Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Honeymoon

• 30-01-2015 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Where is a popular place to go on honeymoon?! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The world and your budget/tastes are your oyster here!

You can literally go ANYWHERE you want (again, within your budget!).

We spent 6 days in Vegas. We only had a week, because we have 4 kids and my mother offered to mind them but only for a week. So we traveled to Vegas on the Tuesday, arrived early evening Vegas time and left the following Monday night returning to Dublin early evening on the Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

People go anywhere/everywhere. Have you the budget for longhaul?

We went to a few places in Africa, safari, treehouses over the plains, that kind of thing. Loved it. If I was having another honeymoon, I'd either go back to Iceland again, or try to get to vietnam. I'd love to see ha long bay.

Hawaii is gorgeous, especially Maui and Kauai. I know loads of people who go to Italy and France on honeymoon.

Ireland is pretty awesome for a honeymoon too!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,772 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A couple we met on a ship going to Antarctica were honeymooning.

Coolest honeymoon ever, IMO (both literally and figuratively :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

It depends on what you want. Majority of people tend to stay in 4 or 5* hotel and relax by a pool or beach. On our honeymoon, we took a week trip around the south of Italy and another week in Greece. We had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭fits

Anyone been to Canada for honeymoon? I think we'd like a mixture of luxury and outdoorsy stuff. But am stumped on where to go in July. Italy is another contender.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The "be sensible and keep saving" choice for us would probably be Italy, but late May/early June...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Money no object? I've always fancied Tathiti. Get married on Antigua then honeymoon in Tathiti. But then I remembered that I'm not Beyoncé and my husband's not Jay Z so we honeymooned in Portugal. The Algarve, Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

Sorry to jump on to your thread OP, but Im hoping some of the answers you get will help us too.
    We are struggling at the minute for honeymoon ideas. We have a hefty enough budget of €5000, but can't really decide. Its looking like Maldives, Sey Chellles at the minute, but would love something different.

Where is good in September?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Roddylarge wrote: »

September is pretty awesome time of year for safari if you're looking for something different. You can add on a bit of beach in zanzibar as well if you head to tanzania or kenya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

fits wrote: »
    Anyone been to Canada for honeymoon?

I've been to Canada (though not on honeymoon) and would really recommend it, there are some fabulous places in the national parks of BC / Alberta which would make great honeymoon locations in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The time of year will be a factor too. We were married in early June so it was between Europe and the USA for us. In the end we went island hopping in Croatia and it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

mmm haha Im very easily pleased id love a weekend in Baltimore Caseys and a nice plate or Crab Claws mmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Sorry to jump on to your thread OP, but Im hoping some of the answers you get will help us too.
    We are struggling at the minute for honeymoon ideas. We have a hefty enough budget of €5000, but can't really decide. Its looking like Maldives, Sey Chellles at the minute, but would love something different.

September is a pretty bad month when it comes down to raining seasons, hurricane seasons and typhoons. Do extensive research on the location , talk to someone who has been there that time of year, it isnt worth the risk on the money you'd spend.

Also Maldives seems like an absoloutely do nothing but read a book place so if spending more than 5 days there , ya know yourself, bring a kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Dolbert wrote: »
    In the end we went island hopping in Croatia and it was brilliant.

Talk to me buddy.... What where when and where :P

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

Dolbert wrote: »
    The time of year will be a factor too. We were married in early June so it was between Europe and the USA for us. In the end we went island hopping in Croatia and it was brilliant.

Any tips for Croatia Dolbert? We'll hopefully be getting away for 10 days at the start of June and I've always liked the idea of Croatia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Why go anywhere now if ye don't really know what ye would like to do. why don't ye just save the money and go later when ye have it figured out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

We went to an island in the Maldives for 2 weeks - heaven. That was 5 years ago and I still think about it almost every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

We're just back from a 10 day self drive tour around Iceland - amazing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We're not taking our honeymoon until next year, most likely, but we're planning on two weeks in Hawaii. I'm not sure we'd go that far if we were living in ireland, but we're in western Canada so it's not too long of a flight from here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Whatever you do, plan a few days of complete relaxation at the beginning. You will be absolutely exhausted after the wedding and wont realise how tired you are until it's all over.

