Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Feck off Vinnie. The last time he told us he had a juicy story about Phil Hogan, it was buried by lunchtime the following day. I hope he's not having us on again with another explosive "exclusive" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,413 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Feck off Vinnie. The last time he told us he had a juicy story about Phil Hogan, it was buried by lunchtime the following day. I hope he's not having us on again with another explosive "exclusive" :rolleyes:

Deja vu again, a nothing story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Based on what they said it sounds like more of the same. I don't think there is too much substance this time either

In reality, Phil Hogan's interference in Traveller housing policy will probably secure him some extra votes at the next General Election.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Nice dig there by Sheahan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Nice dig there by Sheahan :D

What did he say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Line up for Children's Referendum Debate with Frances Fitzgerald, Fergus Finlay, John Waters & Kathy Sinnott tonight @10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Nothing of any interest being said in any clear way yet.
    It's a pity as this Is so important

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I still have no idea how I'm going to vote. When you consider the number of children who have died while in State care I'm not sure that I want to give them anymore power over children.

I think it would be far better if they ensured that there were enough resources to help families in crisis. In this day and age social workers should be on call at weekends. It is ludicrous to have these people working 9 - 5.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I still have no idea how I'm going to vote. When you consider the number of children who have died while in State care I'm not sure that I want to give them anymore power over children.

I think it would be far better if they ensured that there were enough resources to help families in trouble. In this day and age social workers should be on call at weekends. It is ludicrous to have these people working 9 - 5.

Having legislation set out to protect children is no good unless the legislation is used correctly. How many children have died because Social Workers and other agencies were off for weekends? Remember the Wexford case of a few years ago when the mother sought help but none was available and then she drove off a pier with her children. There have been other cases too.

Having legislation set out to protect children is no good unless the legislation is used correctly. How many children have died because Social Workers and other agencies were off for weekends? Remember the Wexford case of a few years ago when the mother sought help but none was available and then she drove off a pier with her children. There have been other cases too.
    That is the case I was thinking of Tayto Lover. Sharon Grace and more importantly her children were badly led down by this State :mad::mad::mad: The poor women had made efforts to get help but it wasn't there for her. I don't think I'll ever forget that case, it was absolutely heartbreaking :( Looks like no lessons have been learned from that case. Apart from voluntary groups there seems to be very little help out there for people in crisis.

The young separated mother was in distress and called to Ely Hospital on a Saturday evening asking to speak to a social worker.

After the receptionist told her there was no social workeravailable until Monday, she took Mikhala and Abby to Kaats Strand and walked into the water.

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/report-into-child-deaths-concludes-that-tragedy-could-strike-again-3156478.html

• Advertisement

IMO and from anecdotal examples I ve heard from people who work in social services the kids who died while in the states care were in the parents or family members care or being hidden from soc services . Imagine being a social worker and seeing a kid coming back from a weekend visit to family drunk drugged after sexual activity or just upset after being back in the family chaos
    If the kids could be kept away from bad family influences then we might have a better chance of breaking the cycle
    Kids deserve a second chance

Sadly some parents are incapable of putting their kids first

• Registered Users Posts: 81,046 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not sure myself how to vote but going on stats a child in a broken home has more of a chance of survival than one in the care of the state I'm keeping an open mind. Every day theres stories about muppet parents who should'nt be allowed near kids but hard to believe statwise they are better being raised by them than the state.

Primetime did a special programme a while back and there were numerous cases of children dying while they were in State care and were away from their families.

There is a lack of appropriate services for troubled teenagers. In many cases, if teenagers has mental health issues they often have to wait for up to a year to access psychiatry services through (HSE) CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service).

Lisha wrote: »
    Sadly some parents are incapable of putting their kids first
    Very true!

As they say - If you have a dog you need a licence but anyone can have a child.

I agree MrsD but one childcare worker has said to me that by the the time at present the state chooses to intervene to remove kids from an improper home that the damage is done. The child Is by then locked in a cycle of anti social behaviour
    Yes there does need to be a huge increase in front line services available
    Yes social workers should be available 24/7
    Counselling services and parenting courses should be available Before crisis point

Primetime did a special programme a while back and there were numerous cases of children dying while they were in State care and were away from their families.

