Can he do this and do have any case for it, i really wanted the bike.
    or should i just walk away and forget about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Look at it this way- irrespective of whether he was or was not entitled to do what he did, is it worth getting a solicitor to write a few letters to this guy in order for you to get your bike? Is the bike worth more than your potential costs?
    Once he gave the deposit back I would just leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

When i say bike i meant motorbike, sorry. but you are probably right, i'm sure another one will come by again, just like this one. it cost 3k, put down a 200€ deposit.

Whats the point of a deposit if it isn't really honored, is it only for screwing the buyer out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Deposits are more for the seller than anything. They give them reasons to keep the bike for you and show you are serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

In contractual terms you might be able to make a claim for specific performance (make him fulfill his end of the bargain), but in the end you could use that money to buy an even better bike.

Advertisement