Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Army Battalions - Fermoy

Options
  • 29-08-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some help. I am trying to track down a person (relative of gf) who served in the Irish Army, c 1928 (I assume it was for more than 1 year). All I know is his surname and that he was stationed in, or around, Fermoy. In order to get the service records from the Army, I need to know his first and last name (have last, first is open to debate), and ideally his D.O.B. and battalion, but they can do it with only battalion and name.

As such, I was wondering if anybody knew which Irish Army battalions were stationed in the Fermoy, Cork area in 1926 - 1930.

Also, is it possible to get a list of the soldiers (both officers and enlisted men) who served in those battalions during that time. I think he was known by a different name than his given name, which is why I am trying to see a list of the men serving there.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I'm not sure there were any Irish army units stationed in Fermoy in the twenties. The original barracks was burned and the old airfield remained out of use until the 'Emergency'. Maybe he was based at Kilworth Camp up the road toward Mitchelstown? But again I doubt there was much a prescence there in the twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

bluecode wrote: »
    I'm not sure there were any Irish army units stationed in Fermoy in the twenties. The original barracks was burned and the old airfield remained out of use until the 'Emergency'. Maybe he was based at Kilworth Camp up the road toward Mitchelstown? But again I doubt there was much a prescence there in the twenties.

Thank you for this. Even assuming that there were no battalions in Fermoy and they were based in Mitchelstown, would you know which battalions were stationed there or there abouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

No barracks in Mitchelstown that I know of. You might have to extend your search to other barracks in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

No barracks in Mitchelstown that I know of. You might have to extend your search to other barracks in Cork.
    11bn were based in fermoy during this period. In late 28/early 29 they went and amalgamated with 8BN in limerick. 4bn were in cork at this stage so probably took over the running of fermoy and this man may have transferred unit, rather than moving to limerick. 8bn later merged with 3bn who ended up in the curragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

neilled wrote: »
    11bn were based in fermoy during this period. In late 28/early 29 they went and amalgamated with 8BN in limerick. 4bn were in cork at this stage so probably took over the running of fermoy and this man may have transferred unit, rather than moving to limerick. 8bn later merged with 3bn who ended up in the curragh.

Many thanks for this info.

So, I suppose, the next question is where can I find the lists of service men for the 11th, and I hazard a guess, the 4th battalions for this period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Clauric wrote: »
    neilled wrote: »

Many thanks for this info.

So, I suppose, the next question is where can I find the lists of service men for the 11th, and I hazard a guess, the 4th battalions for this period?

I might also suggest contacting the museum at Collins barracks cork, they might have a more detailed record of units that were deployed to fermoy -the source I have used has its scant enough on detail, other units may have passed through as well.

Have you tried contacting military archives in Cathal Bruagha barracks Dublin? They keep service records for soldiers going back to the foundation of the state. www.militaryarchives.ie

Advertisement