Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horses hooves

• 12-09-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Having just watched a video in AH with travellers racing horses on a motorway a question popped into my head.

Is it not painful for a horse to gallop on tarmac? It looks sore. I mean it must be sore on their hooves or am i completely wrong? I thought horses where only mean't to be raced on turf?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It's not painfull on their hooves as long as they are shod properly, it would be excruciating on their joints though and the wear and tear would definately put them in an early grave if this was a regular thing that they make them do. Horses should only be in walk or trot on a hard surface and only walked if its downhill, around corners or if the road is anyway wet or slippery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes it wouldnt be good for them to gallop/canter on tarmac as it would be very hard on their joints. It wouldnt hurt their hooves once they are shod properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kevhog88

travellers only trot their horses in races, they wouldnt be galloping or cantering... the main problem with them is that they break them too young and race/beat them flat out down the road at around two.. if they dont do 30mph they usually sell them on as there too slow to race competitively,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Do you have a link to the thread OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

I have seen sulkies canter and gallop (not bolting) along. Also doing extended trots all off which are bad for the horses joints ie jarring and splints formed.

If they are also not shod well hooves can split. Even normal trotting on a long duration of period is bad for the horses. What life do they have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Cantering on a hard surface can have less consussion than hammering along in trot.

These are what they call trotters, it is a trot but not a normal trot most people would refer to or be suitable for a hard surface. There are plenty of properly regulated carraige driving competitions across the water and they don't take place on hard surfaces. This carry on would be pretty sore on them. My father had the misfortune of comming across something like this on a public road, there were 8 of them though. One of the horses was pretty spooked and almost came down on top his jeep, the sulky was overturned and the horse broke free from it. About 15 of them hanging off this horse trying to hold on to it. It reared up and they pulled it over on its back, ****ing animals!

Advertisement