Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soll 2014/2015. Please read first post!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

stevire wrote: »
    Visibility bad due to snow......? :D

HEAVY snow ;-) Not complaining!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

fannymagee wrote: »
    No prob, glad to help!

1) Yes you can, think its €2 per day. Well worth it to have your toasty warm boots handed to you in the morning, instead of battling the crowds in the Baltic free for all that is Stoll, & then battling a bus with all your gear (only for 2 mins, but still!) ;)

2) Personally I would recommend Snow & Fun (next door to SalvenStadl) for ski rental, if you don't rent in Edinger (for ease). Stoll is mainly used by tourists ;)

Im in the middle of doing my rental for Sunday and Snow & Fun are a lot cheaper!

Rew wrote: »
    Im in the middle of doing my rental for Sunday and Snow & Fun are a lot cheaper!

And better looking! (to quote Michael Lowry) ;-)

PS if you fancy some really good quality, homemade Dutch fast food, check out Monique's van in the carpark opposite the Gondola. She does AMAZING Dutch chips! So tasty ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bajj

Just back from a week in Soll, had a great time at the Bergland, great food and location. Conditions were great with a good mix of sun and snow. The quality of the mountain huts, the scenery and variety of runs never ceases to amaze me. Place was pretty quiet though, way less than previous years?? Not complaining just more room for us.

I rented again at Stoll, (second time) along with my friends, no issues, good equipment and good service. I have also rented at edinger and they are good but IMHO not as good as their price differential over Stoll and sure, aren't we all tourists.......

• Advertisement

bajj wrote: »
    Just back from a week in Soll, had a great time at the Bergland, great food and location. Conditions were great with a good mix of sun and snow. The quality of the mountain huts, the scenery and variety of runs never ceases to amaze me. Place was pretty quiet though, way less than previous years?? Not complaining just more room for us.

I rented again at Stoll, (second time) along with my friends, no issues, good equipment and good service. I have also rented at edinger and they are good but IMHO not as good as their price differential over Stoll and sure, aren't we all tourists.......

Oh my God you're so right, please excuse tourist comment lol!! Ok so let me rephrase: for heated boots alone, I'd stick with Edinger. The first time I ever came to Soll (as a pure tourist lol!) I used Stoll. To this day I feel hard done by that I struggled through a week of cold boots haha- tough times!! ;)

So.

Sooo much snow now that the roads to Kufstein & Worgl were closed today. Open again now but you need chains. Not sure if anyone is arriving on Sat & taking rental car, but worth bearing in mind if you are.

So of course it's great for the skiing, but means we now need to use a toboggan to get to & from the house, the car won't make it up the final stretch. Fun & games. Aaahh, life is hard in the mountains lol ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

^^^

Excellent stuff. Heading over on Thursday week (5th) and bergfex is showing a few small refreshers for most days between now and then. Just need the sun to come out on Friday morning for 5 days! I'd have settled for this when I booked, that's for sure!

Fanny, what would you estimate (cms) having fallen today/tonight?

drkpower wrote: »
    ^^^

Excellent stuff. Heading over on Thursday week (5th) and bergfex is showing a few small refreshers for most days between now and then. Just need the sun to come out on Friday morning for 5 days! I'd have settled for this when I booked, that's for sure!

Fanny, what would you estimate (cms) having fallen today/tonight?

Ooooh, prob about 30 in the village, 50 up top? That's a complete guesstimate though, I'll give you a more accurate report tomorrow ;-)

You're coming Thurs to Tues? Good plan! Did you find it hard to get split week accommodation?

Ooooh, prob about 30 in the village, 50 up top? That's a complete guesstimate though, I'll give you a more accurate report tomorrow ;-)

You're coming Thurs to Tues? Good plan! Did you find it hard to get split week accommodation?

Yes! I only booked about 3 weeks ago. 4 of us joining a bigger group who booked before Xmas. Managed to get an apartment in the schindlhaus which seemed to the the last one. Just got lucky emailing them as availability didn't appear on the usual booking sites. The other alternatives were all out of town so I think we were quite lucky.

Thanks for the update. Half the fun is snow watching in the weeks and days before the trip! Missed skiing in the last 2 years so really looking forward to this trip!

• Advertisement

drkpower wrote: »
    Yes! I only booked about 3 weeks ago. 4 of us joining a bigger group who booked before Xmas. Managed to get an apartment in the schindlhaus which seemed to the the last one. Just got lucky emailing them as availability didn't appear on the usual booking sites. The other alternatives were all out of town so I think we were quite lucky.

Thanks for the update. Half the fun is snow watching in the weeks and days before the trip! Missed skiing in the last 2 years so really looking forward to this trip!

