Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CK407- Mathematical Sciences

• 31-08-2009 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if my choice of elective modules in first year will have any bearing on which stream I am eligible for from second year onwards?

At the end of first year the course splits into Financial Mathematics and Actuarial Science; Mathematical Sciences; Applied Mathematics and Physics; and Mathematics and Physics.

If I want to do financial maths, will I have to pick only finance/ economics type modules from the list or should I just choose what looks interesting to me, even if it's computer programming or physics or chemistry or something? I checked the College Calendar and Book of Modules on the UCC website but couldn't find an answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

not sure on that mate.
    but personal opinion. would u not be better off taking the ones that you plan on doing the full degree in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 surfandturf

If you want to do Financial after 1st year it is advisable to pick Business Finance and Economics! Although they are not necesscary, if you do go down the financial route you will have to take one of them in 3rd year as your elective module .. have a look http://http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/science/sci008.html :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Thanks. I was thinking along those same lines myself, but I wasn't sure if I would be closing doors for myself early on by my choice of modules for 1st year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dermo1987

Choice of elective modules doesn't affect your options next year.
    But if you choose economics and accounting modules you will be eligible for more actuarial exemptions, which you might be interested in a few years down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Not too sure about Financial Maths, but if you wanted to do Maths & Physics you'd have to take PY1052 and PY1053. They're both 10 credit modules so you'd be using up all your electives with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement