Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

sonnky wrote: »
    Ya the supporters seem like awful dick heads in fairness. Also I don't like Cody think he is a very arrogant fellow.

We have our share of dickheads but only our share, no more or less than any other county. I have to say I never heard much in the way of bitterness when at Kilkenny- Galway matches. I always thought they were both amongst the more civilized sets of supporters. Arrogance is as far away from Cody's nature as to be a laughable comment. I defy you to quote any arrogant remark he has ever passed about any opposition in over 14 years in charge of Kilkenny.

By the way why do you not concentrate on what was a wonderful match and praise it for what it was, remembering that it took two great teams to give such a great display rather than this Irish need to disparage all and everything from the opposing county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I find the Kilkenny crowd as fine as any, their arrogant side does tend to come out when it comes to hurling but if we'd as much won as they did we'd be the same and I think you'd say the same of most counties. There is knobs from all counties.

The bottom line is Kilkenny and others (such as Tipp and Cork) don't regard Galway as a serious hurling team who have the guts to go and deliver on the big day at senior level and to be fair history has shown that to be true more often than not.

We won't get any meaningful respect until we go and win an All-Ireland. It's like Keith Wood said about the All-Blacks, until you beat them they won't respect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

By the way why do you not concentrate on what was a wonderful match and praise it for what it was, remembering that it took two great teams to give such a great display rather than this Irish need to disparage all and everything from the opposing county.
    Didn't disparage all and everything, made it clear I've great time for the team & their conduct on & off the pitch, just find the attitude of their supporters hard to stomach.

I find the Kilkenny crowd as fine as any, their arrogant side does tend to come out when it comes to hurling but if we'd as much won as they did we'd be the same and I think you'd say the same of most counties. There is knobs from all counties.

The bottom line is Kilkenny and others (such as Tipp and Cork) don't regard Galway as a serious hurling team who have the guts to go and deliver on the big day at senior level and to be fair history has shown that to be true more often than not.

We won't get any meaningful respect until we go and win an All-Ireland. It's like Keith Wood said about the All-Blacks, until you beat them they won't respect you.

You could not be more wrong. Kilkenny always fear Galway and you cannot fear some one you do not respect. If we did not prepare for playing you as well as Cody makes us prepare Galway would hockey us all the time. Galway were the most important game on Kilkenny's calender since the draw was made. Not one Kilkenny person I know was thinking about a Leinster or an All Ireland final, just Galway and that is the way it will be until next Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Have no grudge with KK fans myself. One of the more impressive things that's ever happened to me at a match was when KK fans left before half time in that Leinster Final and walked up at least 6 rows to shake myself and a mate's hand in congratulations. I've met far more annoying Galway fans in all honesty.

That said there was a post in the KK thread slating Tannian as a scumbag. Short memory of Tan being taken out of it against the cats in a pretty important game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

Good weekend for Galway overall.

In Tullamore today, I don't even know where to begin but Galway have another shot that we probably didn't deserve. To go from a 1 point lead to trail by 10 is a recurring problem for Galway. Kilkenny eased up but all credit to the lads for sticking with it. I thought the late goals were window dressing but its proof that if you get the right ball in and run at Kilkenny, you can get goals. Really we should have had 2 or 3 more earlier in the game.

However, overall you'd have to question management today. David Burke wasn't playing well but was left on until it looked to be too late. 3 or 4 others didn't deliver also but there were many more who did. Andy Smith did well, Canning did ok in the first half and really delivered when it mattered. Johnny Glynn made a huge impact. Jason Flynn, Niall Burke, David Burke and Cathal Mannion need to play in more than fits and starts. Brehony didn't really have a great day at the office. Tannian was a mixed bag but along with David Collins kept going when the tide was coming against them. Fergal Moore looks to be struggling more and more with each day out. The two Burkes in the backs performed well in general. I'd hope for more from Johnny Coen but he delivered in patches.

My nagging feeling is that Kilkenny were able to up the ante whenever Galway got a couple of points ahead, the fact we hung in there is to our credit and it was a much improved display on most of the last year and a half but the lads who had ok or poor games today will need to deliver next weekend if we are to advance and management will have to be a lot more ruthless.

