Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else not notice or care about the recession?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I never really felt the boom at all. I worked in a reasonably paid job and I didnt live on credit. I didnt buy a beemer on the never never and when I did buy a house It was outside of dublin and I could afford it. Absolutly nothing whatsoever has changed for me in the recession bar the USC and some other things being more expensive.

I was talking to a 20 year old celtic tiger girl yesterday and its like she lived on a different planet and differnt world to me where coke was like coffee to them and quite literally money magically appeared. Funny thing is I know her mother well and they would have been on the same wages as me so I simply cannot comprehend how these people exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

anhedonia wrote: »
    rollcall, anyone else not buy a ridiculously priced house in the boom years, and still have a job?

the IT sector hasnt been hit, so there must quite a few techies here on boards?

the recession is mentioned in nearly every thread I read, yawn, and Im thinking jesus get over it!

Anyone? Beuller?

This whole recession business is really getting old.

I hadn't noticed OP, cheers for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Ha ha i had a good laugh

We bought a resonable price house' spent a few years making it a home when we had money' both of us are not in great jobs'but i lost my job end of feb and my stamps still prety much cover all my bills with the wifes job' im going for my 2nd interview for a job tomorrow so hopfully ill get it. So woopy doody doo to me :D

Best of luck chief. Hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the whole concept of recession is based on personal perception.
    the more you invested gambled, and the more you spent splurged, the more you notice the difference now.
    for those who have been smart with their finances there is no recession, or in some cases this is their boom, by gaining from other people's losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

the more you invested gambled, and the more you spent splurged, the more you notice the difference now.
    for those who have been smart with their finances there is no recession, or in some cases this is their boom, by gaining from other people's losses.

In a recession most people have reduced purchasing power. They buy less, while prices remain high dues to rates, upwards only rent review etc. The business fails and YOU lose your job, regardless of whether or not you bought a house. That's recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yeah i noticed how sh!t business is in general.

Though I think the austerity wouldn't be too hard at all to stomach if I didn't have to endure the lengthy tales of never ending public sector fcukups and stories of how millions of my hard earned grade is being pissed away by politicians rammed down my throat by the collective media every day of the mother fuking week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Appears to be getting better i.e more job announcements and less closures.

The main effect of the recession was keeping me in a job that I dont like but grateful to have it at the same time.Hopefully people will soon have choices again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Well I'm only 20, so during the boom times I was still underage. I notice the recession a lot - mostly due to the fact that I can't get any part-time work at all because I've no experience in any sector at all. There's always elderly people striking up conversations with me at bus-stops too, asking why I haven't emigrated yet. Some of the things they tell me are so morbidly depressing that you'd be slitting your wrists at the end of the conversation (more monologue really). They're very fast to tell you how utterly awful everything is these days. :eek:

Things were always a little tight in my house though, even during the boom years, but it's very very tight these days. I just sort of take it as par for the course though.
    I was talking to a 20 year old celtic tiger girl yesterday and its like she lived on a different planet and differnt world to me where coke was like coffee to them and quite literally money magically appeared. Funny thing is I know her mother well and they would have been on the same wages as me so I simply cannot comprehend how these people exist.

Right....

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

..and people in their twenties facing long term unemployment, children with disabilities who've had support cut, pensioners who can't afford heating etc. don't exist at all apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

I never really felt the boom at all. I worked in a reasonably paid job and I didnt live on credit. I didnt buy a beemer on the never never and when I did buy a house It was outside of dublin and I could afford it. Absolutly nothing whatsoever has changed for me in the recession bar the USC and some other things being more expensive.

Haha

I love those replies.

I didn't buy a car, an expensive house, foreign holiday homes, I am so great.

Unemployment has went from 5% to 14%, your were lucky, you could have easily lost your job.

You should just admit you were lucky.I know I am very lucky.

Loads of people just like you lost there jobs.Hard working, modest, living within there means.

Media doesn't talk about them, instead has made up a world of people like your friends daughter.

