Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭flatty

The footballers have been fantastic. I've been proud watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

There’s a definite hunger showing in the footballers that was lacking the last few years.they are far more focused and determined looking of late.long may it continue.theyre seriously keen looking and physically tougher and fitter.

If you can put 5 forwards on the field like Comer, Walsh, Brannigan, Burke and Daly then you are in a decent spot. And still have other options like Armstrong, McHugh, Cummins, Lundy, Kelly, Cunningham. Even P Sweeney even though I think he's much more suited to winter football. And the younger lads like the two Finnerty's and Conneely.

I still think we need another corner-back to play with Sean Andy and Kerin. Maybe they will put Silke there if they don't use him in the half-back line. I think Molloy will take a wing-back slot eventually. Might be tough on him to break in this year having missed all the league. The goalkeeper position is one that we always seem to have problems with for whatever reason.

I think midfield could potentially be a problem too. Conroy has disappered in some big games in recent years. Especially in Croke Park. Cooke is talented but still very young. O'Curraoin has never quite kicked on due to injuries and Flynn has never quite managed to hold down a spot in midfield. Often being picked at wing-forward instead. D'Arcy is a good prospect but I think he's even younger than Cooke.

Some very good young players waiting to make the breakthrough in the next year or two as well like Mulkerrin, Evan Murphy, etc. Pity McDaid went to the AFL though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

If you can put 5 forwards on the field like Comer, Walsh, Brannigan, Burke and Daly then you are in a decent spot. And still have other options like Armstrong, McHugh, Cummins, Lundy, Kelly, Cunningham. Even P Sweeney even though I think he's much more suited to winter football. And the younger lads like the two Finnerty's and Conneely.

I still think we need another corner-back to play with Sean Andy and Kerin. Maybe they will put Silke there if they don't use him in the half-back line. I think Molloy will take a wing-back slot eventually. Might be tough on him to break in this year having missed all the league. The goalkeeper position is one that we always seem to have problems with for whatever reason.

I think midfield could potentially be a problem too. Conroy has disappered in some big games in recent years. Especially in Croke Park. Cooke is talented but still very young. O'Curraoin has never quite kicked on due to injuries and Flynn has never quite managed to hold down a spot in midfield. Often being picked at wing-forward instead. D'Arcy is a good prospect but I think he's even younger than Cooke.

Some very good young players waiting to make the breakthrough in the next year or two as well like Mulkerrin, Evan Murphy, etc. Pity McDaid went to the AFL though.

I think this is the key point when analysing Galway v Mayo at this stage. They both reached U21 All Irelands in the last 2 years. Galway have lads from their U21 side coming into the side that are dramatically improving it. Players like Daly & O'Kelly. Then you have lads like Sean Kelly who you might not have expected but is really putting himself in a position where it will be hard to drop him. On the other hand, you look at Mayo U21 side - the lads that have emerged from that are somewhat struggling to make an impact at senior level. Diarmuid O'Connor seems to be the only one guaranteed to start v Galway. Others like Coen, Boland, Loftus, O'Donoghue seem ok but are perhaps lacking a little bit of 'x factor' and certainly would not have you quivering with fear. Nevertheless, if Mayo start with close to what they started v Dublin last year's AI final, then they will deservedly be favourites.

Nobody seems to talk about Dylan Wall when it comes to Galway. For me, he is a better half back than Molloy (who is very good) on that Corofin team. Maybe people overlook him because he wasnt involved with Galway U21s. However, he was probably the best player in Galway club championship last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Lovely double header in Pearse on Sunday; the coldest stadium in the world.

Limerick will be the toughest test of the league so far for the lads playing the beautiful game. Hurling squad looking very strong again this year, with a few reservations about our goalies. Also, John H is a good hurler, but can get a bit complicated in his game if under pressure. Tony Og used to do the same thing. Might be 'overcoaching' the teams in the city.

Footballers seem to have taken up the idea that playing for the county means something. Should be a lovely game against a county with the same ideas. A league final would be massive for Galway. Cement that with a visit to Croker for a semi-final. Let the hurlers bring back one more AI to Gaillimh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Colm callanan is probably the best keeper in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

jr86 wrote: »
    Colm callanan is probably the best keeper in Ireland

Said no one ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Double header on Sunday called off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

danganabu wrote: »

Doubt that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Callanan had two poor championship games yet won a well deserved All Ireland. He's lightyears ahead of James Skehill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

danganabu wrote: »

Well, All Star selectors said it in 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Anyone who thinks that Calanan is a better keeper than Eoin Murphy, may either step inside from the snow or have a serious chat chat with oneself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

As long as he's the best keeper in Galway. Be great if there's a better one that we haven't seen yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Last year's was Callanan's worst year in goal for Galway probably. Made a few errors. Normally he's been super reliable. Sure even Eoin Murphy dropped a high ball into his own net recently. A right clanger. You play enough games and every keeper will make a blunder or two.