So what did KK do in particular to deserve a win either? For 55 minutes both teams were very evenly matched. Then KK had a purple patch, followed by similar from Galway. (And it must be worrying for KK that Galway ran through their defence in a way that they didn't up the other end). For KK, Mark Kelly and Walter Walsh were practically passengers, Eoin Larkin largely subdued, TJ Reid didn't actually hit a meaningful ball from play until the 58th minute, Jackie Tyrell under real pressure, JJ had his difficulties etc. For all the talk about their strength on the bench, it was the old timer's KK turned to when things got tough, a compliment of sorts in itself to Galway.

Galway on the other hand have a lot of scope for improvement too. Daithi, though not especially bad, had his quietest game of the year, Johnny Coen needs to up it too, Brehony, in his first big game remember, was largely by-passed. The forwards really need to hit the ground running, it's no good hoping for them to play their way into the game eventually, it has to come quicker. Cathal Mannion may not start the next day, but Johnny Glynn could also be better off the bench rather than starting. Why not leave Niall Burke FF when he had a good stint there in the first half? And what to do with David Burke? Drop him? Play him midfield? Third midfielder? To repeat, it's no longer good enough waiting for him, he has to produce quicker and constantly.
    Tannian, for all the criticism leveled at him, (by me too), had a fairly powerful match, especially considering the knock he took early on.

The replay will be won by however adapts their tactics and players more adroitly; it was KK in 2012, is it Galway's turn now?

MfMan wrote: »
    So what did KK do in particular to deserve a win either? For 55 minutes both teams were very evenly matched. Then KK had a purple patch, followed by similar from Galway. (And it must be worrying for KK that Galway ran through their defence in a way that they didn't up the other end). For KK, Mark Kelly and Walter Walsh were practically passengers, Eoin Larkin largely subdued, TJ Reid didn't actually hit a meaningful ball from play until the 58th minute, Jackie Tyrell under real pressure, JJ had his difficulties etc. For all the talk about their strength on the bench, it was the old timer's KK turned to when things got tough, a compliment of sorts in itself to Galway.

Galway on the other hand have a lot of scope for improvement too. Daithi, though not especially bad, had his quietest game of the year, Johnny Coen needs to up it too, Brehony, in his first big game remember, was largely by-passed. The forwards really need to hit the ground running, it's no good hoping for them to play their way into the game eventually, it has to come quicker. Cathal Mannion may not start the next day, but Johnny Glynn could also be better off the bench rather than starting. Why not leave Niall Burke FF when he had a good stint there in the first half? And what to do with David Burke? Drop him? Play him midfield? Third midfielder? To repeat, it's no longer good enough waiting for him, he has to produce quicker and constantly.
    Tannian, for all the criticism leveled at him, (by me too), had a fairly powerful match, especially considering the knock he took early on.

The replay will be won by however adapts their tactics and players more adroitly; it was KK in 2012, is it Galway's turn now?
    As a Kilkenny man I cant find fault with this analysis. We have a huge amount of work to do in a week to be ready for Galway. I believe overall Galway are the happier after today and with more reason to be happy. The consolation for Kilkenny is that we know where the problem lies. As to if we have the personnel to solve the problem well that is Brian Cody's homework for the week and better him than me. There will be no Brian Kennedy or Walter Walsh picked and Jackie wont be center back. Who will replace them I have no idea I just hope Cody does.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Have to say I grew up listening to tales about the great Christy Ring,John Keane,John Doyle,watched in awe as a kid Jimmy Barry Murphy,loved the wristwork of Billy Fitzpatrick and had the pleasure of being able to say I met the great Brian Whelehan but in years to come id love to be able to tell the grandchildren about the great Joe Canning. To me he is the Messi/Ronaldo of our great game. I would travel the length and breadth of this country to see him play. In an era where the pace of the game has rapidly increased the cream still rise to the top,and at 35 yrs old Henry Shefflin deserves tremendous credit for standing the test of time(his comebacks from so many serious injuries tell you how driven he is)both their last scores yesterday were fairytale stuff.

The last thing I want to do is start a war of words about whom is better,Canning or Shefflin! This is just my own personal opinion,I'm sure others will have their own personal favourites and examples why but the mighty Joe for me ticks all the boxes.

cul beag wrote: »
    Have to say I grew up listening to tales about the great Christy Ring,John Keane,John Doyle,watched in awe as a kid Jimmy Barry Murphy,loved the wristwork of Billy Fitzpatrick and had the pleasure of being able to say I met the great Brian Whelehan but in years to come id love to be able to tell the grandchildren about the great Joe Canning. To me he is the Messi/Ronaldo of our great game. I would travel the length and breadth of this country to see him play. In an era where the pace of the game has rapidly increased the cream still rise to the top,and at 35 yrs old Henry Shefflin deserves tremendous credit for standing the test of time(his comebacks from so many serious injuries tell you how driven he is)both their last scores yesterday were fairytale stuff.

