Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brining your Turkey this Christmas?

Options
  • 14-11-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

We lived in the states for a few years where we noticed that brining your turkey before roasting was a very common practice so something we started doing while living there. Now back home when we ask friends and family nobody seems to have ever heard of the concept but we have converted many over the years when they have tasted our turkey!

It is such an easy thing to do and the result is dramatic as you get a really moist, tender and tasty bird and can guarantee that if you do it once you will be doing it for life. You can have a bit of fun with your brine too which really only needs salt and water but people add everything from chicken stock, whiskey, herbs, sugar, pepper, etc... all claiming to make a difference.

So are any of you planning on brining your bird this Christmas? Is so do you want to share your secret brine concoction? If you have never brined let's see if we can convince you to give it a try this Christmas.

Our brining process is

Get yourself a large clear plastic container with a lid that a whole turkey will fit into.
    On Christmas Eve put your turkey in the container and fill with water until the turkey is completly covered.
    Removed the turkey and mark the side of the container the water level
    Discard this water, clean container and fill to the marked spot with fresh water
    Add a cup of salt and half cup of brown sugar stir until dissolved.
    Add a small fist full of whole black pepper corns, a sliced up lemon and the bare thyme sprigs left over from your stuffing
    Add whole turkey breast side down
    Put lid on container and place in fridge for 24 hours. This is usually the hardest part finding room in the fridge. A cooler with ice packs could be used too.
    On Christmas morning remove from the brine, rinse inside and out in cold fresh running water
    Dry, stuff and roast as normal

I have no idea if the pepper, lemon and thyme make any difference but the ritual on Christmas eve doing all this is fun.

PS: Google “turkey brine” to get an idea on how prevalent this is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

We normally have goose, but two years ago I roasted a turkey and brined it beforehand following a Nigella Lawson recipe.

The brine was made up as follows:
    6 l of water
    125 g table salt
    3 tablespoons black peppercorns
    1 bouquet garni
    2 tablespoons white mustard seeds
    200g caster sugar
    1 x 6cm piece of ginger cut into slices
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 tablespoon caraway seeds
    4 cloves
    2 tablespoons allspice berries
    4 star anise
    1 orange quartered
    4 tablespoons maple syrup
    4 tablespoons runny honey
    stalks from a nedium bunch if parsley

The turkey was very moist and delicious with a slight taste of christmas from the spices. Even my husband who claims that he doesn't like turkey really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Yeah, I always brine. Didn't think it was that rare, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thud wrote: »

Having read that article I think I'll just stick to not overcooking the turkey!

I usually poach the turkey crown anyway which tends to keep it moist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I fry our turkey/s so it doesn't need brining, I have injected marinades into the breast, but if you use bronze turkeys they don't really need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

We normally have goose, but two years ago I roasted a turkey and brined it beforehand following a Nigella Lawson recipe.

We're gonna try that recipe this Christmas. Gonna try it out on a chicken this weekend as a test run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I fry our turkey/s so it doesn't need brining, I have injected marinades into the breast, but if you use bronze turkeys they don't really need it.

Tell us how you fry? Do you fry outside? Love fried turkey.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Tell us how you fry? Do you fry outside? Love fried turkey.

I just use the kit I got in the states, being doing it for about 8 years now.
    I usually fry outside but under cover, rain and turkey frying aren't friends.
    The average turkey I fry is around 23 lb and it takes 3.5 mins per lb at 325ºF

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I just use the kit I got in the states, being doing it for about 8 years now.
    I usually fry outside but under cover, rain and turkey frying aren't friends.
    The average turkey I fry is around 23 lb and it takes 3.5 mins per lb at 325ºF

I have had it many times but never been courageous enough to do myself but have never seen anyone do one as big as 23lbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Thud wrote: »

I've not done it myself but I've read recently that dry brining is a better all round method, a salt mixture of one's own preference can be rubbed liberally all over the bird, left overnight and simply washed off before cooking, I'll be trying it out this year, I'll be doing turkey for the first time in a few years.

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I have had it many times but never been courageous enough to do myself but have never seen anyone do one as big as 23lbs!
    I have done bigger! I think the largest was 27lbs it just fitted in the pot, and there was about 2" of freeboard for the oil.
    Needless to say the whole thing was carefully measured out beforehand.
    I love fried turkey, it tastes so good for the length of time it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

We used the Nigella recipe last year on a free range bird and it was TO DIE FOR. All my family were skeptics, but true believers once they'd tucked in. It was so good I bought a cheap bird reduced the next week and brined it and did it all over again. Double Turkey Win. The non-free range was of course, no where near as nice as the free range, but the brine made a massive difference. Well defo be doing it again this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

We've used the brine recipe by 'the tasty chef' (Nigella) last few years, there is lots of Cranberry juice in it. The winters have been so cold we could just put the lot in a bucket and leave it outdoors in a shed for two days. The soak makes a bit of a difference to the final taste, but you'll lose all the advantage if you overcook the bird. So DON'T OVERCOOK THE BIRD! Use a spike thermometer, etc.