There is a lack of appropriate services for troubled teenagers. In many cases, if a teenagers has mental health issues they often have to wait for up to a year to access psychiatry services through (HSE) CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service).

It's even worse than that. The Education Sector has questions to answer too.
    I am presently doing some voluntary work teaching people to read and write. How a lad of 20 years can come through Primary School and then three years of Secondary education and still can hardly read or write is baffling. The National Adult Learning Agency (N.A.L.A.) has statistics stating that just over 25% of the population has difficulty with literacy.
    What chance has a young person in today's Ireland if they cannot read or write. It is people like this who make up most of the prison population at the present time and who are the main clients of the H.S.E. Social Workers.

Lisha wrote: »
    I agree MrsD but one childcare worker has said to me that by the the time at present the state chooses to intervene to remove kids from an improper home that the damage is done. The child Is by then locked in a cycle of anti social behaviour
    Yes there does need to be a huge increase in front line services available
    Yes social workers should be available 24/7
    Counselling services and parenting courses should be available Before crisis point
    Lisha, I have no gripe at all with childcare workers or social workers, the problem is that often they are not getting the support they need to do their job. It must be very stressful and frustrating to know that a child is being neglected or abused in someway and being powerless to act. I think the change in legislation is pointless unless resources are put in place to support front line staff.

M

How does they money go to the bondholders and how come we dont know who they are? Surely money laundering legislation should come in to this, money going to complete unknown randomers.

M

If you get a bill you have the choice to pay it, no bill, no pay.

• Advertisement

It's even worse than that. The Education Sector has questions to answer too.
    I am presently doing some voluntary work teaching people to read and write. How a lad of 20 years can come through Primary School and then three years of Secondary education and still can hardly read or write is baffling. The National Adult Learning Agency (N.A.L.A.) has statistics stating that just over 25% of the population has difficulty with literacy.
    What chance has a young person in today's Ireland if they cannot read or write. It is people like this who make up most of the prison population at the present time and who are the main clients of the H.S.E. Social Workers.
    Fair play to you Tayto, that sounds like a brilliant scheme to be involved in!

I think things are beginning to change these days, teachers seem to looking out for dyslexia now. I know people I went to school with who were very bright but had huge issues with reading and writing. It was only when they got to college or started working that that their dyslexia was picked up on.

I don't agree with a tax on someone's home.
    People are struggling now with mortgages and unemployment and getting it hard. A home should be a private thing and was not provided by the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 notagardawife

He forgot cornflakes

Fair play to you Tayto, that sounds like a brilliant scheme to be involved in!

I think things are beginning to change these days, teachers seem to looking out for dyslexia now. I know people I went to school with who were very bright but had huge issues with reading and writing. It was only when they got to college or started working that that their dyslexia was picked up on.

Thanks. You get a good buzz out of seeing someone make progress. It also improves their quality of life. Life is obviously very scary when you can't read but they develop great coping skills to get around the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

That woman is deluded with her 433k people earning over €100k a year in this country.

Min wrote: »
    That woman is deluded with her 433k people earning over €100k a year in this country.

She knows about you Min :D

I don't agree with a tax on someone's home.
    People are struggling now with mortgages and unemployment and getting it hard. A home should be a private thing and was not provided by the Government.
    I think if there has to be a property tax you shouldn't have to pay between €700 - €1,000 to call out the local fire service if you have a house fire.

I think if there has to be a property tax you shouldn't have to pay between €700 - €1,000 to call out the local fire service if you have a house fire.

If they had a Property Tax that included your water charges, bins etc then I would have no problem with it but we won't get that. It is just a revenue raising tax.

Ah Vinny, Would it be too much to expect you to stick to one subject? From the referendum to the Household charge.

I thought he was going to discuss this evening's debate. Surely, it would have been better to get that out of the way first????

• Advertisement

Defiantly , and also that you could drive on a country road without the fear of losing your car in a pothole

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement