Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert advice

• 30-06-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi I am currently studying 2 leaving cert subjects which are Biology And Irish, had anyone any good notes or sites that I could use and if anyone got an A have u any good tips to getting an A1 ? I'll be sitting biology next year 2016 and Irish 2017 (both higher level)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

In my experience an A in these two subjects is definitely achievable if you are exam savvy.

Focus as much as you can on the oral. It's 40 percent of your over all grade. I would work hard at the oral as you can you get v.close to the 40 %. Also , the aural section is easy marks with some practice.
    After Christmas we focused on the oral only. I found this beneficial. There is plenty of time after the orals to revise the written section.

Every one thinks biology is an easy A but if that was the case , everyone would come away with one. In my experience , practicing the exam questions is very helpful. Also the experiments or section B is very easy to get full marks in. Section C has so much choice. Just learn the chapters and you should have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

I inherited the old ReviseWise Biology book written by Michael O'Callaghan. There's a newer edition by him which I'm sure is fine but I have no experience with it. Anyway, I found that extremely useful to read and was a godsend around exam time. It's missing the odd piece of information but it's concise and almost completely comprehensive.

If you're only doing Biology, this might not be as useful to you as it was for me but I'd still recommend it. Get as much practise on the exam papers and marking schemes as possible and definitely make sure that you can do the experiments in person as it aids your recall of them.

For Irish, really just practise the individual sections of the exam. The following thread is asking about German but much of the language learning tips apply equally as well:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95971262

To my knowledge, 2016 is the last year of the current set of Prós, Filíocht and Litríocht Bhreise. That means if you've already done the LC Irish exam between 2012 and 2015, most/all of the material that you learned for those sections of the paper is no longer relevant. Of course, there's no reason to be afraid of the new content. I'm just letting you know.;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So far, according to your posts Neil123, you are:
    • studying in Mary I
    • doing your Leaving Cert.
    • did your Leaving and are taking a year out
    • waiting on a FETAC place in college
    Now, which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Seems OP is a dirty liar, but if anyone else is wondering, Biology isn't as straightforward as many assume. The course itself is massive and if you want to get an A, no amount of cramming will do you good. You have to love the subject, and take a personal interest in it(which is also the same for many other subjects), otherwise a C1-B2 will be your ceiling. Speaking from personal experience, I thought I'd do great in the exam throughout the year, did lots of study, had pretty much all exam papers done, went home from the exam very much disappointed. Though if you do just 2 subjects all year, you should be okay as that gives you a huge amount of study time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

A97 wrote: »
    To my knowledge, 2016 is the last year of the current set of Prós, Filíocht and Litríocht Bhreise. That means if you've already done the LC Irish exam between 2012 and 2015, most/all of the material that you learned for those sections of the paper is no longer relevant. Of course, there's no reason to be afraid of the new content. I'm just letting you know.;)

Are you certain about this? Never heard of this before! Nearly certain the 5th years in my school are doing the same prose and poetry. So this means if I were to repeat Irish next year if have to do new poetry and prose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Seems like you're correct based on the 5th Year thread on here. I was told that the course was to be unchanged from 2012-2016 but that must be wrong.:o Apologies for any confusion caused.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Zombie thread re-zombified!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement