Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

• 02-04-2012 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

All in here guys!

I know it's a spring training game but an interesting incident occured yesterday that could have a big influence on the early months of the season, depending on how it is handled.

Ubaldo Jimenez, formerly of the Rockies, hit Troy Tulowitzki with a pitch on purpose.

Tulo has gone for x-rays. Rockies are f**ked without him (and so is my fantasy team).

Jimenez could be suspended, it remains to be seen.

Of course there is a small bit of history around this. Ubaldo left the Rockies last year for the Indians. Recently it came out that Ubaldo may have not been trying his hardest for the Rockies to help instigate this trade away.
    Tulo came out and said he was not sad to see him go.

Then bang...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

All in here guys!

I know it's a spring training game but an interesting incident occured yesterday that could have a big influence on the early months of the season, depending on how it is handled.

Ubaldo Jimenez, formerly of the Rockies, hit Troy Tulowitzki with a pitch on purpose.

Tulo has gone for x-rays. Rockies are f**ked without him (and so is my fantasy team).

Jimenez could be suspended, it remains to be seen.

Of course there is a small bit of history around this. Ubaldo left the Rockies last year for the Indians. Recently it came out that Ubaldo may have not been trying his hardest for the Rockies to help instigate this trade away.
    Tulo came out and said he was not sad to see him go.

Then bang...
    Looks like Tulo's x-ray is negative so he shouldn't miss much time if any at all. And who said spring training games were meaningless. I checked the schedules and the Rockies dont play the Indians this season so I guess Ubaldo wanted to make his feelings known before they broke camp...

Not long to go to for the restart of the season. ESPN America are showing a ton of games live from Wednesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Looking forward to ESPN showing the Marlins Cardinals on Wednesday night, then showing the Red Sox on Thursday (reasonable time of 18:00) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

yes its almost here finally. It literally feels like I haven't watched regular season baseball since like september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Iang87 wrote: »
    yes its almost here finally. It literally feels like I haven't watched regular season baseball since like september

Spring training's too long IMO. But we're here now so let's sit back and enjoy the next 7 months.

Good luck to all your teams!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LongTail

Coeus wrote: »
    Looks like Tulo's x-ray is negative so he shouldn't miss much time if any at all. And who said spring training games were meaningless. I checked the schedules and the Rockies dont play the Indians this season so I guess Ubaldo wanted to make his feelings known before they broke camp...

Not long to go to for the restart of the season. ESPN America are showing a ton of games live from Wednesday...

I think he got 5 games which equates to one start. The general chatter out there was that he wouldn't miss too much anyway. Bud was at the game so I guess he had to act in some shape or form.

Any one listen to ESPN's podcast, Baseball Today? I've been listening for years and I find it very helpful for catching up on baseball news when I don't have time to catch games. What about Jamie Moyer as well? Making the starting rotation for Seattle at 49! Christ.

• Advertisement

LongTail wrote: »

Any one listen to ESPN's podcast, Baseball Today? I've been listening for years and I find it very helpful for catching up on baseball news when I don't have time to catch games. ]

I love it and try and listen to most days. The host can go on about the phillies too much but its a great source for daily news as I go for a jog or put on the dinner after coming home from work

Some great pitching in the early games today. All the games tight low scoring affairs. The best kind of baseball!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Some great pitching in the early games today. All the games tight low scoring affairs. The best kind of baseball!

Agreed, love it. (though watching Toronto fight back 3 runs in the 9th to take it to extra innings was great to watch also...)

8-10 wrote: »
    Agreed, love it. (though watching Toronto fight back 3 runs in the 9th to take it to extra innings was great to watch also...)
    Yea, this is the free game of the day on the mlb.tv so I'm watching this too :)

Good to see that this feature is back :)

Nice jam the blue jays got out of there!

• Advertisement

Yea it was! Its not often you see 5 infielders on the field. No team wants to score more than 4 runs so far. Something will have to give in this game though...

Yea it was! Its not often you see 5 infielders on the field. No team wants to score more than 4 runs so far. Something will have to give in this game though...

Did you stay until the end? I couldn't. Gave up after 14

it's a great service. I have the premium subscription this year as I have a 4hour round-trip commute to work and plan on watching a few games on my phone.

Didn't stay till the end but watched a good chunk of the game. Glad to see the Jays win. Huge soft spot for them. If they were central or an NL team they'd be odds-on for a playoff spot.

Did you stay until the end? I couldn't. Gave up after 14
    Nah I gave up after the 14th aswell as I had an early start this morning. Great comeback win for the Jays eventually. I was surprised to read that it was the longest opening day game ever. I would have thought in 100+ years of opening days there would have been a longer game.

Rays starting this season how they finished the last with a walk off win tonight. I know Rivera is good but intentionally walking 2 guys to load the bases in a tied game with no outs is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

First year watching baseball, I'll post some of my observations.

Exciting finish to the Yankees-Rays game there. I was reading what 'ERA' meant on Wikipedia while the game was going on, and saw that Mariano Rivera has the lowest ERA among active players. He happened to be pitching the 9th inning, so I read his bio about being one of the greatest closers ever while the Rays turned a 5-6 deficit into a 7-6 win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Big Time Timmy Jim gives up 2 HR in the 1st inning!! Arizona 3-0 up!

padraig_f wrote: »
    First year watching baseball, I'll post some of my observations.

Exciting finish to the Yankees-Rays game there. I was reading what 'ERA' meant on Wikipedia while the game was going on, and saw that Mariano Rivera has the lowest ERA among active players. He happened to be pitching the 9th inning, so I read his bio about being one of the greatest closers ever while the Rays turned a 5-6 deficit into a 7-6 win.

Rivera is without doubt the greatest closer in the game and as he gets on in age, every time he blows a save the press come out with the "he's done" claims. It's only one game so I wouldn't write him off just yet. Always good to see the Yankees lose though!!

Big Time Timmy Jim gives up 2 HR in the 1st inning!! Arizona 3-0 up!

I love that nickname. Was that just from the ESPN ad or was he always known as that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Cubbies going all the way this year!.

• Advertisement

Indians and Jays at it again today, already into the 12th inning. Wonder how many innings this will go today...

Indians and Jays at it again today, already into the 12th inning. Wonder how many innings this will go today...

It's strange how much of the crowd disappears once it goes to extras. Not just these2 games, but generally. I know Americans are big into 'beating traffic' but a game going to extra innings obviously has some bit of excitement left in it, even if it has been a poor game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Cracking game between the Cubs and Nationals

Cubs blew it realy, gave up five runs in the eighth

Cubs RP Carlos Marmol got pulled and booed off by the fans

Nationals RP Henry Rodriguez was mighty impressive and got me three K's and a saaaave in fantasy :)

I'm reading he'll be splitting closer duty with Brad Lidge
    Boooo to that idea, give it to Rodriguez

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I'm reading he'll be splitting closer duty with Brad Lidge
    Boooo to that idea, give it to Rodriguez

They're both only keeping the seat warm until Drew Storen comes back off the DL.

The Nats have a great bullpen by the way.

New to watching baseball, maybe it's common but I thought it was mad

Carlos Pena 1B for the Rays had a certain home run.
    Would have barely cleared the wall but looking at the replays it would definitly have cleared it.

Until.......a fan reached over the wall and railing and caught the ball over the field.

Officals called Pena back and gave him a double

Could you imagine doing that in a playoff game and costing your team a home run?
    You'd be lynched :eek:

The stewards came along and took him away. Wasn't getting thrown out, I assume he was just getting shifted to another seat in case he was getting hassle

Crazy :D

New to watching baseball, maybe it's common but I thought it was mad

Carlos Pena 1B for the Rays had a certain home run.
    Would have barely cleared the wall but looking at the replays it would definitly have cleared it.

Until.......a fan reached over the wall and railing and caught the ball over the field.

Officals called Pena back and gave him a double

Could you imagine doing that in a playoff game and costing your team a home run?
    You'd be lynched :eek:

The stewards came along and took him away. Wasn't getting thrown out, I assume he was just getting shifted to another seat in case he was getting hassle

Crazy :D

Do a google search on bartman and Chicago cubs

Do a google search on bartman and Chicago cubs
    I was about to reply with the same thing :)

The Cubs still have recovered from it...

Wow, that's a mad story

Deaths threats, police squad cars protecting his home and huge money offered for interviews

And the Florida governer offering asulym, nothing like a politican to make a cheap attempt at publicity. :rolleyes:
    Was funny though, very clever :D

I'm definitly going to check out that ESPN Catching Hell

I'm definitly going to check out that ESPN Catching Hell

If you have ESPN America they repeat it all the time, it was on last Sunday.

It mentions Bill Buckner a good bit too. Which is also a story worth looking up. And, if you like Curb Your Enthusiasm, they do a funny episode with Buckner, think it was last season.

• Advertisement

What a finish :eek:

Tigers win in the eleventh on a home run

Poor Red Sox, lose again

Advertisement