Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Congratulations Katie Taylor

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Well done Katie, great achievement!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

J-Fit wrote: »
    She's a genetically gifted athlete that happened to be born on this island.
    Yeah, no sour grapes at all. You need a hell of a lot more than "good genetics" to become world champion.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

That says nothing.
    Sure, let us know how your meeting with the most powerful man on earth goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Yeah, no sour grapes at all. You need a hell of a lot more than "good genetics" to become world champion.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

Rubbish. Sour grapes implies jealousy. No way I'm jealous of her, really. These are just my opinions and because you don't like them, you are getting just a little offended. Why would I have sour grapes towards Katie Taylor but nor Padraig Harrington or Sonya O'Sullivan?

No way I'm jealous of her, really.
    Sour grapes doesn't imply jealousy. Freudian slip on your part? I think so.

• Advertisement

Sour grapes doesn't imply jealousy. Freudian slip on your part? I think so.

Oh my God. Thanks for the lesson. Lets just agree to disagree on this one, no matter the semantics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Naomi00 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

There's always one...
    Make that two....

In addition to the very valid points about talent pool, participant numbers, etc there is the issue of boxing being a subjective sport. Looking at the scoring in the final shows huge discrepancies between the judges every round.

That point alone will always make her achievements pale in comparison to Sonia O'Sullivan in my eyes.

But best of luck to her in London.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Make that two....

In addition to the very valid points about talent pool, participant numbers, etc there is the issue of boxing being a subjective sport. Looking at the scoring in the final shows huge discrepancies between the judges every round.

That point alone will always make her achievements pale in comparison to Sonia O'Sullivan in my eyes.

But best of luck to her in London.

Hallelujah! Or something to that effect.

Oh my God. Thanks for the lesson. Lets just agree to disagree on this one, no matter the semantics.
    Yeah, its probably best for you to walk away, there's just no way back at this point.

FFS, a magnificent world beating Irish athlete comes to the fore, and look what drops out of the woodwork to denigrate her achievements. And that goes for you too, jimoslimos. Back to London with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I don't like women's boxing but fair play it is there and she is the best in the world at it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, its probably best for you to walk away, there's just no way back at this point.

FFS, a magnificent world beating Irish athlete comes to the fore, and look what drops out of the woodwork to denigrate her achievements. And that goes for you too, jimoslimos. Back to London with you.

No way back from where? The judgement of the great Doc Ruby? Like I give a sh*t about your opinion of me. Give me a break. I simply fail to see how her achievement is any less as a result of my opinion and any more because of yours! You need a little more objectivity in your life.

No way back from where? The judgement of the great Doc Ruby? Like I give a sh*t about your opinion of me. Give me a break. I simply fail to see how her achievement is any less as a result of my opinion and any more because of yours! You need a little more objectivity in your life.
    Down ye curs, there's no seat for you at the table of champions.

But do feel free to start a thread in AH whenever you achieve world champion status in... whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Don't know enough about boxing to argue this but it's still a shallow talent pool (only 12 in the Olympics?).

Deliberate on the part of the Olympic committee. They wanted the number of participants in all sports to remain unchanged where possible as theres been a gradual but continuous increase over the years.

Boxing was forced to keep its total at exactly 296 competitors, so the question was how much to reduce the mens competition by. 3 compressed weight divisions of 12 for the women was the compromise reached after tough negotiations, with the men reduced to 260 over ~10 weight divisions.

So there should be no assumptions that it was a 'talent pool' issue, it was sporting politics and money. I'd expect the womens allocations to go up over the next few Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

FFS, a magnificent world beating Irish athlete comes to the fore, and look what drops out of the woodwork to denigrate her achievements. And that goes for you too, jimoslimos.
    I think people are getting ahead of themselves with their praise here, nothing should be closed to criticism. If you want a love-in, open a thread in the Boxing forum.

I hold the same opinions on the merits of many other 'Olympic' sports and their competitors, whether it is due to subjective judging (Boxing, gymnastics, diving), high cost of entry (sailing, equestrianism) or participant numbers. Just because she's Irish doesn't mean I'll jump on the bandwagon and change my views - I do however hope she does well and wins gold (which I know, could be construed as bandwagon jumping)
    Back to London with you.
    Ah, you noticed my location :D

Truthfully though women's boxing is poor as a spectacle.

So there should be no assumptions that it was a 'talent pool' issue
    In fact one might say that the competition is disproportionately intense for womens' boxing.

I guess the Obamas knew what they were doing after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Has an Irish athlete ever dominated their chosen field of sport in the manner she has?

That clip of her sparring with yer man was scary btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

bla blacouldnt blow snow off a rope bla bla

Tell that to Paddy Barnes, a european and commonwealth games gold medal winner.

If she landed you with any of them shots, you would be dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Looks like a warrior / fights like a warrior.

I could see in those determined brown eyes.. however teh ginger bubblehead befell a similar fate

IrishAm wrote: »
    Tell that to Paddy Barnes, a european and commonwealth games gold medal winner.

If she landed you with any of them shots, you would be dropped.

Paddy Barnes,hahahahahaha

5' 6" 48kg :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

*Paddy Barnes, teh wee snide spide, why take pride when we've something to hide*

I wanna hear it bouncin off the rafters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Better get her in against one of the Klitschko's then I suppose.....:confused:

And shes what 5'7 55-60kg?

An advantage, yes, but irregardless, women boxers are more than capable of "knocking snow off a rope".

Seriously, man. Ireland, a small nation of 4.5 million, has produced one of, if not, the best womens boxer on the planet. We should be proud of that and be cheering her on, not knocking her and her sport.

She seems like a genuinely nice girl too.

I don't like women's boxing but fair play it is there and she is the best in the world at it.
    IrishAm wrote: »
    And shes what 5'7 55-60kg?

An advantage, yes, but irregardless, women boxers are more than capable of "knocking snow off a rope".

Seriously, man. Ireland, a small nation of 4.5 million, has produced one of, if not, the best womens boxer on the planet. We should be proud of that and be cheering her on, not knocking her and her sport.

She seems like a genuinely nice girl too.

Not knocking her at all. She seems like an absolute cracker.

Better get her in against one of the Klitschko's then I suppose.....:confused:

The two of them together. Whilst blindfolded. Just to be sure if shes good, like. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

will someone please slow this bandwagon down so i can get on too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

EdenHazard wrote: »
    She's real cute I think.

Would marry/10

batistuta9 wrote: »
    will someone please slow this bandwagon down so i can get on too

If tiddly-fecking-winks was an Olympic sport and had an Irish person contesting, I would be cheering them on too.

Anyone,who represents this country, at any level and at any sport, will have my support!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Well done to Katie on her 4th World Championship win.Now heres hopeing she goes on to fulfill her dream of winning Olympic gold in London this summer.

But it just got me thinking where this super athlete can go from there presuming she wins the gold.She will have done it all in amateur boxing.

America are realising that Womens Boxing can be big business and Katie could be massive.Not only is she the best amateur boxer in the world she is also a beautiful looking 26 year old woman.She would be a promoters dream and could make a fortune in big fight nights and advertising deals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Watching Katie Taylor box in the olympics is going to be the sporting highlight of my year. Can't wait and I'm super excited for her.

Advertisement