Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what should I do ? I failed ol maths

• 10-06-2015 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I definitely failed ordinary maths on my leaving cert. Can some one tell me what courses should I do that are level 8, in collages and will not require maths ? And I can't repeat the year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Krasava wrote: »
    I definitely failed ordinary maths on my leaving cert. Can some one tell me what courses should I do that are level 8, in collages and will not require maths ? And I can't repeat the year

Arts in NUIG and UCC and probably in other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Doing a course just because you can get in is a bad idea.

Nothing you can do now only wait for the result so don't worry about it too much.

Assume you can still repeat maths on its own. Could be an idea to work for the year, get your maths passed next June and do something you actually want to do, with a few quid in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Trekker47

Also some colleges (I know CIT does in Cork) will let you do their own maths exam in a couple months to get in, so you might consider applying for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Use the qualifax website to look up courses that don't require maths

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Krasava wrote: »
    Doing a course for the sake of doing it is a bad idea.

IMO, get a job, and look into repeating the maths at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Or go off travel and enjoy life then come back at 23 and apply as a mature student and claim BTEA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Don't be so sure that you've failed, have some hope! Take a look at the marking scheme for maths. There are so many marks up for grabs even if you don't get the correct answer. There's attempt marks, marks allocated for following certain steps, or for getting so far in a question. It's not like Biology where the answer is right or wrong, either getting the marks or not. A good proportion of the marks can be picked up as you take an attempt at a question. Hold out until August, you may very well be surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GemmaOG

If you get at least 37% they are obliged to give you the pass so don't fret! And doing a course you have no interest in is silly because for all you know you could drop out and that would jeprodise future college entry and grant opportunities :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Under no circumstances take a course off your CAO because you think you might have done badly in Maths.

Advertisement