He's still ahead of Skehill though as Skehill seems to have one brainfart in him per game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Last year's was Callanan's worst year in goal for Galway probably. Made a few errors. Normally he's been super reliable. Sure even Eoin Murphy dropped a high ball into his own net recently. A right clanger. You play enough games and every keeper will make a blunder or two.

He's still ahead of Skehill though as Skehill seems to have one brainfart in him per game.

It's a good sign there's debate about the goalie! If that's our biggest problem then we're laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Skehill can be good too but he was strangely dithery in Parnell Park last Sunday where he fumbled the ball several times and his handling looked nervy. For me Callanan is an excellent keeper and even if he made a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes last year it was no more than most keepers make.

His save from John O'Dwyer in the Tipp match was probably a match-winner as a goal for Tipp at that stage would have swung the momentum in their favour bigtime. But the defence is so solid now that we're not giving away too many goal chances anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭flatty

They are both good goalies.
    Eoin Murphy has really improved though and has been outstanding in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm nervous about today but it's an excited sort of nervousness not those nerves driven by dread which sit in your gut.

Hopefully there will a decent crowd as they are games which genuinely matter and should be a bit closer to championship intensity than we have seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Whats the story with the 12.30 throw in today.? definitely a first.
    Is the Galway/Limerick hurling game shown live after this or a deferred showing.?
    Looks a decent crowd in there already.

Jesus that was a dire half.

Walsh and Brannigan returning to their wasteful selves and people like Kyne and Conroy taking on ridicules shots that aren't on.

Must have missed the last 5/6 shots there.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

If Galway get anything out of this then Monaghan should be letting Kelly thumb his way home. What a daft red card to pick up when your team are on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Walsh can skin any man and then outpace him but Jesus hes so wasteful. He could make that team so much better if he'd cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭threeball

jam83 wrote: »
    Walsh can skin any man and then outpace him but Jesus hes so wasteful. He could make that team so much better if he'd cop on.

Walsh never seems to want to tap something over. He seems obsessed with putting mountains of spin on every kick to make it look like a master piece. He needs to learn that it's basics first. You can try the wonder score when you're well ahead or in tight situations but every kick can't be a Maurice fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

threeball wrote: »
    Walsh never seems to want to tap something over. He seems obsessed with putting mountains of spin on every kick to make it look like a master piece. He needs to learn that it's basics first. You can try the wonder score when you're well ahead or in tight situations but every kick can't be a Maurice fitz.

True. He's a glory hunter. I doubt the message will ever get through to him. Even for his last point I think he could've sent Sweeney through on goal but decided he'd take his own score.
    It's a pity but I don't think he'll ever change. His natural talent is up there with Michael Donnellan I think, but what Donnellan had between the ears was an ability to make the right decision and lay it off when needed. Walsh by now just won't get that because he seems to want to be the star attraction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Galway doing fine now but I'd be worried about a number of their players. Kyne, Kerins and Sweeneys could be in trouble when they hit Croke Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

jam83 wrote: »
    True. He's a glory hunter. I doubt the message will ever get through to him. Even for his last point I think he could've sent Sweeney through on goal but decided he'd take his own score.
    It's a pity but I don't think he'll ever change. His natural talent is up there with Michael Donnellan I think, but what Donnellan had between the ears was an ability to make the right decision and lay it off when needed. Walsh by now just won't get that because he seems to want to be the star attraction

It's a shame. It's amazing to see him taken off with 20 minutes to go in a close enough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

This is all very harsh on SWalsh.

On another day he'd have scored every shot he missed. He does it with his club regularly. A couple of off days with shooting doesn't make him a selfish player.

I think he'll make a lot of people eat their words yet.

closeline wrote: »
    Galway doing fine now but I'd be worried about a number of their players. Kyne, Kerins and Sweeneys could be in trouble when they hit Croke Park.

I'd agree with the Sweeney but Kerin and Lyne have been excellent. Kyne is not a corner back however. Centre back is where I want to see him.

elefant wrote: »
    This is all very harsh on SWalsh.

On another day he'd have scored every shot he missed. He does it with his club regularly. A couple of off days with shooting doesn't make him a selfish player.

I think he'll make a lot of people eat their words yet.

I hope so. I wouldn't agree with the glory hunting. I think when you have the ability to score beautiful scores it takes a bit of discipline to not try it all the time. He needs someone to have a word in his ear and try to get him to do the basics well first. He's an unbelievable talent but talent only brings you so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

League final wrapped up with 2 games to spare. Epic stuff. Heaney was motm i thought, excellent footballer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

closeline wrote: »

All 3 you mentioned there were good today, and Kerin in particular has probably been the best defender in D1 this year and marked J'OD out of it on his last visit to Croker. Wouldnt have too many worries about him...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement