Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Performance Rights- need advice!

Options
  • 10-03-2015 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there! I'm a director of a kids choir and we are starting to look at competitions and public performances (for free, not for profit). I'd like to do some popular music, but I've been told you have to obtain a performance license from the copyright holder to do so- my questions are:

1) is this true?!
    2) is it expensive?
    3) a lot of music I've looked up and tried to buy a licence for doesn't seen to have any easy way to get in touch with the copyright holders- am I missing something really obvious?

Any advice or help welcomed! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Cork guitarist

Contact IMRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 piszton

When you are applying to a competition you will need to submit original scores, photocopies are not accepted.
    If your choir is performing from music sheet, those have to be originals as well. If they are singing without music sheet, you are fine.

The only problem you'll have is when you try to purchase original score, there is usually a minimum order of at least 10, sometimes 20, so you will really need to look around in all countries publishers/resellers to try to find a place that allows purchase for only a few copies.

Advertisement