Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crazy Insurance details

Options
  • 02-08-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello all, I just have a quick insurance question. I've just looked for a quote off a local insurance broker on my Iveco Daily camper and was shocked at the info they need and the cover they give. They're asking for photos all round, photos of the gas connection, a full engineers report from an Iveco main dealers and an invoice of the purchase among other details!!:confused:
    They'll only cover open driving with family members over 25 years with 5 years no claims etc. etc.
    I bought the camper 2 years ago which was a self build for the previous 5 years, and when I got it home I wasn't happy with the quality of the work in the living space so I decided to strip and replace the interior. I now have it at a point where it is useable but I have no water or Gas plumbed.

So in short, I can't provide gas connection photos, I can't see the point in the cost of engineers report as it was DOE'd this week, I don't have a purchase invoice as I bought private and I want to insure it fully open driving as a couple of my friends helped me rebuild it and the deal was they could use it too.
    So is there an insurance company out there who I could get these benefits with? The Quote I got was with Aviva seemingly.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Plenty of threads here if you just scroll back.
    30/07/13 being the most recent for example. A fair list of brokers there including Dolmens in Dublin.

It just took me a couple of seconds to find it. I'm not being smart but I have found that most, not all, of the questions/problems I've had have been covered somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ontheballboy

So I'm back to ask the same question again! I've been looking through all insurance related posts on here for the past few months and can't seem to find a straight forward answer.
    So, is there any insurance company anywhere in the world that will insure my camper in Ireland without looking for photos of gas, water etc and needing information on what colour underpants I'm wearing!!
    I got in touch with Carole Nash insurance today who would insure me only if my Camper was over 20 years old.
    Thanks again.

Hi, have you tried all the brokers that have been listed on this site?.

The DOE test, at the moment, doesn't include anything INSIDE the camper, so if an insurance broker/company insists on checking gas/water connections that must be their own ideas and difficult to get around.

Let's hope someone else has come across, and solved, this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

How many calls a week do you reckon they get form chancers trying to insure and tax a van on the cheap or who have done a half assed job on a conversion. You have to prove its a proper job and safe. Give how much time and money you spent on the camper suck it up and get the photo and report. When I got mine once the garage was SIMI it was ok

Hi ontheballboy,

Have a look at this link. You might be able to figure a way out of part of the problem.

[URL="mhtml:{E76ACC60-FC2C-4310-81C0-0B264AF6859B}mid://00000295/!x-usc:http://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal"]http://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal[/URL]

• Advertisement

Just out of interest I rang Carole Nash Insurance today to get a quote on my 1986 Bedford camper.

The only campervans they will insure are VW's pre 1980.

So I guess they don't really do camper insurance as there can't be too many of those around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Hello all, I just have a quick insurance question. I've just looked for a quote off a local insurance broker on my Iveco Daily camper and was shocked at the info they need and the cover they give. They're asking for photos all round, photos of the gas connection, a full engineers report from an Iveco main dealers and an invoice of the purchase among other details!!:confused:
    They'll only cover open driving with family members over 25 years with 5 years no claims etc. etc.
    I bought the camper 2 years ago which was a self build for the previous 5 years, and when I got it home I wasn't happy with the quality of the work in the living space so I decided to strip and replace the interior. I now have it at a point where it is useable but I have no water or Gas plumbed.

So in short, I can't provide gas connection photos, I can't see the point in the cost of engineers report as it was DOE'd this week, I don't have a purchase invoice as I bought private and I want to insure it fully open driving as a couple of my friends helped me rebuild it and the deal was they could use it too.
    So is there an insurance company out there who I could get these benefits with? The Quote I got was with Aviva seemingly.
    Thanks.

What they are asking for there are standard details required for camper that are conversions. I guess they need to establish that all of the work has been performed properly. They also have minimum requirements in order to consider the conversion to be a camper, cooker, bed etc

In fairness to take a few photos and to explain that you have a portable cooker with no plumbed gas is not a big ask, you have had since your original post last August to do so. If you have spent the last two years getting it ready an engineers report should be a doddle too. Hopefully you can explain the invoice. Probably nothing you can do about the open drive for people under 25 years old though, although your friends are nearly a year older by now (hopefully they're nearly 25!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

I don't think that it is unfair for all of these to be required by the insurance company. Camper conversions are not standard and there are a massive amount of variations in layout and build quality. Essentially, the insurance company cannot establish what it is like without pictures. It is not like a standard car, van or truck.

The gas above all is the most important as if you don't have this plumbed correctly, you will be potentially sleeping in a time bomb!

Advertisement