Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Choosing Repeat Subjects - Japanese Questions

• 20-06-2015 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi, all. So I'm planning on repeating the LC next year and I'm trying to decide which subjects to do. I know I'm going to do Bio, Phys, Chem and Maths again, all HL, because I did them before.

For the remaining two subjects, I was thinking Economics (because apparently it's just a straight learning subject, kind of like Bio, though correct me if I'm wrong on that) and either Japanese or Applied Maths. I like Maths, which is why I'm thinking about AM.

On the other hand, I know a little Japanese already, and the written LC Japanese papers I've looked at seem really easy, like I could do most of them without even having learnt anything. The main thing that worries me about Japanese is the Oral. After looking at what it involves, it seems harder and more complicated than the orals I'm used to. Especially the picture and topic sections; would they be stuff talked about in a book, or would it be like French where they can be anything?

If anyone could help me decide by explaining the Japanese Oral a bit, I'd be really grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

Fiske wrote: »
    Hi, all. So I'm planning on repeating the LC next year and I'm trying to decide which subjects to do. I know I'm going to do Bio, Phys, Chem and Maths again, all HL, because I did them before.

For the remaining two subjects, I was thinking Economics (because apparently it's just a straight learning subject, kind of like Bio, though correct me if I'm wrong on that) and either Japanese or Applied Maths. I like Maths, which is why I'm thinking about AM.

On the other hand, I know a little Japanese already, and the written LC Japanese papers I've looked at seem really easy, like I could do most of them without even having learnt anything. The main thing that worries me about Japanese is the Oral. After looking at what it involves, it seems harder and more complicated than the orals I'm used to. Especially the picture and topic sections; would they be stuff talked about in a book, or would it be like French where they can be anything?

If anyone could help me decide by explaining the Japanese Oral a bit, I'd be really grateful.

What do you plan on doing in College? I would recommend something like Geography or Religion. Both have projects worth 20% and are very easy to study for.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

Tables wrote: »
    What do you plan on doing in College? I would recommend something like Geography or Religion. Both have projects worth 20% and are very easy to study for.

At the moment, I'm doing Science in college; planning on deferring a year and repeating to aim for Dentistry.

I have no interest in doing either Religion or Geography, as both are kind of heavy on essays. Subjects with project work aren't a good option for me, either. I'm only looking to choose between Japanese and Applied Maths, as I don't think any other subjects really suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

At the moment, I'm doing Science in college; planning on deferring a year and repeating to aim for Dentistry.

I have no interest in doing either Religion or Geography, as both are kind of heavy on essays. Subjects with project work aren't a good option for me, either. I'm only looking to choose between Japanese and Applied Maths, as I don't think any other subjects really suit.

Yeah I noted none of the subjects you chose are essay based. Seeing as you are doing science I would recommend you to do Applied Maths. Physics and honours maths will help you get around the concepts of Applied maths and study for one of those 3 will likely be of some benefit to the other 2. Japanese isn't going to be of benefit to your other subjects like applied maths will and you will probably have to put a lot of work into it to do well in the oral, I imagine.

Seeing as you are going for a very high points course it makes sense, to do something that will enable you to do well in other subjects, or in part contribute to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Just to explain Japanese a bit: As you said, once you know katakana and hiragana most of the comprehensions on the exam become extremely easy. The bit that I hate is the grammar/kanji section but as long as you learn everything properly and you learn the unusual kanji combinations/readings it becomes a lot less intimidating, and it's easy enough to pick up marks in the essays.
    In the oral, for the conversation you will be asked the same sort of questions that you would have been in Spanish/French/German, except on a more basic level. (If you did an oral for one of those subjects for the Junior Cert, it will be around the same standard.) Don't worry about the pictures/topics - you get to see all of them beforehand so you can prepare what to say for each of them and just learn it off before the exam. Here are the topics and here are the pictures, and here is a general description of it.