all set and in fridge brining away! Cup Salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, two oranges, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, and a few garlic cloves

20121224113908.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Picked up my fresh turkey yesterdeay.Strong smell off it so i rang the butcher(who i know personally) and he said bring it back and he would change it.Did so and this one is the same.He guarantees me the turkey is 100% safe and that the smell is normal on slightly bigger birds(is about 18lbs)
    Am nervous to be honest and trusting his gaurantee more than my instinct.
    Anyone else have a funny smelling turkey?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Picked up my fresh turkey yesterdeay.Strong smell off it so i rang the butcher(who i know personally) and he said bring it back and he would change it.Did so and this one is the same.He guarantees me the turkey is 100% safe and that the smell is normal on slightly bigger birds(is about 18lbs)
    Am nervous to be honest and trusting his gaurantee more than my instinct.
    Anyone else have a funny smelling turkey?

Please read the charter. We do not allow advice on food safety here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Always brine turkey or chicken myself, it's even good for simple chicken breasts (and you only have to brine those for 30 mins to an hour to get good results).

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

After this Christmas I will always brine Turkey! Gorgeous!

Made up a brine with salt/sugar/peppercorns and onion, bouquet garni and carrot. Similar boil for the ham with carrots, onions and bouquet garni, drained and glazed/baked.

Both meats were succulent and juicy, even with mistaking Alton Browns instruction to bake Turkey to 161 Degrees, I thought Celsius! My new thermometer worked like a star though.

Also, boiled carrots for puree, add a clementine chopped in eights and a whole bulb of garlic peeled. Spoon of cumin if you feel like it, I was dodge on it but went with the recipe (Jamie Oliver's)

20121225_151347.jpg

When soft, scoop out the orange and drop in to the gravy fixin's, mash and make gravy as usual.

Mash and blitz the carrot/garlic mix flavoured with cumin, add butter/cream to loosen the mix. Very unusual flavour but very nice!
    I put a couple of spoons of demerara sugar in as well as a cubed sweet potatoe and boiled it all up, was really unusual but tasty as well!

looks like we got a few brining converts last year so just wanted to remind everyone that if you plan on brining your turkey the most important first step is getting a container big enough for it and not too big so it can fit in your fridge overnight. So something to add to your shopping list!

Hey if we can cheekily bring turkey recipes back up, here's mine ;)

Which herself indoors has now declared she doesn't like because turkey is meant to be dry and served with bisto.

I think she's mostly trying to get my head to explode, but there's the horrible possibility that she's serious because that's what turkey was like growing up, so be warned that this may happen to you if you serve the best turkey ever :(

• Advertisement

Still have my cooler from last year!

C'Mon Turkey time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Great revival of this thread, as I'm brining for the first time this year. Gonna use Nigella's recipe.
    So looking forward to do this.

As was mentioned on another thread here, poaching the Turkey is another option for the moistness stakes.

I said this to my Brother in Law and he says his Mother (a Fantastic proper Mammy Cook) always poaches her chicken before grilling the skin for crispness.

I am still going to brine my Turkey, but I'm going to poach a chicken to see how that goes, never seen it done by any of the TV Chefs. It's something new anyway.

Just got turkey delivered. I can try and make room in the fridge for the 10lb bird but surely I can start brining it in the cooler box, can't I? will only be cooking it at noon Xmas day.
    I'm a brine virgin so will be a bit nervous if I mess it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

It's so cold out I'd put it in the shed and save the fridge space. In the absence of a shed, an unheated spare room/utility room/hall/porch/under the stairs does nicely in my experience. You won't mess it up!

I've brined turkeys outdoors like that before with no ill effect at all. Just remember to weigh down the lid so the cat can't get at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Or, in one memorable episode, next door's Jack Russell, whose little legs can't get him out of the bucket....no chicken at our barbecue that evening. Was tempted to grill the Jack Russell....

do you have the turkey in a container and the container in the cooler? If so you can add some ice or ice packs around it.

I'd tape the lid down on the cooler too just to be sure the lid is not opened.

Another good tip is initially heat the water in large saucepan on cooker while adding the salt so it becomes super saturated and all the salt gets dissolved. It takes very little heat for this to happen and then add some ice to cool down again.

I'm going to cook the concoction first then top it up with ice cold water, although recipe didn't state this but it's just one of those things that you know would be the sensible thing to do.

I was planning to just put the turkey straight into the cooler box. I'm not so sure of it will fit into another container before it goes into the cooler box. Look!

2013-12-23174232_zps67204e02.jpg

On second thought.....

• Advertisement

Ok done anyway. I'll put ice packs in tomorrow to ensure it stays chilled.
    It's a 4.3 bird to be exact, and I won't be stuffing them. Just glazed. I'm using Nigella's recipe which said it's between 2.5-3 hours in total for a 4-5kg bird. Gordon mentioned it's 30 min per kg including the initial high temp browning. Anyone can advice me on this?

Advertisement