The last thing I want to do is start a war of words about whom is better,Canning or Shefflin! This is just my own personal opinion,I'm sure others will have their own personal favourites and examples why but the mighty Joe for me ticks all the boxes.

There is no true hurling follower from any county that does not hold Joe Canning in the greatest esteem. I met the great Mick Mackey once and that was the thrill of my life and I was an adult at the time. Denis Coughlan of your own county was one of my all time favorite hurlers. The best are admired no matter where they or you are from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Well f it anyway. Bloody qualifiers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I can always get a Kilkenny friend highly agitated just by mentioning the Limerick win 1973

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

One final point - am I the only one who thinks that kk supporters are the most obnoxious and unsporting in the country? I suppose they've had pretty much unbroken success for up to 14/15 years now, but surely that doesn't give them the right to be abusive to all opposing players, telling their own players to "teach them a lesson" at every opportunity, abusing all referees & linesmen, and openly sneering at all other counties supporters. I usually get on well with supporters of most counties (& would see banter as a very important part of any match day), but kk people really get under my skin. I think their hurling teams are class acts and always are humble in victory, but their followers always leave a sour taste in the mouth.

I have to say, I am so sick of hearing this lark about Kilkenny supporters over the years.

As a fan who goes to all of the matches and would never be abusive towards the opposing team or fans I find it incredibly insulting that other counties insist on carrying on with this sort of thing.

I was at the match yesterday and got on great with all of the Galway fans around me and didn't see or hear any of that nonsense from anyone on either side.

There are a minority of idiots in every county that carry on like that and Galway are no exception to that yet everyone seems to think it's only Kilkenny and all Kilkenny fans that are like that. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

I think both teams where not great yesterday, Galway and Kilkenny have fantastic players but look unbalanced. Neither team would beat Dublin on yesterdays form

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Kkboy wrote: »
    I think both teams where not great yesterday, Galway and Kilkenny have fantastic players but look unbalanced. Neither team would beat Dublin on yesterdays form

What are you basing this on? Dublin didn't exactly set the world alight against wexford in their semi final!!!

Kilkenny are league champions and galway comprehensively beat Dublin in the league aswell. Neither team will have any fear of Dublin. I believe the extra game will bring both teams on and expect the winners of the replay to win the leinster final.

Last year, dublin built up serious momentum enroute to the leinster final and thus were hard to stop. They have only played one game this year against an average wexford team!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

Have no grudge with KK fans myself. One of the more impressive things that's ever happened to me at a match was when KK fans left before half time in that Leinster Final and walked up at least 6 rows to shake myself and a mate's hand in congratulations. I've met far more annoying Galway fans in all honesty.

That said there was a post in the KK thread slating Tannian as a scumbag. Short memory of Tan being taken out of it against the cats in a pretty important game.

Out of order using that term about any player. This is arising from the TJ Reid injury in 2012. Time for everybody to put that behind them. TJ has managed to do that brilliantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Where do ye reckon the Connacht final will be on lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Worthwent14

c_man wrote: »
    Where do ye reckon the Connacht final will be on lads?

Mchale park castlebar sunday July 13th @ 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I really hope Galway view the Connacht final as having two cracks at the cherry to make a Quarter final. If we fall short against Mayo, which is most likely, the worst thing would be to have a hangover from that defeat like so many sides going into the qualifiers. It'd be great if they could keep the spirits good despite a defeat but I suppose thats where the management team come in. Hopefully it wont come to that in any case.

With Derry being knocked out and Loais unimpressive in the qualifiers, we've a great chance of making a QF. Should we make the QF through the front door, we will likwly be playing the loser of the munster final. If we make it though the qualifier route, we're due to play the winner of Munster! So in either case it'd be Cork or Kerry and neither of them are on that high an ebb at the moment. All hypothtical but we could be on for a decent summer, which is well due

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Im hoping for the shock result of the year and Galway are the Connacht champions.
    Well its hard to support your team if you have no belief in them and I predict a close match in Castlebar . ( who wants it more? )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

There are reasons to believe we'll get a good deal closer to Mayo this time around than last year, but realistically Mayo are the better team at the moment and should win but hopefully Galway can put up a performance and erase the memories of last year's debacle. A return to Croke Park would be nice because Galway have a good habit of playing well there.

