Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Audi A6 2.5 TDi Quattro

• 30-05-2006 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

Anyone here ever drive one of these or have any knowledge of these cars? The quattro version has the 180bhp engine. I'm thinking about changing my car for one of these with the auto 'box.

So, what's the fuel consumption like?

Any known serious engine problems/failures?

Any other general experiences with the car?

Ideally, I'd prefer an allroad, but they are just too dear, so a saloon or avant would do fine I guess. But just wondering would I be throwing good money after bad for one of these. I could bring one in from the UK pretty cheaply too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Audi A6 is a nice big comfortable car - if you like that sort of thing. All VW Group TDI engines are, in the main, reliable and relatively frugal on fuel consumption. The Quattro will be a bit heavier on fuel vs the FWD model but not by much. Plenty of torque in that 2.5TDI too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭AlanD

Big comfortable cars? yes, I love them. I have a 2.2 diesel 607 which I love. Very comfortable. My sports car days are over, although I do have a 1.7 Puma which is a little rocket as a run about.

My preference for the quattro would be down to BHP. Quattro has 180bhp and FWD has 150/155 (depending on year) so I reckon if I'm going to be taxing and insuring a 2.5, I better get the biggest bang for my money. Although I do believe the 155 bhp A6 is a fine drive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,758 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice comfortable and stylish motor, but not soft as your 607. Loads of torque from 1500rpm which is extremely early. Very heavy on the juice in city traffic for a diesel. What year are you going for, '00/'01?

unkel wrote:
    Nice comfortable and stylish motor, but not soft as your 607. Loads of torque from 1500rpm which is extremely early. Very heavy on the juice in city traffic for a diesel. What year are you going for, '00/'01?

Not being as soft as the 607 is ok, as sometimes the 607 is too soft when not driving on big main roads.

Thankfully I almost never have to drive in city traffic so the awful consumption there wouldn't put me off. Most driving it out on the open road. I get about 48mpg from my 2.2 607 on a lively trip to Letterkenny from Limerick. Not bad really. If I could manage 40 from an A6 I'd be happy enough.

I reckon a '00/'01 would do the trick if the miles were around 60k.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭conor_mc

I'd imagine the auto would be heavier on juice than the manual, and I reckon the VRT on a 2.5 must cost a few quid.....

• Advertisement

conor_mc wrote:
    I'd imagine the auto would be heavier on juice than the manual, and I reckon the VRT on a 2.5 must cost a few quid.....

the auto would be heavier alright. Love auto's though so happy with the extra cost burden.

VRT on a car like this is less than 6k which is not too bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Would that 2.5 TDI be a variant of the 2.5 TDI that gave endless amounts of trouble in VW transporters due to overly fragile and hard to access (therefore expensive to replace/service, therefore neglected) timing belts ??

Or is it a different motor / easier to get at?

Heard horror stories about 2.5 TDI transporters while sussing out whether or not to get one ...
    Apparently that timing belt had a tendency not only to break prematurely, but also to stretch/slip, offsetting the timing.

That's very interesting....

From what I've discovered, there was an older 5 cylinder 2.5 unit that outputted about 140 bhp pre-2000. This unit would have gone in to some Volvo's and other cars. I believe in Volvo's it gave trouble anyway.

This 2.5 TDI is a V6 engine that is different from the older version.

Are both troublesome? Haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

From http://www.honestjohn.co.uk:

What's Good:
    Good looking Passat-based Audi, with Audi styled body. 15' 9" long by 6' 4" wide, weighing 1,390 to 1,680kg. 2.4 30-valve V6 is a nice, powerful (165-170 bhp) engine. Handling 'soft' but not floaty and grip is quite good. 150 bhp 2.5 V6 TDI available as Quattro. Estate versions. 230 bhp twin-turbo 2.7T and 340 bhp 4.2 V8 S6 launched autumn 1999. V6 TDI upped to 180 bhp in July 2000. Impressive new Multitronic CVT transmission available in UK on 2.4 litre V6s from late summer 2000. Three year warranty. Re-engineered Summer 2001. Multitronic more widely available. TDI PD 130 the most tax-efficient executive company car. Road test of new range at www.honestjohn.co.uk Awesome 450bhp RS6 versions of its A6 saloon and Avant lauched at Geneva Show March 2002 with RHD deliveries set for autumn 2002. 4.2 litre twin-turbo V8 puts out 331kW (450bhp) between 5,700 and 6,400rpm and a massive 560Nm (413 lb ft) torque from 1,950 to 5,600rpm. This is fed through a beefed up 5-speed Tiptronic autobox to the Quattro four-wheel-drive system. Performance figures are quoted at 0-100km (62mph) in 4.7 seconds, so take a couple of points off for the 0-60 time. Top speed electronically limited to 250kph (156mph), but derestricted can do 190 and the sprint to 200kph (125mph) takes just 17.6 seconds. RS6 is first Audi to be equipped with Dynamic Ride Control, which counteracts movements of the vehicle along its longitudinal and transverse axis. When a corner is taken, a flow of oil damping force is generated via the central valve between the diagonally opposed shock absorbers, almost entirely eliminating rolling and pitching. Massive 255/40 R18 tyres are standard with the option of gargantuan 255/35 R 19s. UK prices: RS6 saloon £57,000; RS6 Avant £58,000. Phenomenal drive. 2.5 litre 163bhp and 180bhp TDIs Euro 4 compliant, saving 3% diesel BIK penalty, from June 2003. Rated one of the cheapest 'luxury' cars cars to run in 2003 Which survey (but depends on your definition of 'luxury'?). 1998-2000 petrol and 2001-2003 diesels average for breakdowns, problems and faults in 2003 Which survey. Final edition: RS6 Plus Avant with 480bhp and 560Nm torque launched Apil 2004 at £66.675 with first UK customer deliveries June. 0-100kph in 4.6 seconds and 0-200kph in just 17.3 seconds. High Spec 'Final Edition' run-out versions of Avant launched October 2004.

