Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Original Vice City - Best GTA?

Options
  • 19-06-2014 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I sold my copy of GTA 5 last week and downloaded this from the playstation store. Obviously graphic wise, this isn't as good but I think the gameplay, characters, setting, humour, soundtrack is just that bit better. Am I the only one who thinks this is the pinnacle of the GTA series or am I just old fashioned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Wpa23

san andreas my fav by far.... downloaded it for my ipad but the controls makes it so hard or impossible to use snipers for missions :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Boring map to free roam

San Andreas had it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

SA was good but the map is too big, missions aren't as fun, lacks humour, gym/eating/girlfriend etc. is not what GTA is truly about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Vice city told a good story and felt perfect at the time but SA was on another level. You could get lost in that game for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I think Vice City is the best in the series. It had a great atmosphere and soundtrack. At the time it vastly improved on GTA3 - which was amazing in its own right.

Sure San Andreas had a bigger map. But there is just something about Vice City that stands out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Vice City is my favourite really, although GTA V is better overall. Mainly due to advancements in technology. The style of Vice City is superior though. The only thing it lacks in comparison to the newer ones is map size and free roaming stuff.
    Soundtrack, and story etc, were brilliant in Vice City. Maybe if I went back and played it, I'd think differently, but at the time I absolutely loved it, and got immersed in it. That was something I never got from SA or GTA IV. GTA 3 I felt was muck. But ye, GTA V and Vice City are up there as the top 2 either way, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd love a new version of Vice City. Same setting etc. but with new technology

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is still my favourite and had the best soundtrack in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I thought it was ground breaking at the time but San Andreas really blew me away.
    Roaming around the countryside and listening to the mental radio shows was great craic altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Loved the free roaming of SA, but Vice City really represents what GTA is all about. Recreating Vice City with the new technology would be brilliant! I can see my life ending already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I loved GTA 3 and still play it today. Vice City simply took all the best parts and improved on them to make a damn near perfect game. The only issue is the inability to swim but that was something they had yet to work out. Everything else they got spot on.

It's kind of funny to think the game was originally only supposed to be an add on for GTA 3 but at some point it was changed it its own game.

They then lost their shit with San Andreas and tried to do too much which made for an awful game with some of the least likeable characters ever. They then went too far in the opposite direction for GTA IV.

They struck gold with Vice City and should have kept doing what they were doing instead of what they ended up doing with San Andreas.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Westeros wrote: »
    Loved the free roaming of SA, but Vice City really represents what GTA is all about. Recreating Vice City with the new technology would be brilliant! I can see my life ending already.

I would as well but I'm not too sure if GTAs traditional style and gameplay has been translated very well onto the latest gen consoles i.e. IV and V on PS3/360. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the newest additions of other popular games such as Gran Turismo and COD vs older versions on the Ps2 but GTA just ain't the same anymore. I remember when I first played GTA 4 & 5, my head said this is a better game but my heart quickly disagreed. It would be great if Rockstar released a new GTA on Playstation 2 or first Xbox but sadly this will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Vice city is my favourite. The humour was great in it. And the 80's just works really well for the GTA style of game.
    I'll echo what a few others said, an updated Vice City would be great. Music on GTA5 was the biggest letdown for me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Vice City has the best soundtrack, but San Andreas is a better game I think.

V is the best though, the depth and attention to detail (which is always a GTA strong point to be fair) as well as the 3 distinct yet intertwined characters and stories AND a very enjoyable multiplayer seals it for me. I'd love to see t the series revisit Vice City though in t this generation of hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭badger57

San Andreas was the best, soundtrack too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Vice city.
    GTA 3
    San andreas
    GTA 5

In that order.
    Vice city gave me one of those rare moments where you feel you are actually in the game itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 craigfoster

SA was probly my fav just because had good characters and you could also do anything from BMX's to jetpacks. But the new GTA 5 was also very very good i had alot of fun with it and still am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Found a proof of concept today that might be relevant.

Someone basically reimagined Vice City using the RAGE engine.

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/8993/article/mind-blown-16-games-in-a-different-graphics-engine/ (2nd page)

Actually, I'll just link direct to the video:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Was there always that much traffic in the PC version, or is it due to the modifications they have made?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stephenamccann

San Andreas was king

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭murty01

Vice City was by far the best for me. But I think it was just due the time of my life then. At 24 life just revolved around work, a few bevvies, craic with me mates and me PS2. Vice City was freedom encapsulated for me. I'd lose myself for hours in it oblivious to life around me. No game, bar SOCOM Navy Seals maybe, held me like it. I had invested so much of my life in it at the time that the next GTA that had the misfortune of coming after it just couldn't live up to it. The characters, the cars and the incredible, never to be beaten, soundtrack? And so San Andreas never stood a chance for me. Sorry SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The story in Vice City was brilliant. Helped that my favourite film was Scarface and 80's had the best music. That mixed with the neon lights and f*ckin awesome cars like the Countach and Comet screamed 80's. Liotta did an excellent job as well.

A remake in the new engine would be class but they would need to create a new map, was the only downpoint of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Vice city emotionally sticks in my mind the most!
    At the time I think it just hit the nail on the head samurai swords and vespas what a great way to deal death that had never been experienced in a game before!
    Best rag to riches game ever!
    Later games are technicaly far superior but for me at least they missed out on sheer fun!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'll just sit quietly in the corner as possibly the only GTA fan whose favourite game is IV... :o
    IV for me just hit everything I wanted spot on. Loved the setting, liked the story, loved the gameplay.

SA is a close second, but the fact that I could never pass the flying school and the map being what I would consider to be too big and (apart from Los Santos and Las Venturas) pretty soulless really counts against it for me.

VC has an utterly amazing soundtrack (80's music FTW), but I played VC after I'd played SA and I was like 12 at the time, so the limitations graphically and technically really hurt it back then and I've found it hard to overcome those initial impression.

Advertisement