Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert Through Irish

• 14-05-2011 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Firstly, is it still possible to do a paper through Irish for 2011 if you haven't already ordered one or whatever?

Secondly, can you do just one subject through Irish, or do you have to do all or none?

Lastly, how does the extra points thing work? :confused: Is it 10 extra points, 10% extra in each exam, or 10% of the marks you don't get that you actually get by doing it as Gaeilge?

Just thinking French would be a good one to do in Irish, because most of it is in French. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

Umm.. I think you have to be going to an Irish speaking school to do it.. but you should ask your school if they'd order one for you, but I'd say it's too late now :/

I did the whole thing through Irish last year.. You get 10% of the mark you didn't get.. like.. if you got 70% in something.. then you'd be getting 10% of 30%.. so it would be 3% extra.. and your final mark would be 73%.

Actually French wouldn't be the best idea.. cause you'd have to read it in French.. translate it in your head to English.. and then into Irish when answering questions and that.. and with languages and maths and that you only get like 5% of the mark you didn't get.

And if you get over 75% in any subject you get a smaller bonus.

Hope to have helped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

Thanks a million, yeah I think it's a bit pointless now 'cause French is my best subject so I shouldn't be losing loads of marks. ;) I'm fairly sure you can just do one or two subjects through Irish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

It's not 10% of the mark you don't get, it's 10% of the mark you do get, and once you go past 75% the 10% decreases until someone who gets 100% gets no bonus.

http://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=im

Here's the official say on it.

Thanks, for French and most languages it says this:

"Bonus marks at the rate of 5 per cent will be given to a candidate who obtains less than 75 per cent of the total marks in the case of the following subjects:- French..."

So it's still not very worthwhile, I might give it a go though. Having said that, if I had done my French mock in Irish and gotten the same marks, it would've brought me up at least 3.75% - giving me an A1. :eek:

Anyone know if you'd lose marks for not being fluent in Irish? As in, if you phrase things a little awkwardly, but they still make perfect sense and would be okay to write in an Irish exam. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

I do the leaving through Irish, you get 10% up to 75% and gradually less from there on. My teacher gave me the official one for Geography, which is the same marks as Biology and Chemistry. You need 343/400 to get an A1 as opposed to 360.

Oh and as regards to French! It's not worth it, trust me. Translating the aural (tape) work from French to English and then to Irish is damn hard even if you're fluent!

• Advertisement

Yeah I've just been going through the paper to see how much I could translate. For one year in the tape, the question was "Why does Marise attend family meals every weekend?/Cén fáth a mbíonn Marise i láthair ag béilí an teaghlaigh gach deireadh seachtaine?" I said "she is obliged to by her parents". If I was putting that into Irish I'd just be able to say "níl cead aicí ó a tuismitheoirí iad a sheachaint". I'm sure it's grand, it's just hard to think of, and a tad awkward. And now that I think of it, you have very little time in the listening to translate between two languages nevermind three!

I think I'll stick with English, because I could easily lose more marks than I'd gain by answering through Irish. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wazzarooney

The hardest part would be the tape test

You don't happen to get 10% extra for doing your Irish exam through Irish do ya?! :D :pac:

Advertisement