Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

trying to pick a flyrod

• 29-01-2015 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

hey lads i used to do a small bit of fly fishing when i was a small lad and wanted to get back into to it basically id class myself as a beginner could anybody recommend a good trout rod/ size/ price to buy im a bit overwhelmed by all available and dont want to fork out a load of money and end up with a rod thats not suitable for me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What size of river or lake will you be fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭moreau118

only rivers and a couple small lakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Personally I woukd go for a #5 rod about 9ft.
    Your best bet is to contact a local club for what works locally and even some lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Yeah 9ft #5 would be the way to go, a good all rounder and you can't go wrong with a Shakespeare Agility Rise for 62.50. Cracking rod for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AnglingMad

You have some great deals at the likes of the online retailers right now as well and the rod type sounds right but as suggested just have a few words with some fellow anglers to make sure and think about one of the new cassette type reels like the snowbee Onyx which are not a great price but come with a few spare cassette spools so you can change your line type floater, sink tip etc. you will need a variety of lines on the lakes. John Norris had some great deals on these and lines.

Good Luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement