Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Bryan Singer)

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Can anything kill the sentinels?

Been a while since I've watched it but a fair few were taken out by Magneto & Storm blowing up the X-Wing in the middle of a swarm of them. Bishop took out a few too I think. The big problem for the X-Men in DOFP was that the Sentinels outnumbered the X-Men so they were able to gang up on the more powerful mutants.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Bacchus wrote: »
    Been a while since I've watched it but a fair few were taken out by Magneto & Storm blowing up the X-Wing in the middle of a swarm of them. Bishop took out a few too I think. The big problem for the X-Men in DOFP was that the Sentinels outnumbered the X-Men so they were able to gang up on the more powerful mutants.

but i dont understand that...

they get blown up.. why dont they turn into diamond like one of them does when hes getting blasted with fire, the reason i ask is i watched a few of the cartoon aswell and they were just getting smashed to pieces.

Bishop did take a few out but when they are up close, he shoots and they are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

they get blown up.. why dont they turn into diamond like one of them does when hes getting blasted with fire, the reason i ask is i watched a few of the cartoon aswell and they were just getting smashed to pieces.

Bishop did take a few out but when they are up close, he shoots and they are fine

The ones in the future are Nimrod sentinels rather than the regular ones in the cartoon, which are closer to the 70s model. The Nimrod sentinel in the cartoon also came from the future. It was white with a pink face, was roughly human sized and pretty much indestructible also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Different Sentinel types, no?

The giant ones in the cartoon would have been Mark (gonna go with VI) while the ones in the film would have been based on the Nimrod types, which I don't think could be destroyed in the cartoon either.

Missed your chance to 'is not different sentinel types, ya Nimrod.'

Because they did not have the time to adapt. With the other examples, it took them a few seconds to adapt to counter the mutant power they were facing. They didn't have time to adapt to getting blown up. It's a shaky argument alright, they pretty much appear indestructible in the movie which is why the stakes are so high.

I've no comment on the cartoon stuff or how that relates to the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Bacchus wrote: »
    Because they did not have the time to adapt. With the other examples, it took them a few seconds to adapt to counter the mutant power they were facing. They didn't have time to adapt to getting blown up. It's a shaky argument alright, they pretty much appear indestructible in the movie which is why the stakes are so high.

I've no comment on the cartoon stuff or how that relates to the movie.
    Yep thats it. The exploding X-Jet gave them no chance same with the initial success of the Bishop/Blink and Blink/Colossus partnerships. Eventually tho they adapted and countered each mutant one at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I watched this movie again last night... brilliant stuff. Easily the best X-Men movie in my opinion. I hope, like the Dark Knight trilogy, this isn´t the best one and we are let down by the third act.

I am also very happy that the X-Men are not in the larger Marvel comic universe. So many mutants in a movie is hard enough to manage without cluttering it up with other comic book heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

I thought the first one - X men first class was far better and up there with X Men 2 as the best of the series.

As for being linked to the Marvel Universe I would prefer if it was but only for Wolverine to be in the Avengers film. Having Hugh Jackman make his final appearance in the next Avengers film would have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

X-Men is probably the only consistent non owned marvel franchise going, its the only one that you just cant ever seeing marvel getting back, i can nearly see them getting fantastic 4 back in a few years, unless FOX just adds them to the X-Men universe or something,

the spiderman franchise seemed to be going into overdrive there for a bit, but now that marvel is making its own spiderman film i dunno if sony have abandoned their plans for the venom and sinister six spinoffs and that, and it sounds like andrew garfield is done with spiderman,

i still havent rewatch DOFP, that needs to happen soon id say, i thought it was a little bit better than first class which was also great,i like the dark knight but i dont get the outpouring of love for it, i thought batman begins was the best of that trilogy, not that the others were bad, but i thought they had more problems than the first,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

TonyD79 wrote: »
    I thought the first one - X men first class was far better and up there with X Men 2 as the best of the series.

As for being linked to the Marvel Universe I would prefer if it was but only for Wolverine to be in the Avengers film. Having Hugh Jackman make his final appearance in the next Avengers film would have been great.

X-Men 2 is the best for me, X-Men 1 a close second.

Days of Future past is up there, but some of the future stuff was a bit shoddy imo.

As poor as X-Men 3 is I still think the
    Professor X death scene is still the best scene in all of the movies. Unfortunately it didn't make up for the rest of it

• Advertisement

don ramo wrote: »
    X-Men is probably the only consistent non owned marvel franchise going, its the only one that you just cant ever seeing marvel getting back, i can nearly see them getting fantastic 4 back in a few years, unless FOX just adds them to the X-Men universe or something,

Yeah, FF will go the way of Spidey in a few years I'd say. Fox just don't know what to do with the property and at this point are only holding on to it (by making crap movies) to spite Marvel.
    the spiderman franchise seemed to be going into overdrive there for a bit, but now that marvel is making its own spiderman film i dunno if sony have abandoned their plans for the venom and sinister six spinoffs and that, and it sounds like andrew garfield is done with spiderman,

That's all scrapped now I'd say. Spidey is part of the MCU so that would include the villains.
    i still havent rewatch DOFP, that needs to happen soon id say, i thought it was a little bit better than first class which was also great,i like the dark knight but i dont get the outpouring of love for it, i thought batman begins was the best of that trilogy, not that the others were bad, but i thought they had more problems than the first,

I recommend watching the Rogue cut. I enjoyed the extra scenes and they fit well in the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Bacchus wrote:
    That's all scrapped now I'd say. Spidey is part of the MCU so that would include the villains.

Well they're still owned by Sony but I think you're right the Sinister Six film has been scrapped. If Sony want the financial benefits of being linked to the MCU they won't do anything to upset that relationship. AFAIK Marvel don't want a SS movie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Well they're still owned by Sony but I think you're right the Sinister Six film has been scrapped. If Sony want the financial benefits of being linked to the MCU they won't do anything to upset that relationship. AFAIK Marvel don't want a SS movie
    yeah id love to know all the details of what marvel and sony have planned, marvel will make use of every character they can, the MCU is just starting phase 3, which could be the end of the road for this avengers team, and after that theyll start making use of the sony deal, maybe get the fantastic 4 rights back also,

marvel have done a lot for someone missing more or less all their main characters, think before 2008 who would have thought wed see a iron man or thor film,

now FOX are also supposedly working with Marvel to make an X-Men tv show, FOX dont have the tv rights, but because FOX and Disney dont get on there hasnt been an X-Men tv series in years, i dunno where they would go with an X-Men TV show, especially with the films doing so well for them, be weird recasting all the major characters,

now FOX are also supposedly working with Marvel to make an X-Men tv show, FOX dont have the tv rights, but because FOX and Disney dont get on there hasnt been an X-Men tv series in years, i dunno where they would go with an X-Men TV show, especially with the films doing so well for them, be weird recasting all the major characters,

I hope they don't try an X-Men TV show. The X-Men work great on the big screen with a big budget, why dilute it and turn them into something like Heroes or that other failed show about "mutants". Also, as you say it'd mean recasting the major characters again and would be a continuity nightmare to fit with the movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

They'd be much better off doing an X-Factor TV show imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I can see it being a 'mutant' show as opposed to a true X-Men tv series with other characters from MCU or new mutants altogether

Advertisement