Our honeymoon was a few weeks travelling in Vietnam and Cambodia. We started off with 4 days relaxing and being waited on hand and foot in Abu Dhabi which was a godsend. Our first night there we were so exhausted we fell asleep at 11pm and didn't wake up until the next afternoon! Bloody well missed breakfast.

Then we ended off with 5 days at the beach in Thailand. Heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

Milly33 wrote: »
    Why go anywhere now if ye don't really know what ye would like to do. why don't ye just save the money and go later when ye have it figured out

Hopefully we will have it figured out before September.
    We want to have our trip of a lifetime after our wedding. I don't know if its just me but the idea of getting married on a Saturday and then heading back to work on the Monday or Tuesday just depresses me.

We have plenty of time between now and then to decide, just looking for ideas at the minute. Like another poster said September can be a bad month in regards hurricane/rainy season. A beach in the Maldives with no distractions for 2 weeks doesn't sound too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

BKWDR wrote: »
    September is a pretty bad month when it comes down to raining seasons, hurricane seasons and typhoons. Do extensive research on the location , talk to someone who has been there that time of year, it isnt worth the risk on the money you'd spend.

Also Maldives seems like an absoloutely do nothing but read a book place so if spending more than 5 days there , ya know yourself, bring a kindle.

Sorrry to jump on too. But yeah, as far as i can figure, September is tricky. Go Indian ocean way and its rainy season and go carribean way and its hurricane season! Only way i can see is to do a carribean cruise as the ship can go outside the hurricane belt, but i don't really like the idea of a cruise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭pooch90

Whatever you do, plan a few days of complete relaxation at the beginning. You will be absolutely exhausted after the wedding and wont realise how tired you are until it's all over.

I was coming on purely to say this!
    The week after the wedding we stayed at home before going away and slept for most of the week.
    I have never been so exhausted in my entire life,and we have had some exhausting periods in our lives before now.
    You don't expect it but you just bottom out once the wedding is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

fits wrote: »
    Anyone been to Canada for honeymoon? I think we'd like a mixture of luxury and outdoorsy stuff. But am stumped on where to go in July. Italy is another contender.

Canada was a very strong contender for us last year but husband just couldn't get the time off we needed.
    Got in touch with a couple who had been and sent me a very detailed email about the their honeymoon and it sounded absolutely unbelievable. Will I pm it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

heldel00 wrote: »
    Canada was a very strong contender for us last year but husband just couldn't get the time off we needed.
    Got in touch with a couple who had been and sent me a very detailed email about the their honeymoon and it sounded absolutely unbelievable. Will I pm it to you?

Would you mind sending me that email also. We're considering a canada trip :) thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We are doing Vegas for 4 nights - San Francisco for 3 nights - Cancun for 8 nights.

Heading 4 days after the wedding.

Cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭fits

heldel00 wrote: »
    Yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

We are having a couple of nights in Ireland then six months later going on honeymoon. The states to three locations then trying to decide on final hot location for a week. It's a tough one as it depends on how much we can save. Am thinking about 5k all in so will be budgeting hard at that

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

Years ago we went to Italy. Sorrento had come so highly recommended,it was beautiful & full of honeymooners but not our scene. Rome is interesting but sooo busy. I'd highly recommended Florence (museums etc amazing) & Venice is cool to see for a weekend.
    Morrocco is fantastic, great surf & the trip to Marrakech was one of the best days ever.
    We'd love to go to Canada but think we're going to go to a really special country house with spa & horse riding etc in Ireland for 2 nights alone & then with our kids go for two weeks to Spain. :-)
    My brother is traveling around south America for his honeymoon (sounds class) & my other brother did the Maldives (think I'd be bored).
    It all depends what you want though. I think a few days relaxing followed by some adventure would be the ideal but not for everyone. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

We are getting married late July next year so will be going on honeymoon early August and are unsure where to go.

Would ideally love to go Cancun / Vegas but Cancun is hurricane season that time of year. Then we were thinking Dubai /Mauritius but Dubai is supposed to be silly hot that time of year.

Any other recommendations? We want relaxation and a bit of lively action too.

Advertisement