Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

horus kestrel 4500 nv

• 02-01-2015 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Anyone any experience using one? Bought 1 few months back but my point of impact is no where near where it's supposed to be when i have dialled on the elevation solution its given me.... ???

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't have one, as i've never seen the need for one, but how accurate is the info you're inputting? What distance are you shooting?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hollowpoint

Cass wrote: »
    I don't have one, as i've never seen the need for one, but how accurate is the info you're inputting? What distance are you shooting?

Was happy with the info i put in... chronographed the ammo i was using and all the weapon data i input i feel was accurate. Was shooting out to 864mtrs with 168grn HPBT hornady match ammo... so for example the solution for elevation i was given was a full mil more than what was required to hit the target... weather conditions where perfect, not a breath of wind....

Not too sure without seeing it in action, but one thing i would say. I tried 168 gr target rounds and they were approx 3 feet "off" where they should have been. Not to mention slightly more prone to the wind. This is all from memory so the figures may not be exact, but will give you an idea.

Mine (168 gr) were always lower. So 155 were spot on, but:
    • 168 were 30" (or average) lower
    • 175 were 10" (or average) lower
    • 190 were 18" (or average) lower
    • 200 were 26" (or average) lower

In terms of windage the 155 were spot on, but (left to right):
    • 168 were 20" right (with wind)
    • 175 were 0 - 5" right (with wind)
    • 190 were 4 - 9" left (into wind)
    • 200 were 10 - 14" left (into wind)

This was with a 32", 1:12 twist barrel all at 1,000 yards. The 168 gr consistently performed the worse and contrary to what you'd both expect and some ballistic calculators said they would.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Not too sure without seeing it in action, but one thing i would say. I tried 168 gr target rounds and they were approx 3 feet "off" where they should have been. Not to mention slightly more prone to the wind. This is all from memory so the figures may not be exact, but will give you an idea.

Mine (168 gr) were always lower. So 155 were spot on, but:
    [LIST
    [*]168 were 30" (or average) lower
    [*]175 were 10" (or average) lower
    [*]190 were 18" (or average) lower
    [*]200 were 26" (or average) lower
    [/LIST]

In terms of windage the 155 were spot on, but (left to right):
    • 168 were 20" right (with wind)
    • 175 were 0 - 5" right (with wind)
    • 190 were 4 - 9" left (into wind)
    • 200 were 10 - 14" left (into wind)

This was with a 32", 1:12 twist barrel all at 1,000 yards. The 168 gr consistently performed the worse and contrary to what you'd both expect and some ballistic calculators said they would.
    wow 168gr differed that much! I presumed with spending money on good quality match ammo i would have got better results, will try different weight and see how that goes!

What are you using? Barrel length, twist rate, etc.

• Advertisement

What are you using? Barrel length, twist rate, etc.
    Remington 700 vsf .308 1:12 26" barrel...

You are pushing the limits of the rifle.

The rifle will shoot to 900+ yards, but usually with reloaded ammo or some much better factory stuff. I've used factory ammo, about the best money can buy, out of a 24" barrel Remington and after 800 yards even the best of it struggles to maintain groups let alone good groups. The device will give projected drops based on a set of numbers. IOW how the bullet should act, not how it will act.

I still think the 168's are the problem. They are unusually slow for a lighter bullet. Try 155 stuff. Much better speeds, and better results. Look out for Lapua, or Sierra. However if you can find anything with Berger 155s then go for it.

As i said above when i used the 168s they performed completely counter to what the BC and common sense predicted.

You are pushing the limits of the rifle.

The rifle will shoot to 900+ yards, but usually with reloaded ammo or some much better factory stuff. I've used factory ammo, about the best money can buy, out of a 24" barrel Remington and after 800 yards even the best of it struggles to maintain groups let alone good groups. The device will give projected drops based on a set of numbers. IOW how the bullet should act, not how it will act.

I still think the 168's are the problem. They are unusually slow for a lighter bullet. Try 155 stuff. Much better speeds, and better results. Look out for Lapua, or Sierra. However if you can find anything with Berger 155s then go for it.

As i said above when i used the 168s they performed completely counter to what the BC and common sense predicted.

I'm more akin to using an AI 26" 1:12 firing lapua 170 grn so i had an idea of what kinda dialing i shud be doung my my .308. I know you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear but i got a gud bit done with the gun when i bought it, put d schmidt a d bender pm 2 and same 1 piece mounting bracket on and cosine indicagor aswell as anti cant level.... more money then since i reckon! So i knew at various ranges what roughly i shud b dialling on and when d kestrel was giving me say 12.5 mils for 864mtrs when in reality it might have only took say 10.8 or in dat ball park figure...