emersyn wrote: »
    Just to explain Japanese a bit: As you said, once you know katakana and hiragana most of the comprehensions on the exam become extremely easy. The bit that I hate is the grammar/kanji section but as long as you learn everything properly and you learn the unusual kanji combinations/readings it becomes a lot less intimidating, and it's easy enough to pick up marks in the essays.
    In the oral, for the conversation you will be asked the same sort of questions that you would have been in Spanish/French/German, except on a more basic level. (If you did an oral for one of those subjects for the Junior Cert, it will be around the same standard.) Don't worry about the pictures/topics - you get to see all of them beforehand so you can prepare what to say for each of them and just learn it off before the exam. Here are the topics and here are the pictures, and here is a general description of it.

Thanks so much, this is a big help! I've always been weak in orals compared to written exams, so this reassures me a bit. I'm not sure if I'll have a teacher this time around, but since you can prepare for the topics and pictures in advance, I'm feeling a lot better about it. Definitely leaning towards Japanese now, especially since I already have a load of books on it due to it being something I've an interest in anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

Ag Science might be a good one to take considering you already have a scientific background! Very similar to biology, short course and 25% goes for a project/interview .

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

How are you planning on deferring the year?

Ag Science might be a good one to take considering you already have a scientific background! Very similar to biology, short course and 25% goes for a project/interview .

I'd love to do Ag Sci, but Trinity doesn't let you count it and Biology (last I checked, for Dentistry at least). That's the only reason I'm not doing it.

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    How are you planning on deferring the year?

The normal way? I checked around and it seemed pretty simple to do, at least in my college.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

I'd love to do Ag Sci, but Trinity doesn't let you count it and Biology (last I checked, for Dentistry at least). That's the only reason I'm not doing it.

The normal way? I checked around and it seemed pretty simple to do, at least in my college.

How does it work though? Can you just ask them for the year off they're like yeah grand? I was under the impression you could only do so under certain circumstances; medical or financial etc

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

You can count them both for points but not for requirements. You're doing chemistry and biology so they make your two science subject requirements. You can count Ag the way you would count Music or Geography!

• Advertisement

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    How does it work though? Can you just ask them for the year off they're like yeah grand? I was under the impression you could only do so under certain circumstances; medical or financial etc

In my college you supposedly fill out a form, get it signed by someone specific and then you're good to go without too many fees as long as you get it sorted before the end of October. The form does have a section for giving your reason but it's only a few lines so I doubt it comes into it all that much. But I think that really depends on which college you're in.

You can count them both for points but not for requirements. You're doing chemistry and biology so they make your two science subject requirements. You can count Ag the way you would count Music or Geography!

Oh, is that how that works? Had no idea you could still count them both for points. I'll have to take another look at it, then. Though you need a teacher for Ag Sci because of the project, right? That might complicate things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Though you need a teacher for Ag Sci because of the project, right? That might complicate things.

That doesn't have to be an issue. Drop into your old school and ask is anyone willing/qualified to supervise you. Most schools are happy to help out past pupils.

spurious wrote: »
    That doesn't have to be an issue. Drop into your old school and ask is anyone willing/qualified to supervise you. Most schools are happy to help out past pupils.

I've asked about this at my old school previously, but they're not interested. I guess this means I'd need to take up Ag Sci in a repeat school or something to be able to do it at all?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Perhaps you could find somewhere doing it in night classes? Or try another school? Do you intend working yourself at home to repeat or attending a school?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Are you aware that you need a third language to study Dentistry?
    Meaning that's it's not a choice.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Are you aware that you need a third language to study Dentistry?
    Meaning that's it's not a choice.

I'm going to use my first set of LC results for matriculation requirements. I thought the third language requirement was included in that?

spurious wrote: »
    Perhaps you could find somewhere doing it in night classes? Or try another school? Do you intend working yourself at home to repeat or attending a school?

I'd definitely prefer to be working at home for the most part, but taking classes for Ag Sci only would be okay with me as long as the cost isn't too much. I'll have a look around and see.

Advertisement