Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom Carrier line and 35% extra cost

• 01-03-2004 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

I lived in a house 3.5 miles from the nearest exchange and I had an internet connection speed of 48KB's.

Now I have moved house and live 1.5 miles form the nearest exchange, my internet speed is 30 KB's.

My uncle works in Eircom and came out and had a look at the line and said it was due to me being on a carrier (shared line).

He was the technician over the area but got moved to head office, he showed me a cabinet 1 mile from the house where theres 100 connections, theres also a new pole at the top of the cul de sac I live down. So basically 1 days work in running a new cable 1 mile would resolve the issue.

I contacted Eircom and they said they could only gurantee the line for Phone use, and that there was no plans to upgrade the line. I called back and ordered HighSpeed thinking they might upgrae the line then, but they refused me highspeed.

I made an official complaint afetr getting no where and majority of the conversation was the Eircom rep saying I shouldn't have been given the information about the cabinet etc etc and that they were only requested to provide a line suitable for phone use (in 2004:rolleyes:)

Anyway I got a call back from the complaints department saying there was no plans to upgrade the line, she said that since the company went private they don't spend money on old lines!!

I explianed that I use the internet a lot and that I am uploading web-site quite often, now since i have moved it takes me over 35% longer to do it, so I'm on teh phone 35% longer costing me 35% more!!

Eircom is my ISP as well, I told her I wasn't happen because it could remain like this for 10 years, which would result in a huge cost on my part.

I said that Eircom was abusing it position in the market and I would be contacting ComReg. She said she will look into the issue again and get back to me.

What do you think can they get away with this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Best ring 1901 every time it rains ( especially if it drizzles) and complain about crackling and 'noises' on the line. Build up a large history of faults , your line is basically faulty after all.

Keep at Comreg about Functional Internet Access, it is now a legal requirement that your analogue line supports "Functional Internet Access" which it doesn't in my view ......... also mention the faults and lack of ISDN .

Also mail Phil Nolan, the head honcho in Eircom phil.nolan@eircom.ie and demand you get what you had in the previous house....... or ISDN , keep at him. They must remove the pairgain (carrier in Eircom speak) to provide ISDN .

If your uncle could not sort it out informally you must continously complain and make lots of noise, even if you only get ISDN at the end of it all.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thanks for that MUCK, unfortunately my uncle doesn't quite get on with the Technician over the area so if he got involved he reckons it would make things worse.

Theres 13 house down the Cul De Sac so might try and get their support and sent in a letter signed by all the householders affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

get them all to report faults (crackles and clicks) when it drizzles. Ringing 1901 is free. That technician will be kept busy until they bow to the inevitable and run clean new copper.

They would also have to run clean new copper if chunks of the old crappy copper kept dropping off the poles........just like that !

M

Spoke to the head of the complaints department who said my complaint was turned down and there was no plans to upgrade the line.

She said the company was going into flotation shortly and that they weren't spending money on lines.

Called ComReg who said that Funstional internet access is not defined at the moment but eircom defined it as meaning once a connection was established. She said they were in negoations with Eircom to try and resolve this issue.

Spoke with my Uncle who is going to try and get something done internally via his manager, just have to wait and see what happens.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

How eircom can get away with claiming that less than 56k is "functional internet access" in this day and age just beggers belief, don't Comreg have any powers to decree that this is the bare minimum for a POTS service in an urban area?

Surly they are on shaky ground saying also that they wont spend any more money on lines given an upcoming floatation? , write to your TD, and as Muck suggests every time it drizzels...ring up 1901 and complain about crackling on the line!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by irish1
    She said the company was going into flotation shortly and that they weren't spending money on lines.
    LMAO

Originally posted by dahamsta
    LMAO

Yea I know and that was the manager of the Complaints dept, great organisation!

Don't worry Longfield, I ain't finished with them, I'l give the uncle a week to see if he can get anywhere. If not I will drive Eircom to changing the line by any means neccessary.

Advertisement