............. when d kestrel was giving me say 12.5 mils for 864mtrs when in reality it might have only took say 10.8 or in dat ball park figure...
    I'll admit to knowing more about MOA for long range stuff as it's easier to work out but a 1.7 mil difference at 940 yards is roughly 57 inches. That is a huge difference.

What speeds are you getting and what bullet are you using? Want to run it through my own BC to see what figures i'm getting.

I'll admit to knowing more about MOA for long range stuff as it's easier to work out but a 1.7 mil difference at 940 yards is roughly 57 inches. That is a huge difference.

What speeds are you getting and what bullet are you using? Want to run it through my own BC to see what figures i'm getting.

Apoligies for the delay, thought i sent it lastnite.... range was 864mtrs, kestrel was giving me .22 left for zero wind and elevation of 10.78 mils. Chronographed 10 rds and averaged at 2608 fps. 168 grn hpbt hornady. Sighting in range 100mtrs. Center of scope to center of bore 2.56 inches. Barrel 26" 1:12

• Advertisement

Apoligies for the delay, thought i sent it lastnite.... range was 864mtrs, kestrel was giving me .22 left for zero wind and elevation of 10.78 mils. Chronographed 10 rds and averaged at 2608 fps. 168 grn hpbt hornady. Sighting in range 100mtrs. Center of scope to center of bore 2.56 inches. Barrel 26" 1:12

Just ran it through my BC and it's giving me 10.9 mil for 950 yards (870 mtrs).

Just ran it through my BC and it's giving me 10.9 mil for 950 yards (870 mtrs).

There was a picatinny rail on the gun already when i bought it 2nd hand with only 100 rds put through it.... i wonder would der be m.o.a built into the rail? Would dat affect it..?

The smallest picatinny rail i've seen are usually 10 MOA which is 2.9 mil. Add that to your 10.8 actual drop and you get 13.7 mil. A full mil off where the Kestrel is telling you to adjust to.

Also a rail has no bearing on adjustments made after zero. All it does is reduce the amount of adjustment (on your scope) needed to get your zero. So once you have your zero the adjustment is still 10.8 mil to the distance you are shooting. The rail does not take off this adjustment.

The smallest picatinny rail i've seen are usually 10 MOA which is 2.9 mil. Add that to your 10.8 actual drop and you get 13.7 mil. A full mil off where the Kestrel is telling you to adjust to.

Also a rail has no bearing on adjustments made after zero. All it does is reduce the amount of adjustment (on your scope) needed to get your zero. So once you have your zero the adjustment is still 10.8 mil to the distance you are shooting. The rail does not take off this adjustment.

All seems to be pointing to the ammo, would u reckon that?

Unfortunately, no.

The ammo, according to what you said above:
    when d kestrel was giving me say 12.5 mils for 864mtrs when in reality it might have only took say 10.8
    ..... and with what i am getting with my BC all points to the ammo doing exactly what it should do. It might not be the best ammo available in terms of long range stuff, but it's doing what is should. This means your Kestrel is not giving you accurate information.

As i said above if it's giving you 12.5 mil and it actually takes 10.8, a 1.7 mil or 57 inch difference then the only problem is the Kestrel.

Unfortunately, no.

The ammo, according to what you said above:

..... and with what i am getting with my BC all points to the ammo doing exactly what it should do. It might not be the best ammo available in terms of long range stuff, but it's doing what is should. This means your Kestrel is not giving you accurate information.

As i said above if it's giving you 12.5 mil and it actually takes 10.8, a 1.7 mil or 57 inch difference then the only problem is the Kestrel.

hmmm.... an incorrect b.c. then? There is a "truing option" on the kestrel...

Your input data should be:
    • Bullet - 168 gr
    • Speed - 2608 fps
    • Scope height - 2.5
    • BC - 0.450
    • HASL - 150 ft
    • Humidity - 75%
    • Pressure - 29.5 (hg)
    • Temp - 8 degree
    • Zero - 100 yards
    • Range - 1,000 yards
    • Interval - 50 yards

I don't bother with windage unless i want to know it. In this case you're only looking for elevation. This is all G1.

Your input data should be:
    • Bullet - 168 gr
    • Speed - 2608 fps
    • Scope height - 2.5
    • BC - 0.450
    • HASL - 150 ft
    • Humidity - 75%
    • Pressure - 29.5 (hg)
    • Temp - 8 degree
    • Zero - 100 yards
    • Range - 1,000 yards
    • Interval - 50 yards

I don't bother with windage unless i want to know it. In this case you're only looking for elevation. This is all G1.

I input all dat into the kestrel and c how it goes!

Advertisement