Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Lowdown on the Low Country

Options
  • 03-07-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Belgium, most recently in the news for breaking the world record in government formation...ironically the motto of the country is "strength through unity". These days - anything but.
    But...the place does have a rich history. Colonialism, two worlds wars, Korea, Nato HQ means a wealth of military awards and medals and mostly quite affordable. Throw the monarchy into the mix and you have knighthoods and civilian merit awards.

So below in this thread, some of the items I have collected on that country.

Il y a en Belgique, des Wallons et des Flamands; Il n'y a pas de Belges.
    - Jules Destree

In Belgium, there are Walloons and Flemish. There are no Belgians.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

The commemoration medal of WW2 - this version, judging buy the tags on the ribbon, was awarded to a resistance fighter.

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

The award to the political prisoner of WW2, the stars on the ribbon bar signify the length of time detained, each star equivalent to 6 months.

DSC_0061-2.jpg

DSC_0062-1.jpg

This cross was awarded to persons deported during WW1 for forced labour. The horizontal arms of the cross bear the years of conflict 1914-1918.

DSC_0020-1.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Awarded to the defenders of the city of Liege. the front contains the text "la ville de liége a ses vaillants defenseurs" - Liege and its valiant defenders.
    The rear depicts a rather apocalyptic scene from the front line.

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

Awarded to persons that volunteered for military service during WW2. The front side bears a volunteer with a backdrop of a large "V" (Vrijwilliger = Volunteer)

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

• Advertisement

The centenary medal from foundation of the state in 1830 to first century celebrations of 1930. It show three Kings in profile, Leopold I, Leopold II (he of Congo infamy) and Albert I. The ribbon displays the national colours.

Just love the patina on this one, it was worth buying for that alone.

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

The Order of Leopold II, in this case the variant is for a Knight. Crossed swords mean it was awarded during wartime.

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

Awarded for bravery in the face of the enemy. If the deed was mentioned in the military dispatches, then a bronze palm was appended to the ribbon.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

Some very nice medals there with great designs!

I've always wanted to get some more Belgian medals, but ended up getting

swept up into German imperialism.

There will be more in the days ahead ;) Just picked up a batch and photographed them all!

Polish stuff - that is another country I want to collect more of.

• Advertisement

The Yser campaign medal from 1914 whereby the "race to the sea" was brought to an abrupt end and four years of stalemate and slaughter set in.

One of my favorite items, it is both ugly and strangely beautiful at the same time;

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Awarded for acts of resistance to the occupying forces in 1940-1945. The ribbon colour is symbolic - black for occupation, red for the blood shed, green for hope.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Commemorates the conflict of 1914 -1918 and awarded under the same conditions as the victory medal. I have two of these with different patinas.

Shiny like new:

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

Like an old copper 2 pence coin:

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

Awarded to those that came under fire on the front line. There are three versions of this medal, but the differences are very slight. It is a good solid piece, quite heavy and chunky.

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

Standard allied WW1 victory medal with image of Victory with wings outstretched. As usual of the propaganda of the time, it was not a conflict, but the "big war for civilisation". This text is standard on the allied vitory medals.

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Medal for the deportees of WW2. This medal is unique among Belgian awards in that it contains a swastika. The imagery is clear, a worker is forceably seized and ordered to leave.

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

Medal for donating blood and with extra pin! I am not normally into this type of thing but I find it looks amazing! Better designed and made than some military awards!

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046-1.jpg

Awarded to those that resisted working for the occupier during WW2. Different ribbons are possible, green with white striopes means the recipient refused to perform military duries.

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

Labor Valorem Medal of the National Association of Former Prisoners of War thus non-official - this is available in gold, silver and bronze. Awarded to those that gave support, financial or social, to the prisoners of WW1 and WW2.

DSC_0067-1.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Those are very interesting, particularly liked the WW1 Victory one.

• Advertisement

Thanks Morlar!

MedalFuhrer was telling me of a plot to collect all the allied victory medals and I must admit, its a good idea. The one I posted contains the shields of 9 allied countries on the rear. I am not sure if all 9 issued victory medals? Anyone got any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

Here are is a list of the countries that issued a victory medal:

Great Britain, Belgium, Brazil, Cuba, Czechoslovakia (Serbia), France, Greece, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Romania, Thailand (Siam), Union of South Africa and United States of America.

As far as I can remember the Cuban one is one of the hardest to get.

On a side note, Victory looks so much hotter on the Belgian victory medal

than on the British one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Brazil would be the hardest to come by and can set one back up to a thousand euros closely followed by Cuba often reaching prices in excess of six hundred from what I've seen.One word of warning though is that some of the medals in this series are copied quite often,Japan been one to be careful of.The South African version has the same front as the British medal but the revesre is different,the language is both in English and Dutch.

Jagdtiger wrote: »

On a side note, Victory looks so much hotter on the Belgian victory medal

than on the British one...

She looks like Scarlet Johannsen with wings! MM MMM MMMMM...

arnhem44 wrote: »
    One word of warning though is that some of the medals in this series are copied quite often,

That is another benefit of Belgian medals - they are not much copied since the excessive demand does not exist.

Good to know though, I was not aware of this, I always thought victory medals were so plentiful they would not be worth copying.

But if the price is high, the shysters are nigh!

Awarded for 25 years civic service. Bears the monogram of King Albert. Comes in two classes, second class is silver, and first class is gold.

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

Awarded to military personnel for loyal service during the period 1909 and 1934.

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

This medal commemorates 50 year anniversary of the 1918 armistice. It also bears the name of the coastal town of Nieuwpoort, where forms the mouth of the Yser river.

Quite an ugly medal actually. Ugly coloured ribbon, ugly design, everything about it is ugly!

DSC_0054-1.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

Cross awarded to the forces of occupation of the Rhineland.

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

• Advertisement

Medal awarded to POWs during WW2. The bar on the ribbon denotes one year imprisonment.

DSC_0023-1.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

Advertisement