As for the hurlers, for me the jury is out until we see what they can do next Saturday. There was an element of smash and grab about the comeback on Sunday and I'd be concerned at how Kilkenny so effortlessly brushed Galway aside when the game was there to be won at 2-12 apiece. That said, it was great to see that they didn't throw the towel in and in fairness there was a lot of heart shown by the team to fight their way back into it so hopefully they can take a lot of confidence from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

One final point - am I the only one who thinks that kk supporters are the most obnoxious and unsporting in the country?

You're doing a great job yourself there of being obnoxious with a comment like that. Reminds me of something an English teacher once said to me: generalisations are generally false.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Good win for the footballers, was pleasantly surprised to see a good following from Galway there. Was one of the hottest evenings I reckon I've ever watched Galway okay in, the heat on the terrace was unreal. Consequently the performance was even more encouraging. Forwards have great potential, a tight pitch like Sligo wasn't the best place to showcase it. If we could get to Croker (& avoid Dublin/Donegal/mayo there), they could really cut loose. Would be worried about our backs thou, serious jack of pace, esp the 2 corner backs. May have to bite the bullet on Duane, he has got the speed necessary. Mayo in Castlebar is a ferocious challenge, if the backs aren't on their toes it could be 2014 revisited. Hopefully not thou.
    As for the hurlers, hard to know where they're at. Great comeback, but to concede 1-8 without reply between 50-60 mins isn't good enough. Great character in fairness, but it's time for some real consistency now. Thought the backs struggled all day, with the exception of the 2 Burkes, although in fairness the amount of ball raining in on them was savage. Half fwrds were poor, esp D Burke. Didn't win enuf puckouts, in fairness J Glynn made a big difference there. JC delivered at the end, but took too long to get into the game. Replay is huge, it's unlikely we'll do well in the qualifiers, so I reckon it's go or get off the potty on Saturday, probably for this panel & mgmt team. Some things never change!
    One final point - am I the only one who thinks that kk supporters are the most obnoxious and unsporting in the country? I suppose they've had pretty much unbroken success for up to 14/15 years now, but surely that doesn't give them the right to be abusive to all opposing players, telling their own players to "teach them a lesson" at every opportunity, abusing all referees & linesmen, and openly sneering at all other counties supporters. I usually get on well with supporters of most counties (& would see banter as a very important part of any match day), but kk people really get under my skin. I think their hurling teams are class acts and always are humble in victory, but their followers always leave a sour taste in the mouth.

What a load of rubbish. Unless you have met a couple of thousand Kilkenny supporters and you have heard them talking brown and seen them engaging in the sort of behaviours mentioned above maybe you have a point but that is very unlikely so you have absolutely no place to be making comments like that. Thats like me going along saying I hate Galway supporters or their an obnoxious crowd because of the fact I heard a group of them absolutely abusing the referee the other day.

Its absolutely the same old sour shiite people go on with about kilkenny and it really annoys me, its either our supporters or we have the referees on our side. Complete bitterness and even worse the people who say it have absolutely no proof to back it up which says it all. For starters maybe take off the rose tinted glasses and look at it like a reasonable person would. "Openly sneering all other counties supporters" is another ridiculous comment, I am particularly looking at the word "all" in that statement. Again more crap. If what youre saying is true then we must be all pricks and humanity is doomed, you would swear its a throwback to the 1980's and football hooliganism with the way you are painting kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I dont have a problem with most countys fans but I dislike Waterford fans. In 2010 when they beat Cork in Munster Final replay. Next day i was walking down Dungarvan with a few of my mates in Cork jerseys and many of the Waterford people were shouting at us to "go back home to Cork" " Hard luck boys we show ye how to play hurling" and "ho ho look whos in town" "Munster final is over lads you are a day too late" "Cork are out boys" "theres the backdoor walk through it". Small bit much to be listening to from Waterford fans. We were on our way up to Wexford to see Cork footballers play Wexford that day funny enough. Just before we left Dungarvan i turned back to one of them and said enjoy the occasion lads because you wont win anything outside Munster. How right was i. I did enjoy Tipp hockey them out of the Championship when they played that year. I will support any team playing against them from then on. In fairness i havent got that from fans from any other county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

With a lot of success you're always going to get a touch of arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish. Unless you have met a couple of thousand Kilkenny supporters and you have heard them talking brown and seen them engaging in the sort of behaviours mentioned above maybe you have a point but that is very unlikely so you have absolutely no place to be making comments like that. Thats like me going along saying I hate Galway supporters or their an obnoxious crowd because of the fact I heard a group of them absolutely abusing the referee the other day.