20 year old celtic girl who was 14 at the time of the boom, I somehow doubt that story:rolleyes: Swimming in coke at 14 years old, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭@rti-shm@rti

Well I too am one of those lucky peeps that didn't buy a stupidly priced cardboard box masquerading as an apartment in the boom years. I don't have kids etc so that's crossed off the list too.

I do however know that I'm definitely earning less than I would have been in this sector 5 years ago and paying the same rent on top of that. I suppose I'm lucky though to have a job.

One thing I'm surprised noone's mentioned is that I'm definitely lacking on the friends front! :mad: As in sooooo many of my bessies are off in Oz etc because they weren't going to have a hope of getting work at home any time soon. That's probably the most noticeable impact for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Yeap big time. Wages have been cut by 40% and have had to cut back on everything after wife lost her job as a care worker. Also one of my friends took his own life after losing everything including job,home and then family.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Yeap big time. Wages have been cut by 40% and have had to cut back on everything after wife lost her job as a care worker. Also one of my friends took his own life after losing everything including job,home and then family.

Jesus. I'm sorry to hear.

Is there an average age on boards? I think the recession hit people above 30 most, if you bought a house at the peak 2006/2007 you would be 30 now. A lot of the people commenting here are saying they are 25 or so - you would have been too young to get fully wrapped up in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

One thing I slightly agree with the OP about is that people would probably be a bit better off if they found a way to stop worrying about the recession so much. So much negativity only makes bad problems worse.

However to say that people should "get over it"...

... "it" meaning years out of work, or not being able to buy petrol, or having your house taken from you, or not being able to afford medical insurance if you have a dependent who is seriously ill, or any of the other horrible situations that people find themselves in

... is just f*cking stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Dubit10 wrote: »

ive also found that im more aware for cries from friends, theres been alot of suicides in my area and one young lady took her life and she had 2 young children, terrible stuff, so when talking to friends you like to ask if their ok and if they need to talk about anything, i did all the right things financially and when i lost my job i was gutted, but could just about make ends meet on my stamps , i started thinking what other people must be going though knowing they cant make the bills balance!!!!

Theres always people to talk to and helplines folks , USE THEM
    and stay safe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Im just trying to gauge what percentage of the country are badly affected. Ive would reckon that its a minority.

I just didnt get around to buying a house in the boom years, not because I had some prescient foresight of a housing crash, but rather spent most of my twenties traveling and didnt get around to it. However I dont consider myself lucky, rather I consider people who dived in at that peak moment unlucky.

for the record im in my thirties.

Smugness at being lucky/fortunate probably isn't an advisable position to take.

Apart from those unfortunate enough to have bought a home at the height of the bubble, or borrowed for whatever reason, so many people have lost their income or had it slashed. Many others have suffered unforeseeable illnesses or accidents and now find they just can't make ends meet. Of course situations such as these are all consuming. I too have lost friends to suicide because of this recession and as a result am hyper aware of family and friends mental well-being.

Just hope you don't get an illness or injury rendering you incapable of providing for yourself, or you don't make a mistake in work and find yourself out on your ear, or that your home isn't found to be built on foundations of pyrite because with that attitude am not sure you'd cope too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

However to say that people should "get over it"...

... is just f*cking stupid.

People need to move on instead of complaining all the time, make an effort to get back on their feet. You cant remain downtrodden forever, or maybe you can with a defeatist attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

If the recession has taught us anything, it's that money is very, very important.

However, it is natural to take a simple concept such as money and make it complex in relation to it's importance.

There is simply a huge gap in the education system after all.

i.e. How to accumulate it, protect it and invest it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

If someone is feeling smug because they dodged the bullet (intentionally or otherwise), then I would argue that they are experiencing a sense of schadenfreude.

