Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Radiator only works when bleed valve is on.

• 19-12-2014 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭

I have a rad in the kitchen that heats up only when the bleed valve is on.

I have taken it off the wall and hosed in through.

Any ideas ? Do I need a new rad.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Don't get ya. Do you mean when the bleed valve is open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The bleed valve - as in the air vent?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yes, when its open. Sorry chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

ebbsy wrote: »
    I have a rad in the kitchen that heats up only when the bleed valve is on.

I have taken it off the wall and hosed in through.

Any ideas ? Do I need a new rad.

Thanks.

What do you mean? As on it heats only when you open the vent?

Sounds like something's blocked on the return side.

Do you mean the water's actually flowing into the radiator and out through the vent all the time?

This really isn't a good idea and will damage your heating system by introducing fresh, oxygenated water (if it's an open system) and could potentially cause issues with rusting and even limescale build up.

The water shouldn't be changed in your system more than absolutely necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭ebbsy

When I open the vent ( where the rad is bled ), it heats up. Then when I close the vent, it goes cold again. Rad does not retain the heat.

Is it making a hissing noise when you open the air vent?

It sounds to me like you've a leak and the radiator's filling with air, then heating for a while when you vent it.

If radiators are continuously filling with air, it's getting into the system from somewhere i.e. a leak and water's getting out.

You might want to get the system checked over professionally. There could be a small leak somewhere which could possibly be addressed with something a simple as tightening a compression fitting or using a leak sealant.

Advertisement