Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPad Air 2 - Available from October 17th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

DubDJ wrote: »
    Can I ask what you consider is a major update? Your not one of those who thinks it's the same unless they change the physical design are you?

It's thinner and lighter, a much better screen, Touch ID added, new processors - improved CPU and GPU performance, much better front and back cameras, faster wifi and they've dropped the price of the middle and higher tiers of storage by ~€100.

I wouldn't call it a total revamp but it's hardly just minor.

No I am not one of those people.

Unless it's something that's actually going to change the way I use the device day to day for the better then it's not worth it imo.

I upgraded from an iPad 3 to an Air last year hoping for better performance and was disappointed when it ran the exact same. Was a complete waste of money.

I obviously havent seen what the new camera can do but taking photos on an iPad outside of your house is silly anyway so not a huge deal.

Do you think they needed to make it thinner and lighter? I didn't.

I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to 5 when it stopped running smoothly and felt it was worth it.

If I upgrade now to a 6 or 6 plus for the more screen space it will probably feel worth it.

The iPad Air 2 certainly doesn't feel worth shelling out for with incremental upgrades that probably won't make much difference for my day to day use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

mdwexford wrote: »
    I upgraded from an iPad 3 to an Air last year hoping for better performance and was disappointed when it ran the exact same. Was a complete waste of money.

If you can find me an iPad 3 that runs iOS 8 at the same level of smoothness that a 64bit A7 runs it on, I would be amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

mdwexford wrote: »
    No I am not one of those people.

Unless it's something that's actually going to change the way I use the device day to day for the better then it's not worth it imo.

I obviously havent seen what the new camera can do but taking photos on an iPad outside of your house is silly anyway so not a huge deal.

Do you think they needed to make it thinner and lighter? I didn't.

I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to 5 when it stopped running smoothly and felt it was worth it.

If I upgrade now to a 6 or 6 plus for the more screen space it will probably feel worth it.

The iPad Air 2 certainly doesn't feel worth shelling out for with incremental upgrades that probably won't make much difference for my day to day use.

But would a better screen, Touch ID and improved camera not change the way you use it? With the camera, I use it a fair bit indoors when my phone isn't handy or low on battery. Having great fun with slo-mo too so that's another plus for me.

I don't think they needed to make it thinner, but lighter is always better when it comes to something your holding a lot, I think that's a plus but just a small extra for me.

Weird that I came from the iPad 3rd Gen to this Air too, and I noticed a huge difference in performance. It was one of the main changes for me, other than design. I'm shocked you didn't notice any difference, it wasn't even small differences for me, certain apps stopped dropping frames and loading times were so much better.

Again I think things like a better screen, and Touch ID will change day to day usage. As well as performance and camera improvements, might be small differences but definitely noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Does anybody know if you can buy the Air 2 in the Apple retail stores in the US now edit just checked and it says coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Friday I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I just noticed Apple claim that the iPad Air 2 is the worlds thinnest tablet at 6.1mm when in reality the Dell Venue 8 7000 is the worlds thinnest tablet at just 6mm.

All of this is just advertising nonsense anyway but still disappointed that Apple lied!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Does the 6mm Dell have a release date yet?

Does the 6mm Dell have a release date yet?

I'm not sure to be honest.

I think it was unveiled at IFA.

It's a pretty great looking tablet, terrible name though :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dell's site says coming soon. All I can find is that it might be out in November. So the Air 2 beats it to market by a month, possibly several months if it gets delayed until next year.

Dell's site says coming soon. All I can find is that it might be out in November. So the Air 2 beats it to market by a month, possibly several months if it gets delayed until next year.

That's true on the availability but it was announced in September.

That makes it the world's thinnest tablet as of it's announcement which was over a month before the iPad Air 2.

Point is Apple should've done their research before spouting outlandish claims.

• Advertisement

Apple are probably of the view that until a product ships it's not a real product and they shouldn't be expected to compare themselves to it. HP Slate anyone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That's true on the availability but it was announced in September.

That makes it the world's thinnest tablet as of it's announcement which was over a month before the iPad Air 2.

Point is Apple should've done their research before spouting outlandish claims.

Is it the thinnest tablet that's on the market at the moment? Can you actually order a thinner one?

I'm sure apple would have checked that their claims were at least technically true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Anyone read about the sim Apple are supplying with the air 2? Supposedly you can choose any network with it and change from one to the other. US and UK networks have signed up to it but how would it work in regards registering on the network and phone number? I presume you have to contact the network before it will work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

guil wrote: »
    Anyone read about the sim Apple are supplying with the air 2? Supposedly you can choose any network with it and change from one to the other. US and UK networks have signed up to it but how would it work in regards registering on the network and phone number? I presume you have to contact the network before it will work.

I've heard it's only EE in the UK so far that have signed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

kceire wrote: »
    I've heard it's only EE in the UK so far that have signed up?

I saw it on Redmond pie earlier. They just said US and UK although verizon were the only US network to not sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tommylobby

Just out my order through. Delivers next week 22nd - 24th. Around 7 days till delivery.

Hey, any sign of yours being dispatched yet or is it still processing?

Tommylobby wrote: »

Mine is still processing.

Tommylobby wrote: »

Still processing here. I've a feeling these might ship from the UK given such a short delivery estimate. Although my iPhone 6 shipped from China on Monday 12pm and I had it Wednesday morning.

Still processing here. I've a feeling these might ship from the UK given such a short delivery estimate. Although my iPhone 6 shipped from China on Monday 12pm and I had it Wednesday morning.

Mine sill processing too hopefully they will ship from Uk, will def have it by Friday then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Tamworth is the UK Depot for Apple products. It takes about 18 Hours or so from their. All products I have bought from them came through there.

Travel via West Midlands Airport to a European Airport then to Dublin for distribution. My products then went to Shannon and then to Cork.

Another angle is depending if its TNT or UPS. My Apple products were always with UPS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

'Preparing for Dispatch'

Yep, mine is preparing for dispatch too.

Same here, probably be shipped tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

Could i ask what estimated delivery dates you got?

martin_g wrote: »
    Could i ask what estimated delivery dates you got?

23-27 Oct, for a 64gb black.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

Zcott wrote: »
    23-27 Oct, for a 64gb black.

Thanks i got 28th to 30th Silver 128 GB Cellular & Wifi

Preparing for dispatch too. I ordered a 64GB Space Grey Wifi - Expected delivery 22nd-24th.

22-24 oct grey wifi 128 giggles

Dispatched via UPS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

Still processing here

Advertisement