Who didn't see the people on the industrial wage with international property portfolio's :rolleyes: and the Harry Enfield-esque "I am so much richer than you....." attitude? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

in a way the it sector has been hit... with all the other companies closing down there is less n less it staff needed to maintain the computers for those companies.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

My Boiler went like so many things way before it's natural demise because it was planned that way .Everything we buy has PLANNED failure built into it .A light Bulb can last 50 years ...no problem and is a typical example of why we need so much money these days .
    Shopping was'nt a frequent act 50 years ago because the fashion,fads,trends machines had'nt got into full swing yet .Recession is largely an orchestrated game .Allow crime to rise and the price of property goes up with other industries appearing out of nowhere .It's a false idea mostly kept alive by widespread apathy .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

paddyandy wrote: »
    My Boiler went like so many things way before it's natural demise because it was planned that way .Everything we buy has PLANNED failure built into it .A light Bulb can last 50 years ...no problem and is a typical example of why we need so much money these days .
    Shopping was'nt a frequent act 50 years ago because the fashion,fads,trends machines had'nt got into full swing yet .Recession is largely an orchestrated game .Allow crime to rise and the price of property goes up with other industries appearing out of nowhere .It's a false idea mostly kept alive by widespread apathy .

Wrong place. You want the conspiracy theory's forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

As they say it's a recession when your neighbour loses his job and a depression when you lose yours.

There is an element of luck in whether or not people have lost their jobs over the last few years, but there was also an undeniable element of sheer stupidity in the way some people borrowed during the boom years and I'm not refering to those who borrowed big to have a basic home to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm probably taking home about €500 less a month now than I was in 2007, but I had a kid that year too so I'm not sure if it's the lower wages or the having kids that has me broke all the time: probably both!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm probably taking home about €500 less a month now than I was in 2007, but I had a kid that year too so I'm not sure if it's the lower wages or the having kids that has me broke all the time: probably both!

Nearly the same as you, are you me????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

engrish? wrote: »
    Jesus. I'm sorry to hear.

Is there an average age on boards? I think the recession hit people above 30 most, if you bought a house at the peak 2006/2007 you would be 30 now. A lot of the people commenting here are saying they are 25 or so - you would have been too young to get fully wrapped up in it.

I think your right with the age group.

The generation of people born in the early/late 70's who are now into there 30's have been hardest hit.

Alot of them had stable jobs, good enough money and fooled into a sense of financial security.

People born in the mid 80's like myself were too young and dodged a bullet.

I consider myself sensible, but I could have easily got a mortgage, decided to have start a family and then wife or myself lose or job and bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

in a way the it sector has been hit... with all the other companies closing down there is less n less it staff needed to maintain the computers for those companies.

The strength of the IT sector in ireland is not in maintain PC's, its in software development, at all sorts of levels, in every form of industry. Every company is looking for ways of making their biz processes more efficient, saving a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

RoverZT wrote: »
    Haha

I love those replies.

I didn't buy a car, an expensive house, foreign holiday homes, I am so great.

Unemployment has went from 5% to 14%, your were lucky, you could have easily lost your job.

You should just admit you were lucky.I know I am very lucky.

Loads of people just like you lost there jobs.Hard working, modest, living within there means.

Media doesn't talk about them, instead has made up a world of people like your friends daughter.

20 year old celtic girl who was 14 at the time of the boom, I somehow doubt that story:rolleyes: Swimming in coke at 14 years old, lol.

I hate them too. I did buy cars houses, holidays - the whole lot.
    I still do. Houses and apartments sold long, long ago. House I live in all paid off.

If you are ready and willing to act before a boom and spot both boom and recession before they happen then they can be great for making money. Yes, i was lucky, but i was smart too.

But if you spend all your time watching and just commenting on whats happening instead of acting, then you will not gain from booms or recessions.

Anyone tells me they knew it was coming the first thing i say is "Did you buy a house and invest in the markets before the boom you saw coming and then sell before the bust you saw coming? If they say no, then they did not KNOW anything, they guessed and things just went the way they guessed.

And to people worrying - Dont. Recession always end - just like booms. No point worrying, just get yourself in position for the recovery, so you can profit out of it. Now the 80's - when everyone from your class went straight down to the dole office - that was a recession, but we got good at snooker :)

Advertisement