What's Bad:
    Tiptronic gearbox lever works wrong way round (forward for upshifts, backwards for downshifts). Three-Star NCAP crash test rating. Reports of heavy oil consumption of 2.4 litre V6. ADAC in Germany reported a lot of other problems with A6 generally, including fuel pump, fuel tank, air-mass meter, wheel bearings, front wishbones, air filter, instruments, heated door mirrors and timing belts. Have had reports of repeated electric window failure, driver's side. Franchised dealer servicing can be expensive. 1.8 20v engines are snapping their timing belts at 70,000 - 80,000 miles and the extensive damage this causes is not repairable. The car will need a replacement engine. 1.8 20v timing belt drives waterpump. 1.8 20Vs also suffering problems with air mass sensors which cost around £200 to replace. All 1.8 20V turbos built from around August 2001 to October 2002 can suffer from failure of one or more of the four ignition coils, which lead to a dispute butween VAG and a supplier and asevere shortage of coils from November 2002 to January 2003. One confirmed report of the unexplained failure of a Multitronic gearbox. Power loss on TDI 90s and 110s over 3,000rpm can be cured by replacing a thin hose that runs from the exhaust, near the turbo, to the ECU. Lock of front passenger door can fail. According to J.A., the fix is to remove 3 screws that hold the door trim on, then remove or stick back the sound insulation inside the door to the outer door skin, making sure that none is jammed in the lock mechanism. In 95% of cases the door lock will now lock and un lock on demand. Total cost 15 minutes time. On 2.7Ts, failure of the Bosch air mass meter can lead to failure of the Tiptronic autobox, which costs £4,681 to £5,750 to replace. Average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 101.16 v/s lowest 31.93). Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk 1998-2000 diesels average for problems and faults but poor for breakdowns in 2003 Which survey.

Recalls:
    A6s built March '98 to August '98: Steering ball joints (track rod ends)could fail. March 2001: Worldwide recall of 560,000 1999 model year A4s, A6s, A8s and VW Passats to replace steering ball joints (track rod ends). Announced Auto Bild 11/3/2001. 1-8-2002: Brake pedal may have a casting fault. Needs to be replaced on 56 cars. 16-10-02: On cars with 3 spoke steering wheels airbags may not work. Airbag to be replaced, but affects only 79 of 4,400 cars. April 2004: Worldwide recall of 870,000 1996-1999 Passat, 1994-1999 A4, 1997-1999 A6 and 1994-1999 A8s for "free check for possible damage of the rubber bellows of the front axle. The problem could lead to premature wear and, in isolated cases, to the failure of the bearing arm." December 2005: Dealer TSB to replace current 6 pack clutch of 2.5V6TDI Multitronic with a new revised 7 part clutch as there is a known problem with the Multitronic being unable to cope with the torque of the 2.5tdi.

You're right, Alan. The 5 cylinder went into the transporter, to volvo and into the A6. The most VAG got out of it was 140bhp. The V6 is a completely new engine

The V6 had a recall for multitronic boxes though, check out if that's been done, if not the dealer will do it for free:
    December 2005: Dealer TSB to replace current 6 pack clutch of 2.5V6TDI Multitronic with a new revised 7 part clutch as there is a known problem with the Multitronic being unable to cope with the torque of the 2.5tdi

• Advertisement

Ah, crossed posts with bazz26 - sure might as well copy the lot in from HJ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Hope your not trading in the 607? deprecation will be fierce!

a friend of mine has the 1999 2.6 TDI Quattro a6, manual box, lovely car, not as bad on diesel as you think, but expensive to road tax.
    what about the 1.9tdi 130bhp? hard to get in Quattro, but not a bad car either.

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Hope your not trading in the 607? deprecation will be fierce!

a friend of mine has the 1999 2.6 TDI Quattro a6, manual box, lovely car, not as bad on diesel as you think, but expensive to road tax.
    what about the 1.9tdi 130bhp? hard to get in Quattro, but not a bad car either.

ah the depreciation on the 607 won't be as bad as some would have you believe. The biggest hit was already taken before I bought the car and I did get it at a very good price. Expected depreciation at this stage now has levelled out, although if I add another 30k miles to it, I'd take a serious hit. So over the next 6 months I'd be able to change the 607 without too much financial damage. It'll probably take me 6 months to fine a good A6!

Yes, the 1.9 TDi 130bhp would be a contender if it had enough extras like memory seats, xenons, etc. But that level car is unlikely to have spec like that. A friend has one of those A6's and I think it's a great car, plenty of power. The 2.5 would be awesome and more than likely well specced. I like my car comforts you see.

I'd bring one in from the UK toys and all if buying at all, although I'll see if I can find one to drive in Ireland first.

Advertisement