Its absolutely the same old sour shiite people go on with about kilkenny and it really annoys me, its either our supporters or we have the referees on our side. Complete bitterness and even worse the people who say it have absolutely no proof to back it up which says it all. For starters maybe take off the rose tinted glasses and look at it like a reasonable person would. "Openly sneering all other counties supporters" is another ridiculous comment, I am particularly looking at the word "all" in that statement. Again more crap. If what youre saying is true then we must be all pricks and humanity is doomed, you would swear its a throwback to the 1980's and football hooliganism with the way you are painting kilkenny

All counties have their share of idiot followers, Galway / KK no worse than anyone else. Can be hot enough meself when the going gets tough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

MfMan wrote: »
    All counties have their share of idiot followers, Galway / KK no worse than anyone else. Can be hot enough meself when the going gets tough!!

I agree theres a minority in every county including Kilkenny for that matter and i get very annoyed when I hear people slating kilkenny like that, most of us arent like that at all. As someone else mentioned earlier, out of all the minority of idiot followers, I find waterfords to be the worst too, I work in waterford myself too and I find some of them to be very spiteful towards kilkenny and i have heard them at it too which I have often responded with a mouthful which I obviously would as a huge kilkenny fan, although I find most of these people tend to come from the city. But again its a minority as it is in every county, not all waterford people are like that either. Another incident was the disgraceful behaviour and abuse from Cork supporters behind the goal in Thurles last year when we played them. Every county has their group of idiots but us kk people are passionate and will always naturally get a bit riled up when we hear few snide remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

This afternoon, Leinster Council Chairman John Horan claimed an alternate arrangement had not been possible with RTÉ.
    “We waited on Monday morning for RTÉ to come to us with an offer as to a time suitable for them to actually show the game,” Horan told RTÉ’s News at One programme. “And the only offer put on the table by RTÉ was 2.30 on Saturday afternoon.
    “If it had come back to us with an offer at 5.00 in the evening, certainly we would have given some consideration, but 2.30 is unpractical [sic]."
    On Saturday evening, RTÉ is showing the Irish Derby on RTE One and the World Cup last 16 fixtures on RTE Two.
    “We’re an amateur organisation, the players involved in both teams have jobs, the supporters [are] the same,” Horan said. “And I think in due deference to Tullamore as a provincial business town, I think it would be very unfair for us to crash in on top of it on a busy Saturday afternoon with a match at 2.30.”

I cannot get my head around the Galway V Kilkenny not being broadcast live - put it on a 2:30 pm for feck sake. It takes about an hour and a half to get to Tullamore from both Kilkenny and Galway so not as if is too far (they have early matches in Croke Park). The "unfair on Tullamore" is a load of sh!te aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

h2005 wrote: »
    With a lot of success you're always going to get a touch of arrogance.

Exactly how I see it. Some KK fans have what i'd term a 'man utd type arrogance'. Theyre used to being the better than everyone else and kind of look down on the rest. It happens to a lesser extent in the GAA than in soccer. But Kerry fans are somewhat the same. Obviously that doesn't mean their people are any nicer or less nice than any other county, how could they be when most are from rural areas the exact same as any GAA fan. Theyre just different in what theyre used to when it comes to the team they support.

Cork people are the one anomaly in that they have an inferiority complex in life that spreads to sporting circles. Its part of what makes them unique though and isnt necessarily a bad thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

wprathead wrote: »
    I cannot get my head around the Galway V Kilkenny not being broadcast live - put it on a 2:30 pm for feck sake. It takes about an hour and a half to get to Tullamore from both Kilkenny and Galway so not as if is too far (they have early matches in Croke Park). The "unfair on Tullamore" is a load of sh!te aswell.

A 2.30 throw in would be a disaster for attendance.5pm or 7pm were the only options really.

And the unfair on Tullamore is not bull...A small town like that would rely heavily on Saturday shopping trade.The same businesses that the local clubs would be tapping up for sponsorship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement