Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retro games to play with your kids

Options
  • 17-02-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

So my daughter is 5 and she likes video games. Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario, Castle Crashers (we play together), bomber man xbla, rayman origins and more. She has played and enjoyed mario bros & bomberman on NES and SNES. I'm looking for arcade or console games we could play together.

Ideally ones that are well emulated. Have full mame, NES etc... Sets. Looking for her to get some retro skooling before she either a) decides that video games with dad is lame or b) Barbie > video games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

brianon wrote: »
    b) Barbie > video games.

Problem solved

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bubble Bobble... or Dinorex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Dead Space ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Dead Space ?

Don't think that's very retro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Snow Bros would be another good Arcade game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Unirally was a fun 2 player game on the SNES:

unirally.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

DinoRex wrote: »
    Don't think that's very retro.

Yeah, but otherwise it's perfect :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ive two boys, seven and four. +1 for Bubble Bobble we play this a lot, the simpsons arcade too. Super Pang sometimes with the older lad. Super Mario World is played a lot on the SNES.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Bubble bobble, Rainbow Islands, New zealand Story and Rodland would be good options

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Super Mario World and Yoshis Island are both pretty brilliant.
    I am also probably the sole supporter of Yoshis Story for the N64, a great game and, if she likes the 2d antics in New Super Mario Bros, it'll be perfect [/prepare for backlash]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

LoGiE wrote: »
    Bubble bobble, Rainbow Islands, New zealand Story and Rodland would be good options

You forgot Parasol Stars!

...actually Parasol Stars is probably my favourite of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Keep Rise of the Robots to the side for when they get a bit bold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

brianon wrote: »
    So my daughter is 5 and she likes video games. Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario, Castle Crashers (we play together), bomber man xbla, rayman origins and more. She has played and enjoyed mario bros & bomberman on NES and SNES. I'm looking for arcade or console games we could play together.

Ideally ones that are well emulated. Have full mame, NES etc... Sets. Looking for her to get some retro skooling before she either a) decides that video games with dad is lame or b) Barbie > video games.

rainbow island and bubble bobble are legendry games...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Actually, why not get a ZX Spectrum, play Trashman, then get her to practice her Trashman skillz by taking out the bins for you!!

Advertisement