Lovely, you couldn't be more central! Have you been to Soll before? You're right beside the SalvenStadl and Snow & Fun, so no problems with rentals or apres, lol! ;-)

Lovely, you couldn't be more central! Have you been to Soll before? You're right beside the SalvenStadl and Snow & Fun, so no problems with rentals or apres, lol! ;-)

Was in soll about 10 years ago. Almost 30 of us Stayed in chalet sonnnehof (I think that was the name) run by crystal. It,was a bit out of town. I remember the skiing was great although the ski bus was a pain in the ass. I am more used to ski in ski out these days so staying somewhat closer to the gondola was a must. Other than skiing my favourite memory was the ubiquitous apple strudel with cream.....

Ah yes that's a bit of a hike!

A LOT has changed in 10 years, but thankfully the Apfelstrudel is still the same ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bajj

Oh my God you're so right, please excuse tourist comment lol!! Ok so let me rephrase: for heated boots alone, I'd stick with Edinger. The first time I ever came to Soll (as a pure tourist lol!) I used Stoll. To this day I feel hard done by that I struggled through a week of cold boots haha- tough times!! ;)

So true on the boots, the edinger is first class for that, didn't use stoll as Bergland has a heated boot room and its only a hop across the road. The guys in the edinger are super efficent as well.

Just in case anyone hasn't seen it. Edinger Etiquette ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awRC6cKsqa8

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

Hi fannymagee,
    thanks again for the invaluable information, heading over next weekend so just one more important question - can you recommend a good spot to watch the merseyside derby on Friday and Ireland v Italy in the rugby on Saturday??:)

Red Horse or The Mill would be your best bets, esp if you want commentary. Ask when you get here, to be sure to be sure ;)

In other news, is anyone on here part of the hungover Limerick contingent from Snow & Fun this morning?! Your poor ski instructor is still at the Gondel haha ;)

Shaky post-Hausberg photo. Still pretty though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quii

finally coming back to life after a week of heavy skiing & drinking! have to say I was truly blown away by Soll!

great buzz around the resort, great slopes, great food, great everything! genuinely couldn't say a bad word about the place!

Finally managed to trick the skiing myself this year, was mega proud!

roll on 2016!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

Red Horse or The Mill would be your best bets, esp if you want commentary. Ask when you get here, to be sure to be sure ;)

My mistake, both games on Saturday one after the other - oh the apres ski will be good that day :D

• Advertisement

Haha Quii, great to hear- now you understand why I'm so passionate about this place!! I love everything about it, including the less than perfect bits :)

Fanny any recommendations on paragliding that operates in the soll area?

Fanny any recommendations on paragliding that operates in the soll area?

You timed that well, I was just on my way to the top when I read it, so I took a photo of the hut for you lol. If you take the Gondel to the top you'll see it on the way back to Soll & can you can stop & ask there and then, or google paragliding soll if you want to enquire in advance :)

Cheers! One other question how are the roads into Soll? Rental has snow tiers but wondering if I need to rent chains.

Cheers! One other question how are the roads into Soll? Rental has snow tiers but wondering if I need to rent chains.

No you'll be fine now with snow tyres, that's all we use. You needed chains in Kufstein a few days ago but all back to normal now. The village is flat so no worries :)

Today. Everything is awesome :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Today. Everything is awesome :-)

:cool: looks stunning

when does the season normally end there

duckysauce wrote: »
    :cool: looks stunning

when does the season normally end there

Official date is April 12th this year, possibly later. Early Easter this year too which is a bonus for kids on school holidays! Kids ski free with an adult after March 14th, in case anyone's thinking of a sneaky Easter break ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

Hey Fannymagee,

You are such a legend for this thread!

I've tried scrolling and searching through this, and I'm sure you've answered this already, but what is the typical standard of ski in soll around St. Paddys week? 14th to 21st?

I love skiing so really concerend with going to a snowsure place, but im going with a group of beginners mainly, so they would be looking for the apres ski, which is why I was thinking of going here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

Laurali wrote: »
    Hey Fannymagee,

You are such a legend for this thread!

I've tried scrolling and searching through this, and I'm sure you've answered this already, but what is the typical standard of ski in soll around St. Paddys week? 14th to 21st?

I love skiing so really concerend with going to a snowsure place, but im going with a group of beginners mainly, so they would be looking for the apres ski, which is why I was thinking of going here!

I'm thinking of organising something similar for 2016 also. Thinking of Soll or Mayrhofen. Wasn't sure what it would be like for skiing? But hoping to organise a mixed crowd. Also if doing it DIY what is best place to book flights to? Thinking of getting the flights sorted early and then figuring the rest out afterwards!!

Advertisement