Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pokken Tournament

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Dark types like Weavile, Bisharp and Greninja for instance could work, but you're not getting something like Pikachu.

pokkentournament-pikachuelibre-trailer-750.png?zoom=2&resize=640%2C300

Pokken Tournament announced for WiiU in Spring 2016. Pikachu Libre joins the cast as the second playable Pikachu!
    (Also, Blaziken was added to the arcade roster a few weeks back, but no one cares.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The Pokémon World Championships are currently running, and as a break from the VGC/TCG stuff they've been showing some of the competitors playing each other in Pokken Tournament. Main ones I've seen that have stuck out have been Charizard, Suicune, Blaziken, and as I type there's a Machamp vs. Gardevoir match being played.

The pokémon they can choose from are Pikachu, Charizard, Blaziken, Machamp, Gardevoir, Gengar, Weavile, Suicune, and Lucario. (I think that's it anyway)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Angron wrote: »
    The Pokémon World Championships are currently running, and as a break from the VGC/TCG stuff they've been showing some of the competitors playing each other in Pokken Tournament. Main ones I've seen that have stuck out have been Charizard, Suicune, Blaziken, and as I type there's a Machamp vs. Gardevoir match being played.

The pokémon they can choose from are Pikachu, Charizard, Blaziken, Machamp, Gardevoir, Gengar, Weavile, Suicune, and Lucario. (I think that's it anyway)

Some of those players are very famous round these parts.

I had to go but as I was watching, Justin Wong was beasting fools in winners final (Wong would be considered by most to be the strongest FG player America has produced).

Seeing Spooky playing and being referred to as "the hardest working man in the FGC" always brings a smile too!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Wong just got in to the finals there. Jerk defeated Charizard :mad: Didn't realise those were known FGers cause Se Jun Park was competing, last year's Pokémon VGC champ.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Angron wrote: »
    Wong just got in to the finals there. Jerk defeated Charizard :mad: Didn't realise those were known FGers cause Se Jun Park was competing, last year's Pokémon VGC champ.

It's actually really, really unfair to have Wong in a tournament along with RIP and Spooky against non FG players, even if they're really strong at their respective competitive games :) but I understand it's the spectacle!

• Advertisement

Victory spoiler:
    And RIP is the winner, playing Pikachu he beat Wong's Weavile in the final.

It was very entertaining, I wouldn't mind if Pokken became a regular feature of the Worlds.

It's pretty interesting to see that Suicune wasn't overly prevalent at the event. He's all over the place when I play in arcades here as his ranged attacks are so difficult for a lot of people to deal with. I get thrashed by him all the time!
    It's actually really, really unfair to have Wong in a tournament along with RIP and Spooky against non FG players, even if they're really strong at their respective competitive games but I understand it's the spectacle!
    Aye. It'd be like holding a soccer tournament and then asking a bunch of high level Irish football players and swimmers to join. Both sets of players are great at their respective sports, but the football players will have a far easier time playing soccer since they're so similar, unlike the swimmers who have mastered a totally different skill set.

It was extremely unsurprising to see this tournament dominated by the regular fighting game players!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

Any Bruce Irvins fans might be interested to hear that one of Blaziken's attacks has the same animation as Bruce's b+2.

I was using Blaziken last night. I think I might actually prefer him to Weavile. He's kinda no nonsense with just a lot of straight, simple attacks.

One thing I gotta say I reeeeeally hate about about Pokken Tournament is its implementation of profile cards.
    Virtually all arcade machines use these now in Japan. You buy a card in the arcade, and then you make a profile on that card. When you play whatever game, you can swipe your card and it will load in all your details like rank, W/L, character customizations, etc.
    Usually I love this stuff. It's fun having your custom profiles and costumes all ready to go at the swipe of a card, and generally it's 100% optional cosmetic stuff.

Pokken however is a bit sneakier with it.

First and most obviously is that when you play without a profile card, you do not have access to all the Assist Pokemon. These are unlocked as you level up meaning to properly compete you need to have a leveled up Pokemon.
    Second is that as you level up, your Pokemon's stats increase. You can choose from 4 stats to increase at each level up: close attacks, far attacks, assists and burst mode. A level 20 vs a level 1 is a fairly noticeable difference.

This obviously makes it difficult to have a properly balanced game. Either you don't have all assists or you probably have lopsided stats.

So that's the straight up gameplay stuff. Aside from that you can also customize your Pokemon trainer, who serves as your avatar in the game. You earn currency for every match you play and can spend that currency to buy new clothes and items for your trainer. As you win matches and meet other conditions you also unlock new items directly... but this is where Pokken gets really dirty. To avail of any of this customization stuff you need to buy a Premium Pokken account, which is 300yen per month.

So to reiterate, it costs 1 euro per game to even play Pokken, then they let you earn in game money and items, but to use any of those items you need to pay another 3 euro a month.

This last point is tied to all of the above. Blaziken released at the start of August.. sort of. For one month he is only available to those with profile cards. After that month he joins the full roster as normal. In order to unlock him during that period you need to pay a bunch of in game currency.
    Something I did not get a chance to check though was if you needed to have a Premium account to even have the option to buy him or not, which would be especially awful.

tl;dr, Pokken is super sneaky and annoying with how its profile cards are integrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm super surprised Nintendo would do that, they're usually nice with DLC strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

This is sounding an awful lot like Tekken Revolution, and that's not a good thing...

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm super surprised Nintendo would do that, they're usually nice with DLC strategy.

Isn't SM4SH €5 per DLC character?

That is a fairly crappy tactic, hopefully those sort of shenanigans will be less prevalent on a console version of the game.

Since I last posted here, a bunch of supports were added, including Dragonite and Victini, Pachirisu and Magikarp, and Croagunk and Sylveon.

They also added as playable characters Shadow Mewtwo (who will also be a boss), Garchomp, Sceptile, and Chandelure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

David on Ultrachen was very positive about Pokken in their recent episode. Definitely raised my interest level for picking it up. Video not embedded so I can put a timestamp on it, should start at Pokken discussion for the curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LRuXsuDeB0&list=PL45-KVgrSkf4QIhglNdrNqXcmd6-cmWEg&index=1&nohtml5=False#t=6m26s

Advertisement